Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you had Door handle issues on your Model S?

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
I've had two replaced in the past 18 months of ownership for minor issues. One had no LED, one had a bad pressure switch. Not sure how many were replaced in the first 4 years.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
We are all driving experimental cars folks, so failing things like this are absolutely expected. Every time something fails, Tesla learns and if it enough times, they make it better for future customers. So, next time something fails in your Tesla, just think about all the good you are doing for future Tesla customers, even if you have to pay $700 our of pocket to fix it - a selfless act to help future Tesla owners, and make Elon richer in the process. Feeling better? ;)

So far only one out of warranty handle fail for me in 4 Model S (see sig, 2015 door failed), probably don't drive them enough (especially during COVID times). I didn't bother to fix it, anyone who asks about it I just tell it's $700 to fix and I am not willing to pay - good warning for any potential Tesla customers. I plan to fix it myself for less, but haven't had the time and/or will power and since only use that door twice a week, I just open from the inside. If I was ELon I would spin it as a highjack proofing feature, you cannot open the door from the outside. :cool:

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
We are all driving experimental cars folks, so failing things like this are absolutely expected. Every time something fails, Tesla learns and if it enough times, they make it better for future customers. So, next time something fails in your Tesla, just think about all the good you are doing for future Tesla customers, even if you have to pay $700 our of pocket to fix it - a selfless act to help future Tesla owners, and make Elon richer in the process. Feeling better? ;)
I always love reading your very well written comments/posts as they always bring me back down to reality from the bubble my trouble free used MS has created for me. :) Let's hope it lasts for a while.

2nd owner, refreshed bumper, June 2016 build 75D with 39K miles. No issues with door handles so far.

morepower

Sep 4, 2017
Washington
Zero door handle issues except one misaligned at delivery (factory sloppiness) which was fixed with a ranger visit. Aug 2017 build with 30K miles and 3rd gen handles.

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
My car has original 2012, gen1. I've fixed about six. Have six spares. The gear is the most broken. One with tiny micro switch. One the wire rusted off. I have tool bag just for this fun. I've changed four window regulator.
Gen 2 door handles won't work on my antique.

David29

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Same car. 40k miles. SoCal based. No door issues.
I am amazed when I read that someone with a Model S of about my same vintage (2015, 53K miles) reports having no door handle problems! I had three or four handle failures while the car was in the original warranty period, and one since. And now my driver's door handle has failed once to open, so I suspect it won't be long before this one goes (again), too. I drive the car alone at least 50% of the time, maybe more, and rarely drive more than one other person, so I would have expected the handles to last longer on mine than on some cars. Some folks are just lucky I guess.

Reactions: croman

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
I've had one swapped at my cost on my 2015 70D in the 12 months I've had it. Tesla told me that two others had been replaced in the past.

Question for the OP - what are you planning to do with this information. Class action or just curious?

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
I am amazed when I read that someone with a Model S of about my same vintage (2015, 53K miles) reports having no door handle problems! I had three or four handle failures while the car was in the original warranty period, and one since. And now my driver's door handle has failed once to open, so I suspect it won't be long before this one goes (again), too. I drive the car alone at least 50% of the time, maybe more, and rarely drive more than one other person, so I would have expected the handles to last longer on mine than on some cars. Some folks are just lucky I guess.
Car was a demo for three months and 1500 miles before it was sold to first owner. No records of any failures. Maybe handles were replaced early on.

Had to pull my pack for contactors replacement, and now MCU1 is going. Not all luck is good.

Dukeybootie

Nov 12, 2015
United States

One more data point -- 2015 85D, 125k miles, one door handle replacement (driver's door).

FWIW I have the car programmed to extend only the driver's door by default so there is a lot less wear and tear on the other three.

• Informative
Reactions: David29

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
One more data point -- 2015 85D, 125k miles, one door handle replacement (driver's door).

FWIW I have the car programmed to extend only the driver's door by default so there is a lot less wear and tear on the other three.
I'd sure like to know how to do this...nothing I can find on the screen or in the manual.

Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
i have a 2014 P85D 2 door handles have broken on me both times it was the paddle gear that broke. first one was rear pass, second was drivers door. both times i fixed myself in the driveway with the kit from evtuning instead of just replacing the $5 gear, because i didn't want to pull it apart ever again so it now has the better wires and better gear. its expensive but my time is worth it IMO.

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
I forgot to tell u all. When I open the left rear door. The right Front door opens. Tesla can't figure it out. Left rear door handle will not present, it's new, in fact second new one. Left rear window will not work. Everything new twice. Tesla said can't figure it out. My antique has its challenges.

• Informative
Reactions: David29

David29

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA

Right, good point. I tried that for awhile. But even though I am often the sole occupant, I found it annoying because I often have "stuff" to put into the back seat, such as store purchases or a coat, etc. Plus on those occasions when my spouse was with me, I sometimes felt I might be annoying her unnecessarily, by making her wait while I dug out my key fob and unlocked the other doors so she could get in. So, I guess my own laziness catches up with me.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC