Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Model S owners are moving to Model 3 (and why?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not part of the Tesla community yet, but planning to join very soon. I test drove both the Model 3 and the S and I strongly preferred the MS. The M3 felt cheap for the $60k price tag. I have BMW 335I now and the extra room in the MS is pretty appealing.

I am curious if you are a current Model S owner and are (or have) switching to Model 3 - why?

Generally people move to the 3 if they want a smaller/nimbler car (and at a more attractive pricepoint). The 3 compares better to the BMW 3 series, alot of people I know who came over from BMW 3's thought the S was too big (and more of a big sedan than a sports car). Both Great cars

I am not part of the Tesla community yet, but planning to join very soon. I test drove both the Model 3 and the S and I strongly preferred the MS. The M3 felt cheap for the $60k price tag. I have BMW 335I now and the extra room in the MS is pretty appealing.

I am curious if you are a current Model S owner and are (or have) switching to Model 3 - why?

I had the S75(profile pic) and absolutely loved it and think there is another S in my future.

Now have two Models 3's so can definitely compare.
  • Looks: The S is gorgeous and a head turner. I really like the look of the 3 but it doesn't get as much attention as the S did(of course my S was Red and I kept it shiny).
  • Capacity: For a mid size the 3 actually has a lot of cargo room but the S's cargo capacity is cavernous.
  • Size: The S is just huge and seats 5 adults very comfortably. Also, has that nice "big car ride".
  • Performance: Both are amazing with the 3 being small and speedy and the S feeling big and powerful.
They are both completely different cars yet both retain that Tesla magic. If you liked the S better than the 3 I'd stick with the S.

• Helpful
Reactions: f205v and croman
I originally stood in line for a 3 reservation but bought a S in 2016. Don’t regret that decision one bit, the S is my dream car.

That said, it’s the most expensive car I’ve ever bought by a mile and I don’t see myself replacing it with another. I plan to drive it through the 8 year battery/drive unit warranty and will likely replace with a 3 or some more affordable equivalent in 2024.

I bought the 2018 S P100D this Sept. In terms of performance, handling and sheer power, it is a supercar killer. Currently has the fastest 0 to 60, 2.28 sec, of any production car. The only other cars that come close cost 800k+. I always drive the car in ludicrous mode and it is spectacular.

The other car we considered was the Porsche Panamera Turbo. I don’t think you can compare a S/X to a 3. The P100D costs double the P3D+.

We chose the S because our kid did not like the back seats on the 3 and I don’t like the falcon doors on the X.

Doubtful we will ever get a 3. I really want the 2020 Roadster.

I have a S 90D now. I plan to get a newer one next summer. This next car will be one I plan to hang on to for a while, 10 years. The Model S and Model X are complicated, and hellishly expensive to fix out of warranty. There is a lot less to go wrong on the 3. Doorhandles, etc. I am seriously considering the 3, as I think it is the more sensible option on a lot of levels. However, I absolutely love my S

Reactions: N..8
I am about to make the leap from S to 3. I’ve gone back and forth prior about a dozen times including cancelling two 3 orders. My head says stick with the S or get a newer CPO since we are a family of 5 and enjoy the premium fuel. My heart says get a 3 and enjoy the ride as I spend 80% commuting solo. The 3 is the EV epitome - efficient, advanced, fast and nimble.

Leasing a 2018 Model S now, and sister recently bought a 3. After driving both, the 3 would suit me if I was younger with no familial obligations, more sporty and responsive chassis, easier to maneuver along side streets/parking, etc.

The S ride is more luxurious and as others have said, it just has a more upscale presence when you arrive. Practically speaking, I like how I can visit Craigslist furniture sellers with impunity and buy/load up most items into the huge hatchback.

The wife is waiting on a Model Y as she feels the S is too big when she is driving it, so the Y may become the best of both worlds for her.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have a P100D S and I love it for many many many different reason's and I don't plan on moving into a M3 (I just don't like the M3 as much as I like the MS)
My wife has a 85D and she also really loves her car and wants to upgrade but not to a M3 she want's another S because she (and I) both think the M3 isn't as good looking as a MS and we prefer the S interior over the M3 interior.
We just aren't interested in the M3 as much as the S.

I was planning to switch from a 2015 85D to a Model 3. After I test drove the 3 I changed my mind and traded in my 85D for a 100D. The Model 3 is a sporty, nimble car, but I just like the big car feel of the S. I also prefer the IC display in addition to the large touchscreen. If I had never owned a Model S, I think I would have jumped on the 3, as it is a very nice car. To each his or her own.