Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles are "too many" miles for a used MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what owners and purchasers of used or CPO Tesla Model S think are too many miles....meaning, when the little things start to need repair and you feel the big things might be failing soon too?

As a previous Tesla owner, I had one of the first in 2013 and replaced it in 2015. The 2013 was...well, it was fun to be one of the first but many small problems and I was glad to replace with the 2015. Quality got much better.

So again, how many miles are too many? thank you.

I would say 100K which is when the extended warranty ends assuming it was extended. I would never own a Tesla out of warranty. I also had the 2015 MS85D which was a solid car. Only issues I had was bubbles in gauge cluster display and main display. Both replaced under warranty. Oh and lots of squeaks lol

I think if it’s 2014 and up car that had all of the regular stuff like motor, handles and screen replaced then should be ok. I’d take a car with 110k on it if it was priced right at 23k let’s say.
Depending on trim level. 2014 with AP fully loaded went new for 135,000 but deals are available. These cars don't depreciate like regular ICE cars... for good reason.

I'm probably biased here (246k on my MS), but I don't think any amount of miles would preclude me purchasing a used tesla. As long as the 8-year unlimited mileage warranty is intact on the battery/drive units, I would be comfortable. I'd factor in $2k-$5k of maintenance in the following year or two if above 100k miles. Might need new front suspension ($1800 for coil). Won't need brakes until >150k miles. The only wildcard is really the MCU or air shocks if it has air, and the risk of catastrophic failure on those is low.

I should note that my 2014 is a September build and seems to be about the time that they got most of the nuisance items worked out. The build quality of my 2016 is significantly better than the 2014. An early 2016 with 70-110k miles, it would probably be the perfect value, say around $30-45k.

Depending on trim level. 2014 with AP fully loaded went new for 135,000 but deals are available. These cars don't depreciate like regular ICE cars... for good reason.

They depreciate just like any other luxury car, if not more. The market is much smaller and it's a hybrid market of technology and automobiles, not a good combination. This isn't a asset that protected from market norms.

I'm probably biased here (246k on my MS), but I don't think any amount of miles would preclude me purchasing a used tesla. As long as the 8-year unlimited mileage warranty is intact on the battery/drive units, I would be comfortable. I'd factor in $2k-$5k of maintenance in the following year or two if above 100k miles. Might need new front suspension ($1800 for coil). Won't need brakes until >150k miles. The only wildcard is really the MCU or air shocks if it has air, and the risk of catastrophic failure on those is low.

Assuming people drive 10k-12k miles a year a Tesla with 100k miles will be pushing into that upper end of the 8 battery/DU coverage. Those are big ticket items. Any 100k car is going to need a full suspension overhaul. Brake pads are negligible.

I agree

$30k for a used high milage Tesla + $24k battery + $6k motor = $60k

You just disproved your own claim.
The key questions on your hypothetical used Tesla would be when the original battery and drive units had been replaced under warranty, if ever. The first Model S cars built in 2012 are still under the unlimited mile battery and DU warranty. As I understand it some of those early cars had old design battery and drive units which were/are replaced with upgraded models. From 2015 onward I understand that most batteries and drive units are super reliable.
So even if someone were looking at a 2012 or 2013 or 2014 car if the drive unit and battery have been replaced in 2015 or later with a newer design I don’t think failure would be likely in the next 5 to 10 years of ownership.

Last edited:
This idea that Tesla is magic and nothing goes wrong is not honest.
The battery and DU are a major departure from regular cars but the rest of it is just a car.
ICE engine repairs are pretty rare, transmission repairs more common and a Tesla charger repair which is somewhat common cost nearly as much.
If in a wet climate the Brembo calipers require regular disassembly of the brakes to lube the pad to caliper sliding surfaces. Yes other cars use these calipers but the lack of actual use of them on a Tesla due to Regen leads to sticking.

I have a 2014 P85 VIN 42,xxx at 87k owned it two years since 65k has been MORE TROUBLESOME than any other 100k vehicle I ever owned.
Love the car not getting rid of it but the idea they are trouble free is not honest.

Have had
Charger failure.
TPMS module failure that disabled the car.
Battery heater failure that disabled the car.
12volt failure, they last half as long in Tesla vs ICE.
Needed all new pads and rotors including parking brake pads.
Windshield washer is dead likely the pump.
Suspension has some severe rattles.
Wife is complaining her seat is wobbly.
In the 2 years I have had it a full charge has dropped from 257 to 246.

Love the car but let's be honest.

Reactions: Gxgn
The key questions on your hypothetical used Tesla would be when the original battery and drive units had been replaced under warranty, if ever. The first Model S cars built in 2012 are still under the unlimited mile battery and DU warranty. As I understand it some of those early cars had old design battery and drive units which were/are replaced with upgraded models. From 2015 onward I understand that most batteries and drive units are super reliable.
So even if someone were looking at a 2012 or 2013 or 2014 car if the drive unit and battery have been replaced in 2015 or later with a newer design I don’t think failure would be likely in the next 5 to 10 years of ownership.
That is exactly why I said, it's only cheaper if you assume that you never have to replace a battery or motor....which is exactly what you're assuming.

The 8 yr/unlimited mile warranty is going to be ending very soon for 2012 models.

Everything can fail. Tesla's are not sprinkled with pixie dust that prevents them from having issues. It's also well known that Tesla issues are more expensive than ICE issues.

Reactions: SSedan
Just located this thread after having our second out of warranty repair on a 2013 Model S 60 with 60K miles. Had one serious operational failure (in warranty). Husband mistakenly bought the useless "annual maintenance plan" instead of the ESP. Since the original warranty expired, we had Tesla replace the touchscreen (bubbles) and an SD card in the MCU (Nav system SD card was corrupted). We are exactly 12 months away from the battery/powertrain warranty expiring. The car is driven less than average, rarely supercharged and rarely charged to full capacity. Hope is not a strategy. I do expect the battery and MCU will go a while longer before needing replacement. It still looks and drives like a new(ish) car. I still love it, husband isn't the biggest fan. Think I will drive it as long as it's a reliable ride, and that paying for the major stuff will seem rational compared to spending $100K on a new car. Guess we will see when the limited powertrain warranties begin to expire. I sold a low mileage Porsche C4 several years back and the engine blew on the new owner a month in. Does anyone share my intuition that the S likes to be garaged (on it's charging cord) more than an ICE automobile?