Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles on a new Tesla at delivery?

Terra117

Feb 3, 2015
Edina, MN
I just read through our purchase agreement, and under "ODO Mileage" it says 000050.

We haven't picked up the car yet, but if there are actually 50 miles on the odometer, we're going to need an explanation.

Does the paperwork mileage usually match the miles on the ODO at delivery?

How many miles are typically on a Tesla at delivery?

Update: My car had only 9 miles on it at delivery.

It seems the corporate folks put some arbitrary number on the purchase agreement.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
When I took delivery in Nov 2012, the paperwork said 95 miles (giving them headroom) while the car said 65 miles. It's fairly standard, as I understand it, to have some miles for testing / verification before delivery. In the early days of Model S, I suspect those numbers were in the 50-90 range routinely. These days I suspect they are generally lower but there might be some outliers.

For comparison, a previous vehicle (different make) had 7 miles at delivery.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
The paperwork always says 50. Mine had 20 miles on it at delivery. It depends on how much testing they need to do and if they find issues.

Rockster

Oct 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
My paperwork said 50 and the car had 38 miles on it. Prior to my picking it up, the local service center had taken it to a local inspection center for the Texas mandated inspection, which was probably some of that.

Last edited:

Jaff

Aug 15, 2010
Grimsby, Canada
Not sure how many new cars of any brand are delivered without any kms on it...never seen it on the 8 new cars that I've purchased in my lifetime...

I just read through our purchase agreement, and under "ODO Mileage" it says 000050.

We haven't picked up the car yet, but if there are actually 50 miles on the odometer, we're going to need an explanation.

Does the paperwork mileage usually match the miles on the ODO at delivery?

How many miles are typically on a Tesla at delivery?

siucity

Button Pusher
Feb 18, 2015
SF North Bay, CA
My paperwork said 50 but the car had 9 when I picked up at the factory. The DS I spoke with said when they do paperwork, 50 is the standard number they put on there.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
I doubt you want a car that hasn't been through a post-build shake down. Getting the car right is more important than 40 +- 15 miles on it.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I had 38 on my car at delivery. If it had 0, I would be worried.

This.

Mine had 17 miles on it. I hope they were the hardest 17 miles Tesla could put on them... I want drivrtrain, suspension, fit & finish issues, etc... flushed out as early as possible... preferably BEFORE delivery.

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Makes sense they'd put 50 as a generic number on the paperwork, much easier than finding out the exact number for a specific car, and likely to be higher than any real number used for shakedown. People are pleasantly surprised if the reality is less distance than the paperwork, but they get mighty pissed off if it's higher. Better for Tesla to err on the side of caution.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
If I recall correctly, mine had nearly 100 miles on it. Also of note the Nav screen showed a number of previously used charging spots in Freemont and Palo Alto which I thought was interesting. They were there for quite some time, but got cleared out at some software update or service visit. All of the chargers I actually used remain.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
When I took the factory tour, the guide told me he thought the best job was test driving the new cars as they came off the assembly line. They have a test track and they turn everything up to 11 and drive it hard. You want them to drive the car to make sure everything works.
My car came with 23 miles on it (factory delivery).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC