Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Model3s will you order!

How many 3s are you ordering?

• None

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • One

Votes: 129 67.9%
  • Two

Votes: 36 18.9%
  • Three or more

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm not as well off as I'd like to be since I still can't think about purchasing multiple $35K+ cars at once.
It is definitely an odd question when looked at generally. I can't think of another vehicle for which this would be a reasonable question. However, this is not an ordinary vehicle, and we're not on an ordinary forum.

Remember that many members here have paid $100k+ for one or more Teslas already. For many of us, our last vehicle was in more of a Model 3 price range - and the reason we stretched was for an exceedingly capable EV. Now we're faced with an EV that is 1/2 the price of the one(s) we've purchased - still get the EV drivetrain, still a Tesla. Maybe someone wants two for their household, or maybe they have grown children and want to give them. Or siblings, depending on the financial situation. If someone loves Tesla (or hates ICE vehicles) and has the means, it is reasonable to think they might give some to family members to get more Teslas on the road.

But yeah, "how many Honda Accords are you reserving" doesn't have the same ring..

It is definitely an odd question when looked at generally. I can't think of another vehicle for which this would be a reasonable question. However, this is not an ordinary vehicle, and we're not on an ordinary forum.

Remember that many members here have paid $100k+ for one or more Teslas already. For many of us, our last vehicle was in more of a Model 3 price range - and the reason we stretched was for an exceedingly capable EV. Now we're faced with an EV that is 1/2 the price of the one(s) we've purchased - still get the EV drivetrain, still a Tesla. Maybe someone wants two for their household, or maybe they have grown children and want to give them. Or siblings, depending on the financial situation. If someone loves Tesla (or hates ICE vehicles) and has the means, it is reasonable to think they might give some to family members to get more Teslas on the road.

But yeah, "how many Honda Accords are you reserving" doesn't have the same ring..

So you've basically answered what I was thinking.

There is definitely a "demographic schism" in the Tesla fandom.

For instance: I've paid for my current car in cash, and other than my home, it was the largest purchase I've ever made. My wife works, and purchased her car with her own money.

But I would venture that the vast majority of people looking to enter the Tesla family with a Model 3 don't have the means to reserve multiple vehicles to hand out to children or siblings.

I'm from more humble means. 22 years ago, my dad bought me a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that needed a water pump, for $500...and I had to pay him back for it.

There were no $35,000 gifts in the driveway.

I'm from more humble means. 22 years ago, my dad bought me a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that needed a water pump, for $500...and I had to pay him back for it.
I am from a very similar background.

I think the children you're imagining are of a different age than the ones I'm imagining. I was thinking grown children - in their 50s. Does that change the image for you slightly?

I don't like the phrase "demographic schism" because it implies a binary situation and some kind of opposition. My belief is that owners from a wide range of incomes will be interested in the Model 3, and I don't think any of us are at odds with each other. We all want a nice car, and many of us want to ditch fossil fuels.

I am from a very similar background.

I think the children you're imagining are of a different age than the ones I'm imagining. I was thinking grown children - in their 50s. Does that change the image for you slightly?

I don't like the phrase "demographic schism" because it implies a binary situation and some kind of opposition. My belief is that owners from a wide range of incomes will be interested in the Model 3, and I don't think any of us are at odds with each other. We all want a nice car, and many of us want to ditch fossil fuels.

Grown children spins it slightly. But in the 22 years since I had to pay my dad back for a $500 car, I'm probably in a better position than him when it comes to purchases like this. So from a personal lens, the whole thing still seems skewed to me.

I really hope that we can all get along as (potential and current) Tesla owners. I'm disappointed in EM's decision to give current owners head-of-line, as from an outsider's perspective, it will just look like "the rich(those who can afford an S or X) getting richer" (by getting their Model 3 in before the tax breaks expire...likely the 2nd, or even 3rd such cash-out they've received).

I'm a gadget nerd at heart. I'm not beating the drum on environmentalism, but I do understand there are things we as humans can do better. I do realize that an EV frees me from the fluctuations in cost of owning an ICE, as I'll no longer have to worry about what part of the world is manipulating oil prices this week. I won't have to worry about maintenance (at least not at my current level). And since we live in MA, and the in-laws are in Central VA, I'll be able to drive my AutoPilot Model 3 down the interstate, only worrying about tolls, and able to arrive mostly "fresh" as I won't have to be laser-focused on driving for 10 hours straight.

Not to mention...living/working/playing so close to Boston, the Model S is too large of a vehicle for my comfort zone. The Model 3 checks all the boxes, and I can't wait to have mine.

I'm from more humble means. 22 years ago, my dad bought me a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that needed a water pump, for $500...and I had to pay him back for it..
My first car was also an 86 Olds Cutlass, but the small wagon, with stylish wood paneling. It was Dad's 4 year old car with 100k miles - my college graduation present.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd