Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 175406
I got a similar beam problem but mine is actually worse since the rails are attached to the beam
Yes I have seen your garage pictures. My first reaction was concern on the width of the door/entry though. I do recall seeing the rails on the beam as well.
I was thinking maybe a wiki post can be done using the measurements pictures etc we have from @ohmman's thread, showing best case, worst case and needs fixing scenarios for fully open and umbrella FWD modes. I am going to measure the setup again tomorrow morning and create an image like you did earlier for better understanding and discussion.

View attachment 175406

Yes I have seen your garage pictures. My first reaction was concern on the width of the door/entry though. I do recall seeing the rails on the beam as well.
I was thinking maybe a wiki post can be done using the measurements pictures etc we have from @ohmman's thread, showing best case, worst case and needs fixing scenarios for fully open and umbrella FWD modes. I am going to measure the setup again tomorrow morning and create an image like you did earlier for better understanding and discussion.

Here are the measurements

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 153
The detail I got from the tesla folks was that FWD is 7ft 6in high in the lowest setting of suspension and 8ft hight at the highest. I think the car goes to the lowest mode when parked (?) unless GPS override is set to highest
There is a bit more to the story. Look up some of the threads for reference and education on what's been going on with the FWD (some mishaps). I am unable to readily link those threads readily from the phone but some of them are:-https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/will-mx-fit-in-my-garage.53207/

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

We definitely lucked out with the clearance. Lowest point of the garage door railings and the garage door opener is still several inches above the fully opened falcon wing doors.

But we are upgrading/future-proofing the charging. Currently a pair of J1772 32amp stations. Upgrading one of them to become 3 daisy-chained Tesla HPWC's, so end result will be 4 charging stations (3 power-shared, and 1 independent).

We had to put an addition on our house 4 years ago, so I was able to design a Model-X garage/workspace from scratch. I had them wire in 2 x 240V lines, one with a dryer vent plug (40A?) and the other for a WC (60A). Since it was 4 years ago, so some of the details were thin back then. I was using slightly modified Model-S specs. for the design. Should fit fairly well, but I'm waiting to finish up some of the storage areas until I get the Model-X. It's been a very long wait.

All shelving in the garage removed (previous car. Was much smaller)
Garage repainted yesterday
HPWC being installed on the 18th
Would love to go with a side mounted opener
Blue tape on the floor right now to measure the car locations
Need to install the laser pointers

Does anyone know the paint color for Tesla Red (as used on their buildings)? Might have to paint my beams in the garage red :)

Reactions: WABarb
I wanted to update everyone on another option explained to me by my local garage door guy (highly recommended in San Diego). There is an option to move the opener and center torsion rail assembly off to on side (from the typical center position) so as to free up the garage center area vertical space for the X FWD. Yes you would still potentially have the rail off on one side as a possible bottleneck but it's still very likely too far off the FWD arc (as in my case). This modification option is approximately $200 and I think he will throw in a few inches of vertical clearance work for free. I will update the thread when I get the details and quotes formally. If anyone wants a garage door guy please PM me, I have used this veterans services and he is hands down the most honest, adept guy you can hire. Never upsells any service/parts.

I wanted to update everyone on another option explained to me by my local garage door guy (highly recommended in San Diego). There is an option to move the opener and center torsion rail assembly off to on side (from the typical center position) so as to free up the garage center area vertical space for the X FWD. Yes you would still potentially have the rail off on one side as a possible bottleneck but it's still very likely too far off the FWD arc (as in my case). This modification option is approximately $200 and I think he will throw in a few inches of vertical clearance work for free. I will update the thread when I get the details and quotes formally. If anyone wants a garage door guy please PM me, I have used this veterans services and he is hands down the most honest, adept guy you can hire. Never upsells any service/parts.

Does he service in Orange County?

There is an option to move the opener and center torsion rail assembly off to on side (from the typical center position) so as to free up the garage center area vertical space for the X FWD.
I think you're talking about a double-wide door, correct? Because in my single-wide door, the garage door opener is best in the center, where it lands directly between both FWDs.

We replaced one old-style HPWC with a new-style one, daisy chained a second HPWC for my X-to-be, upgraded the circuit from 50A to 80A, and will be raising the rails by 20", and switching to a side mount LiftMaster 8500. There are three single-bays, and the X will go in the center bay. There's a ceiling beam in the center of that, but I don't think it will impact anything. Ceilings are 10-12' high, I think. The width is a bigger concern...

With X on order I took a fresh look at my garage. Repainted all the walls and ceiling, and ordered fresh floor paint to make for a nicer looking parking space. Will order and have installed a charging cable when notified that delivery in immenent.

Did not realize my garage was so small. Fit the X inside and there is an inch of clearance in front of the car before the storage cabinets and an inch behind the car when the door closes. Luckily, the wings detect the garage rails and the side obstructions without issues and open appropriate amounts. But the X effectively becomes a garage partition when it's in there and can't access the far side of the garage without opening the door, lol.

Did not realize my garage was so small. Fit the X inside and there is an inch of clearance in front of the car before the storage cabinets and an inch behind the car when the door closes. Luckily, the wings detect the garage rails and the side obstructions without issues and open appropriate amounts. But the X effectively becomes a garage partition when it's in there and can't access the far side of the garage without opening the door, lol.
On a serious note, won't summon fix this issue?