Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of us are in a STEM profession?

Are you in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math based profession?

• Yes

Votes: 233 86.9%
  • No

Votes: 35 13.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...is medicine a science, technology, or art?

In my formative years I was a geek before the word was invented. Fooled with mainframe and minicomputers. Did some biomedical engineering. College degree in engineering and physics. Got my M.D., toyed with surgery, did enough 120 hour weeks as an intern and junior resident, found diagnostic imaging/radiology just as the era of modern digital technology was applied to old school x-rays. Now a diagnostic radiologist and the 'chief geek' in my group practice (over 90 radiologists) and am my practice's VP of Informatics. The circle is closed.

Reactions: cellogig
I.T. (not help desk but more of system development, project management, wearer of many hats) at a well known SoCal hospital.
Studied PoliSci, Entrepreneurial Business, and Computer Programming in college. Want(ed) to go into Law. Always loved to play with the latest consumer tech.

I had an interesting discussion with a friend today about how Teslas are such a niche market car and how they will never succeed in the long run. In his view, only an small fraction of the country would ever buy something as underdeveloped and techno-geeky as a Tesla vehicle.

So... that being said, how many of us are engineers or scientists?

VP of IT Infrastructure, working in the Biotech and technology industries.

Ask this question a decade (or two) ago and you'd get very different results. True, you don't need to be good at math or technology to own/drive one, but it sure helps.

How many ICE drivers know the ins/outs of a combustion engine?

`Retired MD (neurologist/neurophysiologist). During my training years in the 70's working and programming with mini-computers (PDP8 en PDP11). Deemed too old to do practice (governemental decision) I am still doing some IT-stuff (kernel improvements for RISCOS) just for hobby.

... True, you don't need to be good at math or technology to own/drive one, ...

STEM occupations tend to earn more on average.
EV buyers tend to earn more on average.
So there's that.

But I have a hunch it has more to do with trusting technology.
EV adoption is low. Most people do not even consider test driving one.
Even most STEM vocation drivers drive ICE, they just often buy more expensive models.

But I'd guess that folk with more science experience would be more likely to test drive an EV.

Reactions: John Lamoureux
STEM occupations tend to earn more on average.
EV buyers tend to earn more on average.
So there's that.

But I have a hunch it has more to do with trusting technology.
EV adoption is low. Most people do not even consider test driving one.
Even most STEM vocation drivers drive ICE, they just often buy more expensive models.

But I'd guess that folk with more science experience would be more likely to test drive an EV.

And then there's our (in the US) preference for small SUVs, which is why I think the MY will be even more impactful than the M3.