Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many kWh Available in New Software Limited S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This site looks cool. But, how do you register? I see options to login & you can't plan a route without logging in, but I can't find out how to create an account. The FAQs talk about the requirement to create an account, but they don't explain how to do so.

Click on the Login Link... underneath the login form is a link to register (agree that is not intuitive ;-)

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 11.42.36 PM.png

Just tried out the new: EVTripping web app and it has the refreshed models in there. I did a quick route and it seems legit!

There's another thread on this site over here:
evtripping.com

This site looks cool. But, how do you register? I see options to login & you can't plan a route without logging in, but I can't find out how to create an account. The FAQs talk about the requirement to create an account, but they don't explain how to do so.

Every login page has a "Don't have an account? Sign up" text with the Sign up being a link. Click that. Or the register button the front page banner, or just go here: EVTripping | Register

The good news is Tesla is standing by waiting for your call to upgrade you to 75 if you find 60 falls a little short.. and you get tired of pushing the last 5 miles to a SC.

Wouldn't it be cool if Tesla actually software limited at the lower end of the battery and stored 10 kWh in the locked area so when an upgrade happens over the phone you immediately gain 10 kWh charge that becomes usable juice... (And they also had the top 5 kWh locked as a taper margin booster, and unlock that at the same time, of course..).

*sugar*! Maybe they do this!! Anybody done an OTA battery upgrade yet? ...that would be too brilliant!

Now I wanna buy a 60 just to find out.

@scottm People, me included, have suggested that they could limit the lower end, or maybe even split the difference. I think we have pretty good evidence that they aren't doing this. (People report getting fast Supercharging to 100%, no significant taper like the a real 75 charging to 100%.)

One reason that was brought up to why they wouldn't do this, is it would be pad PR if you ran out juice in the middle of nowhere, when there was actually more in the battery and that Tesla was holding it ransom, by charging for the upgrade, to get you going again. (I suggested that they might do a one-time release to get you out of trouble, like they will sometimes give people one free tow, or original 60s can get one free Supercharge even if they didn't pay for it.

I have about 500 miles on my 60D so far. On my first trip the car was at about 97% with an indicated 215 miles of range. The trip home was 108 miles, mostly expressways, and speeds averaging around 70 to 75 with the AC running. The indicated range when I got home was 96 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Odebek
@scottm People, me included, have suggested that they could limit the lower end, or maybe even split the difference. I think we have pretty good evidence that they aren't doing this. (People report getting fast Supercharging to 100%, no significant taper like the a real 75 charging to 100%.)

One reason that was brought up to why they wouldn't do this, is it would be pad PR if you ran out juice in the middle of nowhere, when there was actually more in the battery and that Tesla was holding it ransom, by charging for the upgrade, to get you going again. (I suggested that they might do a one-time release to get you out of trouble, like they will sometimes give people one free tow, or original 60s can get one free Supercharge even if they didn't pay for it.

You know where this is leading? Pay per use (for the energy).

"Who cares how much battery is really in the car?" The only thing showing is "rated range". And as you use it up, you pay the piper for those miles. Micropayments, extracted right out of your Tesla account.

This leads to more plausible battery swap station scenarios. Because nobody cares any longer about "owning" their own battery. You'll never keep it for long. Degraded batteries are rotated out of the system and new ones inserted.

When you go for a swap or charge, you state the rated range you need and you get it.

I could see a billing scheme whereby you pay both on the deposit side (charging the tank) and on the usage side (depletion). Credits given for swaps where there's still charge above the deposit you made.

Take one more step back from this is, you don't even have to own the car. It's a travel appliance. Every car is white. Car share / rental / .. whatever, it's all worked into the cost of the trip. Leave the whole car at the swap station... laser scanned at check-in for any body damage or rock chips on the windshield. Impact sensors would have already reported any contact with any object.

of course this has nothing to do with the OP topic.... sorry

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You would not want the car the keep the extra 10kw of energy "stored for emergencies". That would negate the 60s advantage of charging to 100% daily without battery damage and negate the faster supercharging. It's much better to keep the unused 10-15kw empty. That's my whole reason for wanting to own a 60 in the first place.

Reactions: Odebek
You would not want the car the keep the extra 10kw of energy "stored for emergencies". That would negate the 60s advantage of charging to 100% daily without battery damage and negate the faster supercharging. It's much better to keep the unused 10-15kw empty. That's my whole reason for wanting to own a 60 in the first place.

It would also degrade the battery faster, which would decrease the car's value when a 60 is traded in to Tesla and they flip the switch to make it a 75 a resell it.

Reactions: hybridbear
The Model S60 on the EVTripPlanner site is the old (pre 2015) Model 60 not the new SW Limited 60 (as witnessed by no AWD variant and no 75KWH models...)

I'm a little confused are 2015 model 60's SW limited? "Pre" does mean before so 2015 would be "post" 2015, correct? Or are only 2016 model 60s SW limited? Can someone shed some light on this? I googled it and this thread is the only one that appears.

Has anybody with a new 60 connected or looked into getting a CAN monitoring tool (ie. using TM Spy). It would be very interesting to see the cell voltages and reported energy capacity numbers.

I have a cable with the old style connector, and am not sure if the refreshed cars are still using the newer style connector or something different entirely.