Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are opting for SR?

Skipping LR for SR?

• Already skipped the configuration LR invite for SR (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I have not been invited to configure but will skip LR for SR and wait around. (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I have not been invited to configure but will go for LR and not wait for SR (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 60 44.8%
  • Skipping the invite for Dual Motors SR

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Skipping the invite for Dual Motors LR

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • Will patiently wait for Performance Dual Motors. Not caring about 7.5K tax credit.

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who got Model 3 config invites, how many of you are going for SR for $35,000 price range.

While I got excited to configure it and tempted to buy one, I felt it was waste of money for 310 miles as I am planning to keep the Model 3 as a short commute/grocery shopping car around my town. Even 220 miles seem a lot of miles for my need and I don't need PUP as my other vehicle has one.

I still want to be eligible for 7.5K federal tax credit. If it runs out before the SR is introduced, then I will be forced to get LR.

Based on many people's threads, it seems many want the LR for longer range.

And of course, I want to give my spot in the meantime for those who really want one ASAP ;)

For those who got Model 3 config invites, how many of you are going for SR for $35,000 price range.

While I got excited to configure it and tempted to buy one, I felt it was waste of money for 310 miles as I am planning to keep the Model 3 as a short commute/grocery shopping car around my town. Even 220 miles seem a lot of miles for my need and I don't need PUP as my other vehicle has one.

I still want to be eligible for 7.5K federal tax credit. If it runs out before the SR is introduced, then I will be forced to get LR.

Based on many people's threads, it seems many want the LR for longer range.

And of course, I want to give my spot in the meantime for those who really want one ASAP ;)

Once you experience autopilot and electric drive you may want to start road tripping like never before. My only regret on my 75D is not buying the 100D. Vegas for dinner? Sure! Ski one day in Mammoth? Let's do it! Buy range buy range buy range. Skip everything ifnyou have to but buy range. $9K for 100 miles is a killer deal. So many situations where you'll use more than intended and it's always better to have more. That's my very strong recommendation. Also - Teslas are so good you may want to basically keep it forever - or a solid 15-20 years and hundreds of thousands of miles. A degraded 300 mile battery will still be good for 200 miles - 500,000 miles from now. A degraded 200 won't be good for much.

200 miles of rated range is on the bare minimum of useful. Also I don't care how many stations Elon builds - So Cal is gonna be saturated with Model 3's so hard. The less you have to wait to supercharge the better. The good ole days of empty chargers will be gone soon.

Teslas are so good you may want to basically keep it forever - or a solid 15-20 years and hundreds of thousands of miles.
Off-topic, but...

I find it very interesting the various opinions of Tesla’s quality on this board. On one side of the spectrum there’s the people like you who say Tesla’s are very high quality that will last for decades. On the other side there’s the people who are convinced that a 3 year lease is the only way to go since you can get rid of it before it starts falling apart at the slightest touch. As I hope to keep my Model 3 for at least 10 years I’m hoping you’re correct...

Back on topic - if you’re really only going to drive around town with it then the value of the LR is decreased. You still get the faster acceleration, quicker charging, and better battery warranty - all of which are probably not as important for an “around town” car. If I were in that position then the tax credit would be the only major consideration. I’d be willing to bet that the bigger battery would be worth at least $3750 on resale if waiting for SR puts the tax credit on the line.

,,,eligible for 7.5K federal tax credit. If it runs out before the SR is introduced, then I will be forced to get LR.
The full tax credit will be available at least until June 30, 2018. I wouldn't think you'd have trouble getting an SR prior to that, but who knows? At any rate, there will be 6 months of half credit thereafter, so I wouldn't think it's beneficial to pay $9,000 more to avoid a loss of $3,750 of tax credit in your case.

Once you experience autopilot and electric drive you may want to start road tripping like never before. My only regret on my 75D is not buying the 100D. Vegas for dinner? Sure! Ski one day in Mammoth? Let's do it! Buy range buy range buy range. Skip everything ifnyou have to but buy range. $9K for 100 miles is a killer deal. So many situations where you'll use more than intended and it's always better to have more. That's my very strong recommendation. Also - Teslas are so good you may want to basically keep it forever - or a solid 15-20 years and hundreds of thousands of miles. A degraded 300 mile battery will still be good for 200 miles - 500,000 miles from now. A degraded 200 won't be good for much.
I'm paying the $9K for these reasons. Plus faster supercharger charging, longer warranty, quicker acceleration--AND the extra 10 MPH top speed (just kidding on that one).

The full tax credit will be available at least until June 30, 2018. I wouldn't think you'd have trouble getting an SR prior to that, but who knows? At any rate, there will be 6 months of half credit thereafter, so I wouldn't think it's beneficial to pay $9,000 more to avoid a loss of $3,750 of tax credit in your case.

I highly doubt Tesla will keep under 200K sales until June 30th.

I highly doubt Tesla will keep under 200K sales until June 30th.
They don't have to. From the IRS:

"Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period."

So, if the 200,000th vehicle is sold in Q1 2018, 100% of the credit is available until the end of Q2 2018 (June 30). It appears that special vehicle will be sold toward the end of Q1 or the beginning of Q2.

They don't have to. From the IRS:

"Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period."

So, if the 200,000th vehicle is sold in Q1 2018, 100% of the credit is available until the end of Q2 2018 (June 30). It appears that special vehicle will be sold toward the end of Q1 or the beginning of Q2.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the clarifications.