Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many here actually use the Summon feature on an "almost" daily basis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many here actually use the Summon feature on an "almost" daily basis not just to show people how cool the feature it.

For the people that use it on an almost daily basis, have you felt anytime that the car might hit the garage or something else while coming out?

How many here actually use the Summon feature on an "almost" daily basis not just to show people how cool the feature it.

For the people that use it on an almost daily basis, have you felt anytime that the car might hit the garage or something else while coming out?
Almost never. Just to show someone how it works. It is slower than getting in and moving it myself.

I have tight garage space and summon doesn't like that I have a hoop right outside my garage door. It will bring the car out but won't bring it in.

And in public parking lots I try my best to park as far away where there is good clearance I don't want dings from other cars.

In summary, not much use right now waiting for the day when I can summon my car to come to front of my office to pick me up in the evening or for lunch :rolleyes:

I use summon-reverse via the App to back my X out of the garage every day. (Sometimes I let my 10 year olds do it with supervision...) I have tried it put the car in the garage once or twice, but since it faults often, I tend to drive it in - I only have a 6 inch clearance on each side so I trust me to put it in, but I trust summon more to reverse the process.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zero Emissions
How well does summon do with opening and closing the garage door in the process?

My dream is, come home from work. Disembark from the X, use summon to open the garage door via home link, park the X inside. In the morning do the reverse. Also if possible do it without supervision and all by press of just a button.

Am I dreaming?

How well does summon do with opening and closing the garage door in the process?

My dream is, come home from work. Disembark from the X, use summon to open the garage door via home link, park the X inside. In the morning do the reverse. Also if possible do it without supervision and all by press of just a button.

Am I dreaming?
The opening/closing the garage works pretty nicely and yeah all dreams of doing without supervision or just click of a button got put on hold courtesy CR that made a stink about it and TM modified summon so now you have to keep the fob or the direction button on the app pressed which basically means you have to be watching the car.

My problem with the "one button" solution is that there are too many times I don't want the garage to automatically close when I get home. Examples: kids want to play in driveway, check mail, things in trunk. etc.
Or you could leave the car outside while doing all those things. Then one-click it at the end when you are all ready to head inside.

I like to back in when I park at home or anywhere else. If I need to access the trunk, I will not pull in completely, then when I'm done with the trunk I'll use summon to finish pulling in. Or when leaving I'll use summon to pull out enough to access the trunk.

I don't use it daily, but usually multiple times in a week.

I sometime use the frunk instead, but then I have to use my hands to open/close, and it isn't climate controlled or secure.

Reactions: JenniferQ
I use it when the sprinklers are on and I am in a hurry to get to the gym in the morning and I don't want to get wet. Also, sometimes I park in the red slightly and I don't notice till I'm on the street walking to my destination. I simply take out my phone and pull in out of the red.

The best though is the other day... I was at the ATM and I was having problems with my card. I was in a hurry so I parked in the red. In front of me was a guy was sitting in his car. He pulled out within a min or so and I was still working on getting money out. At about that moment I see a meter maid gal do a u-e and come down the street my way. I quickly pulled up the Tesla app (It magically opened quickly) and just as she was starting to get out of her car (to give me a ticket) I drove the car it into the meter spot in front that still had time. The meter lady thought someone was in the car and simply got back in her car and drove away. The security guard and a couple of dudes watching in front of the bank flipped out and said I made their day. Best moment ever!! Saved me an $88 dollar ticket!!! LOL

Last edited:
That so far is the best Tesla moment I have come across. It's like that prank video on you tube of a Palo Alto cop trying to issue a ticket and the car would move just as he tried to place the ticket.
I use it when the sprinklers are on and I am in a hurry to get to the gym in the morning and I don't want to get wet. Also, sometimes I park in the red slightly and I don't notice till I'm on the street walking to my destination. I simply take out my phone and pull in out of the red.

The best though is the other day... I was at the ATM and I was having problems with my card. I was in a hurry so I parked in the red. In front of me was a guy was sitting in his car. He pulled out within a min or so and I was still working on getting money out. At about that moment I see a meter maid gal do a u-e and come down the street my way. I quickly pulled up the Tesla app (It magically opened quickly) and just as she was starting to get out of her car (to give me a ticket) I drove the car it into the meter spot in front that still had time. The meter lady thought someone was in the car and simply got back in her car and drove away. The security guard and a couple of dudes watching in front of the bank flipped out and said I made their day. Best moment ever!! Saved me an $88 dollar ticket!!! LOL

The opening/closing the garage works pretty nicely and yeah all dreams of doing without supervision or just click of a button got put on hold courtesy CR that made a stink about it and TM modified summon so now you have to keep the fob or the direction button on the app pressed which basically means you have to be watching the car.
I read their article and it had a valid point, I would be angry if the fob wasnt activated at the very moment when I needed to stop the vehicle.

Having said that, Tesla could have provided with both modes (One press and Continous press). Building the software is harder for one press, why scrap it?

Tried it once just to try it. Other than that I dont see the point since it can only go in a straight line. Now of course I havent paid much attention to it. From Software Updates it has appeared to become more limited as well. Maybe I am wrong, has any new capabilities been added.

I use it every day to pull out of the garage because we back in and have our car seat on the passenger side.

I use it to back in every so often. I would use it daily if I could customize the limits further. The car wants to center itself in the space and I want the car right up against the cabinets to maximize space between cars.