TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many miles will Tesla put on their Model 3 test cars?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by erthquake, Sep 18, 2016.

1. erthquake

erthquake Member

As they test their pre-production Model 3s, how many miles will they put on them? Will they drive several cars at least 20-30K miles each to get an idea of where rattles and squeaks might develop? Will they put any of them together in time to drive through a full winter, spring and summer? Will we not see any of these on the road until after Reveal 2?

2. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Yes. All that is standard issue practice.

• Like x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

We know there are at least two existing Model 3 vehicles which are certainly being tested over that time span, but they are hand built prototypes. I would guess (not being an automobile manufacturing expert) that some "pre-production" vehicles will be built using production level parts but before the Model 3 assembly line is completed and in operation, and those cars will be tested intensively over several months, such that they get tens of thousands of miles on them.
    Maybe. Maybe not. No one on TMC can answer that question authoritatively unless they are a Tesla employee with inside knowledge of the Model 3 development program and are willing to disclose confidential information.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. McRat

McRat Active Member

One million miles would be very little for a clean sheet car or truck.

The last Chevy truck (2014?) put 12.5 million miles in testing prior to release and it was not clean sheet.

• Informative x 2
  5. erthquake

erthquake Member

That's a good point. I didn't think about the difference about the hand-built verses off the production line, the latter being more relevant to buyers in terms of build quality. That means line built cars won't get a winter under their belt before being delivered to customers. Though I don't know how important that is anyway. And I suppose you can simulate diurnal temperature changes to test the effects thermal expansion and contraction over the long term.

The more I think about it, the more I appreciate how massive an endeavor it is have these cars ready to deliver by late next year. If they can pull it off (and I think they can), it will be amazing.

6. N5329K

N5329K Member

If they want to cold-test a Model 3 in Norway, they need something representative built pretty quickly. Or else go to the other hemisphere next summer to find winter.
    Robin

• Love x 1
  7. Red Sage

It's always Winter somewhere.

• Funny x 1
  8. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Well, Tesla has been known to use their customers as test mules. Maybe 400K M3 customers/cars at 20 miles per day? That's a pretty good test.

Do I really have to say "Just kidding"?

• Like x 1
  9. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Tesla may be a newcomer to the auto industry, but they've hired enough veteran talent from it that I am confident they will give this very important product a proper shake-down before it hits production.

10. superdog683

superdog683 New Member

not awahre of any "drivable" proto type model#3 could you provide a link or further info??

tx

11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

They've been seen and vidoed repeatedly. Dont have links handy.

12. superdog683

superdog683 New Member

testing will have to occur after sale.

they only have a year left for production and all indications are the model 3 is in very early production phase.

maybe they can put some user response post cards in the glove box.

• Dislike x 1
  13. Frank Schwab

Frank Schwab Member

After the reveal back in March, they were offering rides in the two driveable prototypes. I'd suggest reading the sticky thread on the front page:
    teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-reveal-event-coverage-3-31-16-8-30pm-pst-discussion-pictures-video.66894/

14. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Do you mean this kind of video?

• Like x 1
  15. timk225

timk225 Member

Tesla has experience with the S and X, so I would say it is not entirely a clean sheet design. Some differences in the 3, yes, but I think they already have a good idea of where any problem areas may be.

16. Red Sage

A search for 'Model 3 Test Ride' on YouTube brings up multiple results.

There is a pretty quick video during daylight at this link:

Model 3 spotted again

It was originally discussed in great detail here:
    Model 3 spotted in the wild!

But unfortunately, it seems the embedded video within that post is no longer available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Yes, they did get a few surprises the first winter(s) Model S was run here in Norway. I hope they have learned a thing or two from that :p But given that Model 3 will be build with other combinations of materials, they really should make sure they got some tested here over a winter before they start producing cars for this marked. But I doubt that they will produce for Norway until earliest Q2-2018, so they may send over a few cars to be tested after they have started production in 2017, if no part of NA has the same climate.

Edit: Tesla, if you are reading this: I volunteer! ;)