Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are upgrading their refreshed 70kwh to a 75kwh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other advantage of putting down in the anti-brick area is that if you run out of charge they can temporarily activate the extra 5kWh remotely rather than sending a tow truck.

The real reason I think they will do it is that it doesn't require any extra software development. Sure limiting your charge percentage to 93% probably won't require much extra development either, since they did the same thing for the 40s. Charging to 93% every day would trigger the rebalancing more often, though that probably isn't really a bad thing.

Leaving the space at the top gives you an extra 7% of daily usable capacity, which is almost like getting the 75kWh upgrade for free.

I guess we won't know until someone gets one and uses a CAN logger on it.

I definately am not going to upgrade. I just do not think the small amount of extra range is compelling for 3k. I am very curious to find out how the software lock works, and to see if we will be able to charge a 70 battery higher than normal on a regular basis without degradation due to the extra locked out capacity. Curious if any of the new owners of refreshed 70's had this conversation when they picked up the vehicle?

I too am curious about this. I look forward to hearing what people hear from their DS when they pick it up. But beware, Tesla may have already thought about this and be one step ahead to prevent people from getting a "freebie"

The margin is on the top end. That is what all other EV manufacturers have done. It reduces the warranty repairs because the battery receives less stress. Indeed, Tesla put the margin at the top before.

The call for more capacity idea is just nonsense and no other manufacturer has done that before. If I am wrong, I will manually set my car to charge to 93% and keep Tesla roadside assistance on speed dial for when I need the 19 miles. This would get me the full capacity for free and cost Tesla customer service calls. I don't think so.

Reactions: sorka
I'm going to find out once I pick it up. But I think the upgrade can only be done at a service center. I don't believe it's as easy as over the phone and taking a credit card.

The upgrade to autopilot appeared on the Tesla website. It looked like you could activate it from the web site. I bet this will be the same so you could do it from the browser in your nav unit.

Fine, if they only do it the first time, I'll just let them tow me the second time.

You aren't getting it; they only pay for getting you to a charging spot when you run out of charge once. And they don't even have to do that; it is just a courtesy. (Presumably to help people that are new to EVs and made a mistake in planning, or something else went wrong.)

OK - so the battery compartment was loaded with 75 kWh of cells, and only 70 kWh was made available. How is it that select cells are left idle? Are you not really using all that mass you are hauling around? Sounds like the capacity has always been 75 kWh. Not clear on what the upgrade is upgrading.

OK - so the battery compartment was loaded with 75 kWh of cells, and only 70 kWh was made available. How is it that select cells are left idle? Are you not really using all that mass you are hauling around? Sounds like the capacity has always been 75 kWh. Not clear on what the upgrade is upgrading.

Yes, the refreshed Model S 70 comes with a 75 kWh battery, that you can only use 70 kWh of without paying to unlock the remaining 5 kWh. Since I suspect the extra capacity is the same way they upgraded the 85 kWh packs to 90 kWh, I don't think there is a significant mass increase, it is just a different chemical formulation in the batteries themselves. (Same size/count of cells.)