Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many MPH Will Model 3 Charge From 110V?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? I haven't had an EVSE quoted recently, but it seems most proposals still involve tapping into 2 of the however many phases come into your house.

I've always heard that standard power in the US is called split-phase. It's two 120V alternating current supplies that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other plus a neutral coming into the mains panel of a house.

Split-phase electric power - Wikipedia

I have seen three phase power in industrial applications - in particular I've seen it used for very large electric pumps, but three-phase power doesn't seem to used for residential power delivery.

Reactions: boaterva
While we're on the subject, I might have a situation where I plug into a 120V outlet that has a microwave (garage next to kitchen) on the same circuit with either a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Are there issues with this situation?

While we're on the subject, I might have a situation where I plug into a 120V outlet that has a microwave (garage next to kitchen) on the same circuit with either a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Are there issues with this situation?
Yes. You can't use both at the same time. Cars need to charge on a dedicated circuit-- or else make sure everything else on the circuit is off so it seems like a dedicated circuit. Better yet, install a new 50A circuit with NEMA 14-50 outlet. You're not going to be happy sharing a 120V circuit with a microwave.

GM states in the Bolt's manual that it gets a full charge from 120V 12A power in 50 hours. 238 miles divided by 50 yields 4.76 miles of range per hour of charging.

So I would expect the Model 3 to charge at a comparable rate -- maybe a tad faster if it's more efficient on the road, but also maybe a tad slower if there's more vampire drain or overhead waste, which wouldn't be surprising.

Average American drives 20-30 miles in a day. At 3-4 miles range/hour off 110, you'll easily be able to top off the battery every night after a typical day. 220V is faster, yeah, but if you don't have easy access to a higher-power outlet, 110 will do just fine for most.
+1 ... which is why the 3 Volts in my family are charging on 120 ... My X gets to charge on a 240 14-50 tho :) which is useful after a roadtrip or to go from 90 to 100% SOC before I leave on occasion.

Yes. You can't use both at the same time. Cars need to charge on a dedicated circuit-- or else make sure everything else on the circuit is off so it seems like a dedicated circuit. Better yet, install a new 50A circuit with NEMA 14-50 outlet. You're not going to be happy sharing a 120V circuit with a microwave.

This may be stupid question, but what happens if it isn't on its on circuit? For instance, what if the garage door opener is on the same circuit?

This may be stupid question, but what happens if it isn't on its on circuit? For instance, what if the garage door opener is on the same circuit?

It depends on what else is shared on the circuit and how much the circuit breaker is rated for.

If you exceed the rated current (amps) of the circuit breaker by enough amps AND for long enough, the breaker will trip. But if it only exceeds the rated amps by a small amount for a small amount of time, it shouldn't trip.

A garage door opener, which will see a split-second spike of power as it begins to lift the door, followed by ~10 seconds of more moderate power draw as it continues to lift the door, is unlikely to trip a breaker unless you're already close to exceeding its amp rating to begin with.

I charged my Volt with a 120V 12A charger on a 20A circuit that also shared a garage door opener and some lights and never had a problem. But on a 15A circuit it might have been an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Are you saying you'd prefer to drive to a public charger and charge there for a few hours twice a week, instead of leaving your car plugged into a 110/120 outlet at your residence, or am I misunderstanding?

Free charging is offered as a perk at the office, so I take advantage of it once in a while. Two to three hours twice a week covers most of my local travelling. That and I utilize the SC network while doing weekend long distance trips.

However, I do still use the home charger once every other week or so, just to assure it remains in operational order. I was simply arguing that plugging in a car for an entire 8 to 10 hrs to get 24-36 miles hardly seems worth the effort of using a 120v outlet.

It depends on what else is shared on the circuit and how much the circuit breaker is rated for.

If you exceed the rated current (amps) of the circuit breaker by enough amps AND for long enough, the breaker will trip. But if it only exceeds the rated amps by a small amount for a small amount of time, it shouldn't trip.

A garage door opener, which will see a split-second spike of power as it begins to lift the door, followed by ~10 seconds of more moderate power draw as it continues to lift the door, is unlikely to trip a breaker unless you're already close to exceeding its amp rating to begin with.

I charged my Volt with a 120V 12A charger on a 20A circuit that also shared a garage door opener and some lights and never had a problem. But on a 15A circuit it might have been an issue.

Thanks. Is it possible to set the Tesla charging to any amperage? For instance, could I set it to 8 amps at 120V?

Answer: Too slow. As soon as I get the email giving me a delivery date estimate, I'm going to get a 14-50 outlet installed in the garage. I'm also going to get adapters for higher-power plugs so I can charge up at RV parks and friends' houses. Unless it's your only choice, 110v charging isn't worth it for BEVs, IMHO.

Can one just use a 6-50 outlet, with two hots and a ground? Why run another conductor?