TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many miles on your Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by arjun, Jan 8, 2014.

1. arjun

arjun New Member

I ran a search and couldn't find this topic discussed...

I'm wondering who has the model S with the highest miles, and what, if any, problems they have experienced with the car so far? TM rep informed me that there is one floating around with 400,000 + miles on it, and so far all it needed was a battery replacement.

So how many miles on yours?

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

~29k on mine... no drive-train issues... I seriously doubt there are any 400k+ Model Ss; that's >700 miles/day.... if you took delivery in July 2012, the first month they were shipped.

3. arjun

arjun New Member

He did say it was a dealer car/test vehicle, but still, it was a little hard for me to believe which led me to this thread.

4. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

#4 rjcbox, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    heard last year that one of Tesla's test vehicles, driving a couple years before general production, had ?2 or 300,000 miles on it

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#5 brianman, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Woah.

Napkin calculation...

Except for Founders vehicles, there are very Model S over a year old.

1 yr * 365d/yr * 24hr/d = 8670 hr

400,000 mi / 8670 hr = 46 mph

I find it difficult to believe there is a Model S vehicle that has been averaging 46mph, especially since it has to stop to charge at least some of the time.

Edit: Ok, I couldn't let this go.

Let's make some simplifying assumptions....
    - 55mph in "ideal" conditions, and thus you get 300mph range
    - 300mph uses (made-available-by-Tesla-portion of) the full "85 kWh"
    - no geographic obstacles
    - no traffic obstacles
    - no weather obstacles
    - no human delays (eating, restroom use, sleeping, etc.)
    - supercharger is at the perfect 300 mi separated locations along your route
    - the battery was a prototype that supports 120 kW supercharging by some miracle
    - the battery is somehow immune to tapering and high/low battery charging rate limitations

300mi / 55mph = 5.45 hr
    120 kW / 85 kW = 1.41 hr
    5.45 hr + 1.41 hr = 6.86 hr for each 300 mi cycle
    or...
    43 mph

Ok so basically it's not even theoretically possible for a Tesla Model S to already have travelled 400,000 miles unless it was attached to a stationary power source and on a treadmill-like device.

- - - Updated - - -

We have at least 2 forum members with this many miles and probably more like a half-dozen or more. 40k seems early for a battery replacement though.

6. The Fury

The Fury Member

I just passed 30k in 10 months.. No major problems at all.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Notice he never said it's an owner's car. Most likely a Tesla test car.

I witnessed a screenshot of a Model S dashboard at 50,000 miles a few months ago.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Good point. Maybe I read too much into "floating around".

9. ImperialG

ImperialG Member

I'm approaching 10 months and I'm at 20k miles on my 60kwh MS. I thought that I had a lot of miles on mine, but apparently not. I hope that a higher capacity battery (like 120kwh) is available at a reasonable when I am due for a battery change

10. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

I am at 39.8k after 13 months...

11. rpavlicek

rpavlicek ***** Neophyte

For those of you with 20k+ miles, how much rated range have you lost from spec?

12. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

24K after 13 months. No major issues, lots of little ones (door handles, buzzes and squeeks, the steering column click, fogging tail lights), almost all fixed promptly by Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

there are lots of threads on this subject. It's not a straight forward answer. I started with 272 miles rated on a max charge. The most I've gotten recently is 252 miles rated. But there have been software changes, we know they've increased the reserve buffer, and there obviously have been real losses...how much those factor in each is what is not completely clear.

13. KOSTINER

KOSTINER Member

I have 18k miles. Delivery was 1/2013. No issues. No decrease in range except related to software 5.8

14. mbhaddad

mbhaddad Member

I thought there was a story a couple years ago where they where they had a car on a road simulator driving continuosly to test the car and battery. I'd guess that's the one being referenced.

15. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

27k miles and only one road trip, and that was less than 700 miles. My Tesla is my daily driver for me and at least two of five kids. We love it, and have had some minor issues (mostly related to being an early car) but would not change a thing!

16. arjun

arjun New Member

Looks like digitaltim is leading the pack so far with 39.8k! Anyone higher?

17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

well that last statement is interesting, because Elon himself said in an interview that it has over 500,000 miles, no mention of any battery replacement. fyi it's a it's a lab vehicle, not a test vehicle (probably just sits on a dyno roller or something all day long). and this was back in April, so that lab vehicle has WAY more than 500k on it now.

link to the story : Tesla owners get 'no-fault' battery warranty
    Here is the quote:
    related story with same quote: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-to-offer-eight-year-warranty-on-battery-pack/

- - - Updated - - -

I have 35k on mine in a little over 9 months. First 2.5 months was 6500 miles. Next 6 months (June-November) was 27.5k miles. This is my normal commute schedule, at a rate of ~1100mi/week. Then I was on a 'hiatus' for about a month over December break + working from home a lot then so only put about 1000 miles on in the last month. But now back on track with my average of ~1100mi/week. It won't take me long to pass digitaltim. His rate of 39.8k in 13 months is ~700/wk. Overtaking that by ~400/wk , in about 10 weeks I should should be in the lead.... :p Cherish your moment now, digitaltim, for it is inevitable that I shall strike thee down! lol

18. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

Yobigd20 - I almost posted that I knew you would run me down at some point...my weekly commute to NYC/NJ cannot match your daily commute into the city. Though I easily have 3-4 months of downtime w/o the car between personal and business travel...3 weeks of travel in the next 6 weeks so you may take over sooner...

19. NoMoreGas

NoMoreGas Member

I only have 1012 miles, but, I've only had the car for three weeks. This is the most miles I've put on a car in this short of a time. I only had 5000 miles in the first year I had my 2011 BMW 535i. At the rate I'm going, I'll have 17,200+ miles by the end of the year. And loving it!!!

20. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Wooow. What is your weekly commute if you don't mind me asking YoBigD?