Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are upgrading their refreshed 70kwh to a 75kwh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was wondering how many of us are doing the over the air upgrade to the full potential battery pack 75kwh? I have been telling myself yes then a few days go by and really think I don't need the additional 19 or so miles especially for the 3k! On the other it would be really cool to have the full potential of the battery and the 75D badge LOL. Just wanted to get some feeback from actual people who are in my shoes is all.....

Delivery should be next week :D

Was wondering how many of us are doing the over the air upgrade to the full potential battery pack 75kwh? I have been telling myself yes then a few days go by and really think I don't need the additional 19 or so miles especially for the 3k! On the other it would be really cool to have the full potential of the battery and the 75D badge LOL. Just wanted to get some feeback from actual people who are in my shoes is all.....

Delivery should be next week :D

Same dilemma here. I've thought long about it, but decided to stay a 70D for now, knowing I can always get the 75D afterwards.

It probably helps that I live in California and there's literally 3 supercharger stations within a 30 minute drive, and almost every place I go has destination charging…. But I just didn't think $3k for 19 rated miles was that compelling. Sure the 75D badge would be cool, but living around here if you don't have a McLaren you've lost pretty much any shot at people being impressed with your car, so I just gave up on it altogether.

Reactions: Tellotes
Same dilemma here. I've thought long about it, but decided to stay a 70D for now, knowing I can always get the 75D afterwards.

It probably helps that I live in California and there's literally 3 supercharger stations within a 30 minute drive, and almost every place I go has destination charging…. But I just didn't think $3k for 19 rated miles was that compelling. Sure the 75D badge would be cool, but living around here if you don't have a McLaren you've lost pretty much any shot at people being impressed with your car, so I just gave up on it altogether.
Very true in Cali. Was out there for the reveal of the model 3. Everywhere we turned was a tesla. It was pretty glorious for us.....

I definately am not going to upgrade. I just do not think the small amount of extra range is compelling for 3k. I am very curious to find out how the software lock works, and to see if we will be able to charge a 70 battery higher than normal on a regular basis without degradation due to the extra locked out capacity. Curious if any of the new owners of refreshed 70's had this conversation when they picked up the vehicle?

I believe the margin is left at the top of the battery so I am sticking with 70KW. That will mean that I can only charge to 93% of the battery capacity even when I say I want it fully charge, which will help with the longevity. It also means that as the battery ages and loses range, I will not "see" any degradation for quite some time.

That costly 19 miles will soon be 9 and then zero.

I definately am not going to upgrade. I just do not think the small amount of extra range is compelling for 3k. I am very curious to find out how the software lock works, and to see if we will be able to charge a 70 battery higher than normal on a regular basis without degradation due to the extra locked out capacity. Curious if any of the new owners of refreshed 70's had this conversation when they picked up the vehicle?
I will be asking this question when taking delivery. A lot of the tesla staff seems like they're learning about the new features slowly but surely. They need time to research and ask corporate it seems like. So i will ask my DS when I take delivery.

@Reeler Why do you believe that? I assume they are going to raise the anti-brick buffer by 5kWH, and by doing that the SOC percentages would still work 0-100%. (Unlike what they did with the 20kWh on the 40s that had a 60 kWh battery where they only let you charge to 69%.)

It would make more sense to do it the other way. They don't need a higher anti bricking buffer but keeping the margin at the top will result in slower degradation since you can never charge to 100%.

I don't, however, believe they will hide degradation with the locked up extra capacity. I believe that as the battery degrades, you're available kWh will also decline.