Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you bought Tesla's ESA / Service Plans ?

Which Service / Warranty option did you go with?

• Some form of service plan with ESA

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • ESA without any service plan

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • No service plan or ESA

Votes: 38 31.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought both prepaid service and ext warranty since I feared prices will continue to go up ( for annual service ) and wanted to lock in today's rates. I normally do not buy "warranty cheese" but repairs are so expensive to be without protection in the out years.

I bought the pre-paid 4 year service plan because Signature buyers were told it was mandatory to keep the warranty valid. After that policy changed and it became optional, I was never offered the option of a refund, which really didn't matter since I would have probably bought it anyway.

I also bought the wheel insurance, because I think the 21" wheels are too pretty to not use, but seem to be pretty damn delicate in climates where sub-zero temperatures create monster pot holes.

In any case, if I do keep it more than 4 years I can always buy the prepaid service and ESA within 30 days of the 4 yr anniversary date.

Whoa, wait, both the ESA AND the year 5-8 prepaid service can be bought 30 days from expiration of the 4 year New Vehicle warranty? Is this on their web site? I couldn't find it. If that's the case, Then I agree with several other members that the best compromise between cost & savings would be to get the Year 1-4 prepaid service plan, and wait until the end of year 4 to decide whether to get the ESA & year 5-8 prepaid service plan.

I bought the 4 year prepaid services simply because I know I'll at least go in once a year anyway, and because it's cheaper. I also wanted to put a little more money in the coffers of Tesla by pre-paying. I had no idea it covered anything other than what I'd get if I paid for the service ala carte.

On my car they upgraded the TPMS controller and one of the chargers and a few other minor parts. Now you could make a case that some of these were warranty items, but the replacements were the updated parts, not the old parts.

Precisely, but someone without the service plan would still have been entitled to those upgrades under warranty. This still leaves the question of which additional hardware upgrades we are getting by paying for service.

Also, I'm not clear as to what isn't considered wear and tear/replacement parts. For instance, if my air suspension pump breaks after 4 years of use is that not considered a replacement part covered by my service plan?

Precisely, but someone without the service plan would still have been entitled to those upgrades under warranty. This still leaves the question of which additional hardware upgrades we are getting by paying for service.

Right now there doesn't seem to be much difference. In a couple of years that may change. The sign in the SC shows $175 for diagnosis and $175 per hour for labour. My guess is that if you don't have a plan, eventually they will start charging $175 for the diagnosis part every time you bring it in.

Also, I'm not clear as to what isn't considered wear and tear/replacement parts. For instance, if my air suspension pump breaks after 4 years of use is that not considered a replacement part covered by my service plan?

I have both plans so the pump would be covered under one or the other :)

Here in CT, no service plans are available, which has been actually very expensive for me so far. I'd love to get a service plan.
Do you mean that you've paid more than $600 for repairs? Could you expand on that? What required fixing that was not a warranty item?
I'm currently not planning to get a service plan as I understand it to be basically just prepayment for the $600 annual service. But maybe your experience might change my view on this. THanks.

I can't really vote in the poll because what I did isn't an option. I grudgingly pulled the trigger on the four year service plan. "Service Plan with no ESA" isn't an option in the poll.

There goes four years of purported "gas savings" to annual new wiper blades and wheel alignments...awesome. 4 years of service was free on my Z4, and the top went down on that. :mad:

I can't really vote in the poll because what I did isn't an option. I grudgingly pulled the trigger on the four year service plan. "Service Plan with no ESA" isn't an option in the poll.

There goes four years of purported "gas savings" to annual new wiper blades and wheel alignments...awesome. 4 years of service was free on my Z4, and the top went down on that. :mad:

Is it free or just included in the price?

I got service plan no ESA as well. The deductible on the ESA turned me off from me. I've purchased extended warranties on all my previous cars and used them, but none of them had deductibles and none of them were this expensive. So at $4k + $200 per different issue + the 100k mileage limit didn't make sense as I'm on track to hit 100k at 5 years.