Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Model3s will you order!

How many 3s are you ordering?

• None

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • One

Votes: 129 67.9%
  • Two

Votes: 36 18.9%
  • Three or more

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard you can't transfer a reservation to another person is that correct? So if I order one for myself and one for another person tesla will only write my name on the eventual title of both (regardless of who actually pays for the car)? Is that true?

Presumably if you are reserving for somebody else you'll put their name on the reservation. Otherwise if that isn't allowed I would say placing a reservation for a friend is a non-starter.

I find threads like this peculiar because people are discussing the purchase of a $35,000 car they've never seen as if it's a forgone conclusion that they'll be buying one.

Is this the standard operating procedure for most people in this thread? Are you just so sold on the concept of the car that looks won't play a serious role in your decision? Maybe I'm in the minority. I'm not at all green and I bought my Model S because I'm a car nerd and the idea of a fast, all electric car intrigued me.

I'm ready and willing to pull the trigger the moment I see the 3 but I don't want to get into a Model X type situation where I'm buying a car that's not very good looking just by virtue of it being a Tesla.

I find threads like this peculiar because people are discussing the purchase of a $35,000 car they've never seen as if it's a forgone conclusion that they'll be buying one.

In the early-to-mid 90th - over 20 years ago - I did myself a promises: "When I can get an BEV with a range I can live with to a price I can afford, I will buy one!". And I have been waiting ever since.

We do not know a lot about this upcoming Model 3, but we know it will have at least 200 miles realistic range and a base-price of about $35k. I have checked my need for range, and found out that "a range I can live with" is about 200 miles EPA range. This gives me a bit low buffers in the winter, but I can live with that. More range, and a way to "extend" that range by a network of really fast chargers, is welcome. The price of $35k was just at the point "to a price I can afford" when this was first mentioned. But the exchange rate NOK->USD have gone from under 6 NOK/1 USD to almost 9 NOK/1 USD, so right now it will be a stretch. But I still think I can make it, and I can hope the exchange rate gets a bit better by the time this car will be delivered in Norway. And yes, I will keep my promise, and the only reason to not have an BEV when TM3 is delivered is if I cant make that stretch.

What about GM Bolt/Ampera-e? Or the next generation Leaf? They are promised with a range about 200 EPA miles and will hit the marked before the Model 3?
True, and I will be looking very closely on them both. But none of them have "a way to "extend" that range by a network of really fast chargers" (at least yet). And I really want to "vote with my money" on the one car company that is betting it all on BEV's.

No, the final decision is yet to be made if I will end up with the Model 3 or something else, but ether Tesla has to disappoint me and/or one of the others give me a very pleasant surprise and/or the exchange rate gets even worse to make it end up with me not buying this car. And yes, I have not seen it yet, and know very little about it :)

So yes, you can almost say it is "a forgone conclusion" that I will buy one... :)

1 Model 3 will complete my "Dream Stable"
  • Model S - Deep Blue Metallic - For driving places. Late 2016 when the LEAF goes back.
My OCD really says I should get the MS in white but I'm not going to bet on a good blue option for the M3.

What colour are your seats? Cloth or Leather. I'm dead set on getting Deep Blue Metallic on my Model 3 if it's offered. Just trying to pair it up with the best combination. I'd prefer not to get black. A very good friend of mine said "never get a black interior on a nice car. It always dulls the features of the interior. You want to be able to see all the fine details".

I called my local gallery where we will be placing our order and they said as long as my representative has all my info, ie. Tesla account email address and password, payment information, then they would be able to put a reservation down in my name. This is the Dallas Gallery. Oh and also she said one reservation per person at our location.

Is this the standard operating procedure for most people in this thread? Are you just so sold on the concept of the car that looks won't play a serious role in your decision? Maybe I'm in the minority. I'm not at all green and I bought my Model S because I'm a car nerd and the idea of a fast, all electric car intrigued me.

I'm ready and willing to pull the trigger the moment I see the 3 but I don't want to get into a Model X type situation where I'm buying a car that's not very good looking just by virtue of it being a Tesla.

Yes. I don't really care what it looks like or how fast it is. However, I don't think it's in Tesla's DNA to make an ugly or slow car. So, I'm going to make a totally safe, 100% refundable deposit the morning of the 31st.

So, when/if I order - I will order one. It will compliment the 70D nicely. What's the consensus on the timing of when I would actually have to buy it (like, spend more than a grand)?
The new email that just went out says 1 per Tesla that you currently own.

'"In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for reservations in each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region (one priority reservation for each Tesla they own). For those who aren’t Tesla owners yet, this means the fastest way to buy a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or Model X."

The new email that just went out says 1 per Tesla that you currently own.

'"In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for reservations in each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region (one priority reservation for each Tesla they own). For those who aren’t Tesla owners yet, this means the fastest way to buy a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or Model X."

An email I received from my local store said 2/person (regardless of being an owner of an S/X or not)

See my post here for that email: Let's do a spreadsheet for the 31st!

@Darryl that is awfully generous of you. And, nice profile picture!
We have reconsidered after all the negative sentiment regarding about current owners being elitist and not caring about others. Since my wife and I don't have kids we decided to help my wife's niece and nephew get through college. Their father died when the will just kids. Luckily they both got full scholarships but then her niece decided to go medical school and is graduating from Medical school in May. Her new newphew has decided to continue education also. So timing is going to be wrong so we will just give then a nice graduation present. We should meet up sometime.

My wife is looking for a car with the idea she will replace it with the M3. To be safe and based on Tesla's history on launches it will probably need to last her three to four years.

I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion that I'll actually take delivery of course, but if the Model 3 is to the A4 and BMW 3er as the Model S is to the A7 and Panamera, I'm in. Given how impressive Tesla's previous and current products have been I expect this to be the case.

I'm leaning towards 2, on the unlikely, near zero chance the Model Y is announced at the same time (or shortly after). In that case, I'll use one for a Model 3 sedan and the second for a Model Y for my wife. If the Y is still years away, I'll probably wind up dropping the second reservation.

Except that I think the X looks good too. I just saw my first one in a parking lot and I thought it defintely stood out in a good way compared to other SUVs (I assume that's what you're comparing it to). Of course I can always cancel, but I'm at least reasonably confident that I'll like the looks.

"how many"....?

This just sounds odd/off to me.

Maybe I'm not as well off as I'd like to be since I still can't think about purchasing multiple $35K+ cars at once.

I hope there isn't some weird "caste system" dynamic against people who "only" own ONE Model 3 once they start rolling out.....