Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles per hour for a charge on a 110 volt outlet for Model S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Four is very good, two or three is more typical. If you have a 20 amp dedicated 120, you might get six.

Accurate unless it is cold outside and some of the energy gets used to heat the pack. To get the most from a 110 20 amp circuit you need the 5-20 adaptor.
NEMA_5-20_1024x1024.jpg

MikingCO, when charging on 120 do you hear the coolant pump running continuously?
4 hrs of charging at 120vac meets most of my daily needs, but I'm concerned about coolant pump wear. 4 x 7 = 28 hrs per week of pump run time. Anyone else concerned with coolant pump wear, while slown charging?

Last edited:
I have had zero, when the car was plugged in during very cold weather (below freezing temperatures) and had 5 mph with a strong circuit and comfortable outside temperatures. I view 120v as essentially covering passive losses. Anything better than that I feel quite good.

Isn't the limit 12 amps while charging on 120V ? In that case you would add 1.44 kw per hour minus about 12% heat loss .

So 1.27 kw . If you average 3 miles per kWh , you get 3.8 miles .

However , if you are only averaging 2.5 miles per kWh (400wh per mile) you get 3.17 miles .

You can also convert a dedicated 5-15 outlet to 6-15, which is 240 V (15 A maximum). This would double the charging rate to about 8 miles / hour and I don't think you would need new wire, only a new outlet and a reconfigured circuit breaker. Link for the 6-15 Tesla adapter: Tesla — NEMA 6-15.
Theoretically, yes, but how many people have a dedicated 15A outlet in their garage?

Incorrect. Charge rate in mph is dependent on consumption, if you look at miles of range. Model X P90D would charge the slowest out of the Tesla fleet, Model S 60 would charge the fastest.
I said of any Model S. The difference in consumption among the various Model S is not significant enough to materially change the charge rate. 120V 20A is 5 miles/hr plus or minus a fraction of a mile regardless of Model S. 240V 40A charging is 29 miles plus or minus a mile.