Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Model X owners have had washed their cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
I washed my Model X this weekend. It is a pain to wash. On a regular car you open a door and stand on the edge to wash the top. You can't do this with a Falcon Wing Door. I had to get out a ladder to get the top. (right in the middle of washing the top, the door automatically opens and slams against the latter almost knocking me off, if course I should have not had the fob in my pocket. ) It also took me as long to wash the wheels as it took to wash the rest of the car. I have the 20" helix wheels. It is easy to get to the spokes (I guess spokes is the right name) unlike my current car which are hard to clean. But inside of the wheels rims is also visible and have to be washed. My hands just barely fits between the some of spokes but not others. You have to reach alway up to your elbow to get it the inside the rim clean. In addition to the calipers, there are a lot of other parts which are exposed and some not even coated which need to be cleaned regularly. I have some wheel brushes but none of them would do an acceptable jobs.

As you probably already know you try to never let water dry on any part of the car. The water from your faucet both well water and public utility water contains minerals. You can really see this if you leave water standing on the window then try to get the stains off. Depending on where you live rain water can be even worse, especially in a heavily populated area where there is more pollution. I live near the ocean where there is little pollution but I am only 500 feet away from the water and the rain and wind contains salt. Some people have water softners but they usually also contain salt.

I recently purchased a hand car blower/dryer which really helps get rid of most of the water droplets. It was well worth the purchase as it has multible nozzles to get into every crevice. I had my car coated with Expel and Liquid Serum but even though it causes the water to bead I still had to work fast. I am going to talk to my detailer to see if I can add GTechniq EXO Hydrophobic coating. It can be used on any shiny exterior surface (paint, windows, trim, wheels). It eliminates most of the water and you can get rid of the rest with the blow dryer or cloth. It is expensive (especially if you have someone else apply it) but it lasts about two years before it needs to be reapplied. It makes the surface even shinier than the Liquid Serum.

I recently purchased a hand car blower/dryer which really helps get rid of most of the water droplets. It was well worth the purchase as it has multible nozzles to get into every crevice.
You are definitely right that it takes a step stool or ladder to get to across the windshields and roof.

Just purchased this to blow the droplets off my Opti-coat Pro+ Model X. Available on Amazon Prime: Greenworks 24012 7 Amp Single Speed Electric 160 MPH Blower

Perhaps a drive through scaffolding setup is in order.

In all seriousness, some good advice here. I have a dedicated electric leaf blower that I use on my Model S. I may have to check out these other more specific gadgets you guys list.

I have a long handled microfiber washer that I have used for our van. The cloth is replaceable. I assume I'll just use that for the windshield and roof.

My experiences were the same as Darryl's but I did not even bother with the inside of the rims as I could see it would be a big project.

I cannot remember why I did not have a problem with the auto open door now that you mentioned it.

I have a soft water faucet at my house for just this reason. Worked well. Went through two huge bath towels getting the car dry. Next time I am going to get out the leaf blower first. Plus there are a lot of areas were water collects on the car in holes and slots. The blower will help get rid of that trapped water I would think, plus remove a lot of the standing water.

You also have to open the FWD's partially to wipe off certain areas as well as having the spoiler both open and stored. And of course all the door jambs make it fun too. I also had issues with the windshield wipers. Both with the frunk open and closed they were hard to get under/around.

...and this is why it is reasonable to consider an aftermarket coating like OptiCoat Pro or cQuartz. A good installer will pull the wheels and coat both sides. The coating sheds dirt and brake dust and is hydrophobic. The water beads up and rolls off. No buffing, waxing or polishing is needed. Yes, pricey. But is it worth risking getting knocked off a ladder (or damaging the FWD)? YMMV.

I use a Mallory WS2024A 20" windshield sponge/squeegee to move a soapy wet cleaning mitt or drying microfiber cloth across the glass roof. No step stool or ladder required. (Owning your own Bug Sponge Squeegee helps at the Supercharger when the windshield needs cleaning.)

The Falcon Wing Doors can be stopped with the key fob at any position. That helps keep the seals within reach when drying the door edges.

I use this long reach windshield cleaning tool with Invisible Glass for both inside and out. I then use this tool to push a microfiber towel around to dry and buff the glass. A big help is to put the suspension on its lowest setting. Likewise when cleaning the wheels and rocker panels raise the suspension to its highest setting helps preserve old backs like mine. I also bought a rolling stool to zip around the car to do the wheels and rocker panels. As far as cleaning the wheels, any of the major mfg's wheel cleaner sprays wok well with a hose. Unless the dirt is really baked on it should just be a spray and rinse. As far as drying the car, nothing beats a leaf blower and then a quick microfiber wipedown. Between washes Mcguiar's Spray Detailer does an amazing quick & easy job. The MX has a lot of black matte trim. Either the spray detailer or "Back to Black" or similar product do a great job. Finally for the tires I use Armor-all Tire Foam.

http://www.autozone.com/interior-de...ord=windshield+cleaning+pad&fromString=search

http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleane...-spray-quik-detailer/21639_0_0/?checkfit=true

http://www.autozone.com/interior-de...nd-plastic-restorer/452391_0_0/?checkfit=true

http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleane...ll-tire-foam-aerosol/47076_0_0/?checkfit=true

I also had issues with the windshield wipers. Both with the frunk open and closed they were hard to get under/around.
Set your wipers to service mode. Make sure that your wipers are set to off on the control stalk, then on the touch screen select Controls - Settings - Service and Reset. At least that's where the control is on Model S.
This will raise your wipers up the windscreen to allow you to clean their parking area at the bottom behind the hood. Switch service mode off by pressing the single wipe button on the control stalk.
I also leave my Model S in neutral and manually apply the emergency brake as this prevents the mirrors from auto folding whilst I wash the car.

A lot of detailers use an aluminum painter's platform to get to the roofs of tall vehicles; the nice thing about them is that you can get to one entire side of the roof without climbing up and down a ladder, re-positioning, etc...

610Li-mbOVL._SY355_.jpg

These are available from Home Depot, Lowe's, or other home supply retailers; often you'll find them on sale around the holidays as well.

With regard to cleaning the inner portions of the wheels, here are a couple different brushes specifically designed for the task that you may want to consider, "Wheel Woolies" or the Microfiber Madness IncrediBrush:

Wheel_Woolie_Kit___31256.1439350572.380.380.jpg

Wheel Woolie Kit

MM_18__54497.1432961704.380.380.jpg

Microfiber Madness Incredibrush

Hope this gives you a few ideas to help make washing a bit easier!