Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the dimensions of our newly built space look perfect for the X, I think I'm reserving it for the NG Roadster...

IMG_1910.JPG

Did not realize my garage was so small. Fit the X inside and there is an inch of clearance in front of the car before the storage cabinets and an inch behind the car when the door closes. Luckily, the wings detect the garage rails and the side obstructions without issues and open appropriate amounts. But the X effectively becomes a garage partition when it's in there and can't access the far side of the garage without opening the door, lol.

I would have had the same problem. I removed all the storage shelving from my garage (good reason for some cleanup). It will still be pretty tight

After lot of deliberation I figured I will get the garage "fixed" after all. Had the garage guy come and take a look, he said the rails can be lifted a foot higher which will give me 2 inch clearance for the FWD in full open position at the max ht of air suspension. Also getting the Liftmaster 8500 installed as well.

The reasons for my decision are
1. Not trust in either me or DW to always remember to not open garage door when FWD is open
2. Not wanting to rely solely on the FWD sensors to safeguard the door - we have already seen too many pictures of sensor malfunction
3. The big reason for FWD is to get the kids in and out of car seat easily without having to do body contortions - felt like this purpose would be defeated if the FWD doesn't open fully. Yes I can do the same thing outside the garage but our area is pretty cold and foggy most of the time so prefer the relative comfort of my garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Saxena and ssq
Can someone remind me what's the minimum height at which the FWD can open for optimal comfort (not max nor min height). I am not referring to the umbrella mode but instead probing whether something like 86" (or another number N) works just perfect at which an average height individual(5' 10") can move in and out without any discomfort/bending down etc.

We got a quote to put in new doors with high lift and due to a number of factors we decided to go for it. Our current doors were installed by the previous owner DIY I believe and it isn't the best installation. We are going to get rid of the two springs for each door and use a single torsion spring instead which apparently is supposed to be safer. Plus the new doors will have insulation which should keep the temperate a few degrees cooler in the summer.

The total cost is less than a repair would likely be if we opened the garage while the falcon doors were open and caused damage.

The total cost is less than a repair would likely be if we opened the garage while the falcon doors were open and caused damage.

Bingo! My biggest reason too. To add to the financial damage the emotional damage and humiliation is not worth it. Imagine having to explain to your friends how you broke the new fancy doors of your $100k+ car.... " I opened the garage annnnddd....."

I am planning to park the Model X in the one-car garage with 84" rails on both side as shown in the picture. Is the FWD going to be an issue?

The FWDs will open, just not all the way. On the wall side they will open maybe 50% of the way. You will still be able to get in and out but you will have to duck. With the door closed they will probably open a little more than if it were open, but consequently I would not open the FWD door with the garage closed and then open the garage. That is why I am raising my doors.

I am thinking of adjusting my rails up a inch or so at the back. I opened my FWD very carefully and got a ladder out. It looks like I clear by about 1" but it could be 1/2". Not in my comfort zone.

I have my FWD set for umbrella mode just in case

Thanks, it looks like I should be okay too.

Spoke with my DS and he suggested to me to exit the car and use Summon to park and "unpark" the car to avoid using the FWD inside the garage. Seems troublesome :eek: and my wife already suggested to leave the car outside of the garage...

BTW, is there a manual override to stop the FWD when it is opening?

Spoke with my DS and he suggested to me to exit the car and use Summon to park and "unpark" the car to avoid using the FWD inside the garage. Seems troublesome :eek: and my wife already suggested to leave the car outside of the garage...

BTW, is there a manual override to stop the FWD when it is opening?
Yes, execute run=>jump=> grab and hang onto the culprit FWD. **Your Falcon Crunch may vary.

Joke apart, I thought about doing the same and I am 90% sure FWD will work just fine in my garage but at $800 to get a super quiet, new , internet connected, top of the line opener which gets me 102" of vertical clearance(from 88") and gets rid of the center rail altogether it seemed like a great value for money, especially since I could then enjoy full peace of mind and flexibility with the car inside the garage without worrying about anything.

Reactions: WABarb