Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Model3s will you order!

How many 3s are you ordering?

• None

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • One

Votes: 129 67.9%
  • Two

Votes: 36 18.9%
  • Three or more

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AlMc

'When the music is on...you gotta dance' (Go Elon)
Apr 23, 2013
Delaware
I am hoping that there will be no limit (probably not realistic) by TM about how many model 3s one can order, in person, at the stores on March 31st.

How many would you like to order on opening day, if there is no limit?

I've considered ordering three - one each for mine and my wife's parents, and one for us to (maybe) replace my MS. But I think for now I'm going to stick with one and see how things play out. I've been through this a couple times already and, well.. it's best not to get too excited.

How about you, Al?

Hmm.. being a slimy model S owner looking to keep the working stiff down, I'm hoping to order as many as I can to block up the queue.

..probably just 1. MAYBE 2 if my mother expresses interest, but the 1 would be for us. We'll keep an eye on developments and decide if it makes sense to go through with the order when the rollout begins.

Reactions: mutle and NOLA_Mike
I've considered ordering three - one each for mine and my wife's parents, and one for us to (maybe) replace my MS. But I think for now I'm going to stick with one and see how things play out. I've been through this a couple times already and, well.. it's best not to get too excited.

How about you, Al?

I am almost ashamed to admit: 5.........Three for immediate family, one for a coworker and one for a family friend..the last two as the people can not attend the March 31st galas

Learned my lesson from my Model X experience. I have no desire to give anyone money for something they yet built. Also, I highly doubt that the Model 3 rollout will be any different than the Model X which supposedly mirrored the Model S. Zero Model 3 vehicles will be reserved by us. Best wishes to all that preorder, but it only takes once for me to hit my head against a wall and learn not to do it again. Maybe in 2020, I will have a better vision of what additional Tesla products I may consider.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eclectic
Two, eventually. Assuming Tesla has done the Three "right." But not on day 1, and probably not on day 100 either. I've essentially resigned myself to the fact that the federal tax credit will be gone by the time they build mine, even if I were to order on day 1 - so that takes the pressure off.

1 Model 3 will complete my "Dream Stable"

• F-150 Cherry Red - Decked out for pulling travel trailer and hauling dogs. Just purchased.
  • Model S - Deep Blue Metallic - For driving places. Late 2016 when the LEAF goes back.
  • Model 3 - Pearl White - For driving other places. Elon Time: Late 2017. Non-distortion time: Probably 2020ish.
My OCD really says I should get the MS in white but I'm not going to bet on a good blue option for the M3.

I've heard you can't transfer a reservation to another person is that correct? So if I order one for myself and one for another person tesla will only write my name on the eventual title of both (regardless of who actually pays for the car)? Is that true?

I've heard you can't transfer a reservation to another person is that correct? So if I order one for myself and one for another person tesla will only write my name on the eventual title of both (regardless of who actually pays for the car)? Is that true?
depending on your state, you may have to title it yourself. In that case, you can do as you please.

depending on your state, you may have to title it yourself. In that case, you can do as you please.
Titling the car yourself probably doesn't help. If you did this, you'd wind up with 2 MSO's and 2 bills of sale, both listing you as the new owner. You'd then need to title both cars in your name (since that's what's on the bill of sale) and pay any sales tax due. You'd then need to re-title one car in the other person's name, likely paying sales tax a second time. The other person would loose out on the tax credit (if any were left), and you probably couldn't legitimately claim the credit for the second car, since you clearly bought it for resale.

I know of no state that lets you "chain" bills of sale (ie, trying to issue first title in second owner's name with MSO + bill of sale Tesla->first + bill of sale first->second) without an intermediary titling step (unless the intermediary is a licensed dealer) - they want their title fees and taxes.

The only clean way to make this work is to transfer the reservation so the the second bill of sale is in the other person's name, and Tesla doesn't (hasn't) let you do that.