Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how many inch of snow on ground will make rwd undriveable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't a number for this. Things like small dips in a parking lot can trap it with a quarter inch of slippery compact snow, kinda like "holding" the wheel. Many more variables than depth.

I've charged through fresh snow 3 inches above the bumper lip for 30 minutes in the AWD just fine (with snow tires). But it was very light and fluffy and hardly any resistance. Heavier snow would've made that impossible, even with the AWD.

Reactions: android04 and ChadS
Upon re-reading the post I noticed you're in Toronto.

We might have some of the same road conditions. You do indeed need to worry way more about the ice and compact snow. Coworkers with RWD vehicles got stuck a few times in the icy parking lot divets, and the Model 3 would be no different.

That said, I did pizza delivery in winter in my smart fortwo (also RWD, fairly ideal weight distribution too). It was fine with winter tires and more or less routinely plowed roads. I couldn't get up some icy driveways that the Honda Fit could with ease, though. Traction control only gets you so far (and turning it off only gets you so far as well).

If you see other "low" vehicles getting around just fine, chances are the Model 3 will also be fine. Just don't decide to become a snowplow with the heavier snow.

Last winter I drove the Performance on snow tires through all the snow Whistler could throw at me without dying. But... any ice and the thing started to get a bit too Scandinavian flicky for my liking. Had to roll back and give up in Bayshores on an untreated black-iced road. So - snow no problem until you get to the snowplough or surfing stage, but if there’s ice then prepare to look out the side window to see oncoming traffic. Or just sit there pondering the futility of existence whilst your non-studded tires fail to provide any traction whatsoever.

The experience of the driver is the biggest factor. Experience driving in snow. There's no pat answer to your question. Many variables affect the available traction in a car - level road? slight uphill? pavement condition - is it frozen? smooth? rough? icy? Is the snow packing under the tires or not? load in the car. Lots of things. So you can't conclude you can drive through 6 inches of snow but not 8, for example.

Reactions: one2many