Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many have wasted money on paint correction before PPF install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has nothing to do with “appreciating” anything.

I appreciate nicely built cars and I got rid of my Model 3 because I felt like it was going to fall apart. Model Y is just a slightly bigger tin can.

You are obviously happy with your Model Y, good for you. I’m sure it looks great twice a week. I personally couldn’t continue owning the Model 3 because it was so poorly built. Water leaks, bumpers falling off, cracked glass, suspension issues, noisy as hell, harsh ride. And a whole new list of things for Y.

Obviously you have no appreciation for quality.

So how does that make you feel?

I “feel” like I can’t figure out what you are talking about so it’s time to give up trying to convince you that people can have different opinions than you and that doesn’t mean they are wrong. My opinion is the effort was worth it.

What I don't understand is how those micro scratches happen to a new car in the first place. There were no visible scratches on my MS.

I do know from Tesla employees that the Red Model S receives extra care and more clear coats which is why it costs more than the other colors. My guess is if there are no scratches of defects in the paint, why go through the motions of correcting something that isn't there?

The other thing was they recommended only the front facing surfaces be PPF but the entire car with the 5 coat Ceramic pro for lifetime warrantee.

There is Ceramic on the wheels, trim, and glass.

• Disagree
Reactions: E_R_N
The Red costs more because it has three coats of paint, each of a different color, which is why it is called Multi-Coat Red, not because of some vague "extra care" or "more clear coats".
I'm sorry, I used the wrong word. I meant Red costs more because of extra labor and that it is the most difficult to match and hide variance defects.
I'm not a car color expert like you but I was a certified colorist / chemist in a former career. I matched colors for carpet dyes and know a little about the effects of how light affects different colors. Warmer colors are more sensitive to match and require extra care in application, so yes, care is labor and labor cost more. White, I understand white also uses multicoats plus a pearlescent and that is critical as well but white doesn't metamerize like red if it isn't applied just so. Therefore white will hide defects where red doesn't. I don't know if Tesla has this issue but I did when working with red carpet dyes. Every batch had to go through color matching testing and adjustments so it would print the same as my standard. Browns are also more expensive to do. Black and white were the cheapest to do. They can generally be batched up and be applied with consistency and less care.

Anyway, it is what it is and Tesla charges what they believe they need to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I know this shop well. They did my MYP. I think you are not hearing what he is saying. Lots of people don't necessarily need paint correction but lots of shops insist to increase the cost to the client. As a doctor myself, I think your analogy is incorrect. If you are hanging new drapes, you don't necessarily have to repaint the walls. You can if you want but it is no an absolute. that is what BlackOut Tinting and Josh is saying. FYI, here is my MYP being done with full body PPF and yes, I did get paint correction.

I can understand if the point being made was that shops upsell people into doing a ceramic coatings and or some kind of paint protection. The truth is, the majority of cars do actually need to be corrected before any type of protection is applied. My understanding of the point (and the video) trying to be made was that you don't need to correct before applying protection and that's not true. The wash that your car gets before you take delivery should be enough reason to have the car corrected. The orange peel on BMW's is horrendous and something that needs to be corrected to a degree before it gets protected or your paint will look dull. In regards to the drapes analogy, I think that would relate more to having tint put on. Drapes don't really protect anything(unless you have wood floors) other then stopping light from entering your home and providing privacy.

It's a pleasure to finally meet you. I've been following you ever since your M3 days and love your Hurucan Performante. :) Enjoy the new Model Y Performance in good health.

I think some are conflating Ceramic and PPF. Two TOTALLY different things.

Before a ceramic coating? Paint correction is a MUST. For SURE. (assuming you have swirls, microscratches, etc). Otherwise, those defects will still be visible after ceramic coating and probably much harder to correct/remove.

However, with PPF, the video clearly shows that the PPF when applied, totally masks defects. And when you think about it, since micros are essentially peaks/valleys in the clearcoat, the PPF material is able to cover over those valleys effectively, thus, visually eliminating those microscratches.

So again, to me, it shows..why spend significant money for a thorough quality paint correction before PPF is applied to a car? There literally is zero benefit in doing so vs waiting until the PPF is removed years later, and then doing the paint correction.

But to each his own in how he/she wastes their money.

g

I get that they are still there, but if they cant be seen until the PPF is removed, why not wait until then to have paint correction done once?

Why? Because I don't believe this:

-PPF literally completely masked microswirls/light paint imperfections and provided identical gloss/look as the corrected panel that had microns of clearcoat removed.

To be completely true. Most of the swirls? Likely. All of them? No.

Hey, it's all down to personal preference. I didn't do it on my car. To me, wasn't worth it for a daily driver that sees 25k plus miles a year. But to say that they are "completely" masked, then I don't believe that for a second.

Also:

From other videos I've learned that when PPF is removed, its common to have some light amounts of adhesive left on the paint in some areas, and removal of that usually involves a light amount of paint correction to restore paint to like-new condition..

Done correctly, PPF does not require this.

And yes, the clear coat is thin and you don't want to polish the car any more times than is necessary.

@mswlogo just curious what your prep included short of paint correction. Ceramic is different from ppf because unlike ppf which is a full overlay and is meant to create a smooth layer, ceramic just bonds to existing clear coat so it really shouldn't hide any imperfections but instead seals the imperfections making it harder to correct once it's on.

I forgot to mention. I did Clay-bar my car as part of my prep as well. Pretty easy and definitely removes containments.