TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How Many of the Model 3's Options Will be Hardware vs. Firmware Activated?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by igotzzoom, Mar 6, 2016.

?

Which Options Will Be Firmware-Activated on Every Model 3

1. Autopilot, Summon, Self-Park

30 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. Higher Motor Power Output (i.e. Ludicrous Mode)

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Supercharging

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. More Advanced Capability in Extra-Cost Hardware Package (non-retrofittable)

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. Increased Battery Capacity

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Just wondering how you think Tesla will package some of the Model 3's biggest options, and if the capability will be built-in from the factory, and how many will be hardware differences that can't be retrofitted after production?

2. roguenode

roguenode Member

I'm surely not as well-versed in the option history and availability as many on here, but three come to mind:

Autopilot: Excluding the hardware needed for it *may* help them meet the $35k goal.
    Ludicrous-style upgrades: Drive and battery configurations dictating available sw upgrades.
    Supercharger access: Will it be subscription, one-time charge, initial charge + subscription, on-demand, who knows. It will also be interesting to see if SC access is an option only on initial purchase.

As a potential buyer, I'd like to see as many options as possible after initial purchase. Given where I drive, I would rarely use autopilot, but my resale would likely be better if a 2nd owner could add it later. If I end up leasing, I won't care as much about upgrade flexibility.

3. GKwey

GKwey Member

I think you underestimate the utility of autopilot feature. For Tesler owners who are proficient in driving with autopilot assist, me included, we don't drive the car any more. We let our Tesla drive itself in almost all our driving time and only intervene when necessary, such as being first car at traffic lights, through stop signs, making turns, ... etc. The only time I won't engage autopilot is when the feature is not available due to road conditions, or I expect to make turns in less than a couple of blocks. Believe me you want it.

4. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

It would be nice to have several firmware unlock-able options and some post-delivery upgrade options too.

I'll buy AutoPilot on day 1, no question about it. I have only test-driven once, and used it then, but it was amazing. I'm normally a really high road-rage person, and using AutoPilot completely eliminated that issue.

I'll buy (if necessary) SuperCharging on day 1, no question about it. I will drive long distances a few times a year, and thus will need SuperCharger access.

I'll buy the upgraded battery with mid-level acceleration on day 1, more than likely. I love quick take-off and a long driving range...

I don't need 0-60 in 2.8 seconds... that was just too much for me to actually want/need, but a future owner may feel different.

I cannot really say much about other hardware that I don't know of its existence... It's hard to speculate how you feel about something that you don't know exists. Though in general, I don't think its financially wise to put too much firmware unlock-able hardware in the car that's not legitimately paid for on day 1. Too much overhead on day 1 for potential sales to unlock. Ludicrous upgrades don't require much expense hardware-wise once you already have the biggest battery and motors. AutoPilot on the other hand starts to stretch the limits of including hardware that is not truly paid for.

But, what do I know? I'm just like you guys. I know more than the average person, but less than I think I know. haha

5. Big-T

Big-T Member

The more I can "activate" after the fact the better. Washington State will waive the almost 10% sales taxes on EV vehicles for 35k or less (that's after trade in, I'm hoping for about 5k worth of trade in) That means I have only about 40k to play with if I want to save 4k in sales tax.

6. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

The hardware included will be :
    AP hardware will be in all cars
    Supercharging will be free on large battery, firmware enabled smallest battery

Pretty sure the rest will have hardware differences. Especially given the cost increase to add these options to Model S
    Ludicrous
    Increased Battery (almost no chance of this being like the 40/60 batteries)