TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How many miles did you get for your first full charge?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by steven415, May 8, 2018.

1. steven415

steven415 Member

I've own the car for almost 2 weeks. I charged it to full today and I got 305 miles. Is that normal? What did others get?

2. nitzmahone

nitzmahone Supporting Member

Mine showed 317mi on my first full charge (which I also did after about 2 weeks). It sounds like there's a bit of a range that people have seen. What I'm not clear on though is if driving habits affect the reported range or if it's purely a mapping from battery SoC/capacity to estimated mileage... Most people seem to think so, but I haven't paid close enough attention.

3. goto10

goto10 Member

305 sounds like the low end of normal. I got 311 on first full charge, after about 3 weeks and 900 miles with all previous charges at 80% or 90%, usually with a few days of driving between charges.

It is a direct mapping of battery SoC to mileage based on the EPA test cycle (245 kwh/mile, I believe) but the assessment of the SoC can drift a bit over time. Supposedly deeply discharging and then fully charging can recalibrate that algorithm.

4. Scrutmonkey

Scrutmonkey Member

I charged and it hit 318 and settled at 311 after 30 minutes.

5. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

6. keydiver

keydiver Member

How soon after the car was done charging did you check the range? I typically lose 1-2% overnight, due to vampire/phantom losses, which would be about right if you checked it in the morning.

7. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

299, but it was below freezing, figured that played a role. I'll try again now that it's warm and compare.

Edit: and to clarify, that is what the push notification reported when the car completed charging so it didn't sit and lose miles, it stopped at 299.

8. Rice&Curry

Rice&Curry Member

To the best of my knowledge the mileage of any EV depends on few factors : (1) weight ( number of passengers ), (2) Wind resistance ( if you happen to drive into high head winds and (3) Battery load/usage- electrical subsystems in operation - AC/Heater/ Lights etc. So exact comparisions are difficult... so if you are getting ~ 300 miles at full charge - be happy- and enjoy the drive!

9. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Mine displayed 313 miles after I charged it full for the first time 3 weeks after I got it.