Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the X on order, I have been debating whether to spend money on raising the railing about 10 inch so that the FWD can open fully without the risk of either it hitting anything or the garage door hitting it due to accidental open with FWD at high position. I wanted to create a poll to get general opinion from the gang here.

Work is still in progress because we got our X way before we thought.
  • Fresh paint and patching up the drywall
  • HPWC which includes upgrading the panel with pg&e
  • Roughed in the wiring for a second HPWC for model 3
  • Solar went in the past couple days
  • Raised the garage door to be almost flush with ceiling (turned out it wasn't necessary because we back the car in but it looks better and opens the option of going in forwards)
Still waiting on pg&e for the panel upgrade. Next project is to get a HPWC at the vacation home.

Yes, done so far
1) bought a garage area in my apartment complex to go with apartment refit
2) Roller door fitted
3) 3 phase separate power installed
4) internal walls moved to allow for size and shape needs of cars, storage for bikes and small home networking and sever backup room
Still to do
Still needs painting
Lighting upgrade
Wall connector has arrived but not connected yet
New security door that leads to staircase going up to apartment
Wifi in garage

Car isn't expected till late June at the earliest but my builders are working in Tesla time also so lets see what happens...

Reactions: Softwizard
Yes, done so far
1) bought a garage area in my apartment complex to go with apartment refit
2) Roller door fitted
3) 3 phase separate power installed
4) internal walls moved to allow for size and shape needs of cars, storage for bikes and small home networking and sever backup room
Still to do
Still needs painting
Lighting upgrade
Wall connector has arrived but not connected yet
New security door that leads to staircase going up to apartment
Wifi in garage

Car isn't expected till late June at the earliest but my builders are working in Tesla time also so lets see what happens...
Send us some pictures!!

(I think I'll be switching to a side axle mounted opener too)

I am debating if I need to do this. At the lowest point the rails are at 87". From the discussion thread by @ohmman I think I should be fine and I should not be wasting money for aesthetic reasons. I do have the option to possibly reuse my opener and still raise the garage door for about $600. May as well end up doing it for lease up mind and avoid any FWD mishaps.

I am debating if I need to do this. At the lowest point the rails are at 87". From the discussion thread by @ohmman I think I should be fine and I should not be wasting money for aesthetic reasons. I do have the option to possibly reuse my opener and still raise the garage door for about $600. May as well end up doing it for lease up mind and avoid any FWD mishaps.
I already had scheduled my upgrade, but as you can see from the photos I uploaded to the garage thread, I really didn't need to do anything. It'll be nice to have more room, but I don't know if it's a few thousand dollars nice.

My suggestion is really just to wait until you get it home and see how it goes at that point. Worse case, you use the FWD in the drive while you wait for the work to be done.

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
Work is still in progress because we got our X way before we thought.
  • Fresh paint and patching up the drywall
  • HPWC which includes upgrading the panel with pg&e
  • Roughed in the wiring for a second HPWC for model 3
  • Solar went in the past couple days
  • Raised the garage door to be almost flush with ceiling (turned out it wasn't necessary because we back the car in but it looks better and opens the option of going in forwards)
Still waiting on pg&e for the panel upgrade. Next project is to get a HPWC at the vacation home.
Nice. Pretty much where we will be next month around same time. Curious - do you use summon to backin? is it even possible to auto park into a garage backing in?

I already had scheduled my upgrade, but as you can see from the photos I uploaded to the garage thread, I really didn't need to do anything. It'll be nice to have more room, but I don't know if it's a few thousand dollars nice.

My suggestion is really just to wait until you get it home and see how it goes at that point. Worse case, you use the FWD in the drive while you wait for the work to be done.
Will do that, can the X be backed in on summon? That would permanently solve the problem. I suck at backing/reversing hence I ask.
Meanwhile I am discussing the option of raising the garage door using all the current setup and parts, and without a jackshaft side mounted opener. Vaguely described in the 3rd grader sketch below - moving the opener to the front of the beam and raising the rails by a good 4-6 inches. That would give me 98" of clearance.

20160430_103136.jpg

Pics of the Laser parking indicator would be great. Please.
Like so.. The goal is to park the car in the most preferred position and then set the laser pointer on a reference point on the car (dash center, a vent knob. .whatever you can remember and target everyday while parking).

Attachments

• fbb10b6c-3622-4e94-8f7a-606e67ed66c7.jpg._CB308751410__SR220,220_.jpg
    fbb10b6c-3622-4e94-8f7a-606e67ed66c7.jpg._CB308751410__SR220,220_.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 164
Will do that, can the X be backed in on summon? That would permanently solve the problem. I suck at backing/reversing hence I ask.
Meanwhile I am discussing the option of raising the garage door using all the current setup and parts, and without a jackshaft side mounted opener. Vaguely described in the 3rd grader sketch below - moving the opener to the front of the beam and raising the rails by a good 4-6 inches. That would give me 98" of clearance.

View attachment 175404

I got a similar beam problem but mine is actually worse since the rails are attached to the beam