Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Model 3 should Tesla make the first Year? Poll

How many model 3's should Tesla make on ave per week for the first year?

• 500 -1000

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 1000 - 1500

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 1500 - 2000

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 2000 - 2500

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 2500 - 3000

Votes: 5 12.8%

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 2 5.1%

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 8000 or even more

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poll from the first production car of the assembly line 1 year from then.
Considering they will have more 1/2 million orders by the time the first car goes off the assembly line. Considering Tesla is prioritizing region before order time( west US then East US then Europe & Asia then countries with right hand drive last). Considering the opportunity as none of the Germans will have a high volume M3 competitor until sometime in the 20ties. And what about the right hand countries? Australia was the first to place an deposit do they need to wait until 2020- 2022 many years after everybody else gets the car. It will be an old car by then. Will then Australia get the Facelift version before M3 number 2 comes out or what? Considering lastly and most importantly that deposits are refundable.

Last edited:
Clarify what is meant by the "first year". Calendar year? First 12 months of production regardless of calendar year? Also, the number will likely ramp up over time. Are we supposed to estimate over an entire year and then take the average?

Assuming a capacity of 500,00 per year when factory 100% operational...
If Tesla can avg slightly better than 50% the first year (which would be huge 250,000)- rounded up my guesstimate from 4,807 to 5,000 per week.

As a manufacturer, you need to try to strike a balance. They probably don't want to be able to build them all the first year, as they would likely end up having way more production capacity to build than they would probably need on all subsequent years, which would mean a lot of wasted capacity. Plus they probably want to take it a little easy the first few months in order to address any production issues. On the other hand, you don't want production to be too slow either, as then people would start getting upset at how long the orders are taking and sales would be lost.

For these reasons, I was thinking they should shoot for maybe 150K the first full year of production. Then use the flow of orders during that year to help decide how much to increase it the following year.

150K would be an average of 2885 per week. I thus voted accordingly. Note that the first few months of slow production will drag down the average. I would think production rate at the end of the first year would actually be upwards of 4000-4500 per week.

Last edited: