Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you had Door handle issues on your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 model. Had Tesla mobile replaced the clip on the rear door after 2 years of ownership. In the last 18 months, had all four of the doors replaced the full module. They all broke about a few months apart of each other.
The #1 reason why it broke is the dumb design using a small plastic clip to push the handle out. Over time it breaks.
Cost about 300ish per door.

I have a 2015 85D with 116K miles. I love the car but the door handles are driving me crazy. My fourth door failed a few days ago so now all four will have been replaced. In addition I’ve had to have the rear hatchback power latch also repaired. I spent at least an hour on the friggin TeslaApp trying to get a mobile repair done without having to drive 200+ miles to a service center. They have finally given me a mobile service appointment for over 7 weeks from now. There is no one to complain to that has any authority.
it seems to me that this issue should have been repaired under some type of product design failure. They are going to have some competition soon and unless they get their act together they are going to lose a lot of business. All I’ve read about satisfaction surveys indicates that people like the car but really dislike the service. Count me in that group.

I have a 2015 85D with 116K miles. I love the car but the door handles are driving me crazy. My fourth door failed a few days ago so now all four will have been replaced. In addition I’ve had to have the rear hatchback power latch also repaired. I spent at least an hour on the friggin TeslaApp trying to get a mobile repair done without having to drive 200+ miles to a service center. They have finally given me a mobile service appointment for over 7 weeks from now. There is no one to complain to that has any authority.
it seems to me that this issue should have been repaired under some type of product design failure. They are going to have some competition soon and unless they get their act together they are going to lose a lot of business. All I’ve read about satisfaction surveys indicates that people like the car but really dislike the service. Count me in that group.
Yea Tesla escalation and phone support sucks. It often times requires you having to physically drive to a service center to speak to someone. They don’t reply to email. There is absolutely near zero online or phone support.

2016 Refreshed Model S. 50k miles. Driver handle just died. This is the first handle that will need to be replaced.

I have a mobile appt set for next week. How long did everyone have to wait to get their handles fixed?
Bummer, sorry to hear that. We have a mid 2014 and so far, never an issue. Now that I have said that, it's probably gonna die in the garage right now. :oops:

Reactions: okevinsano
2018 100d with 28,000 miles. Drivers handle servo died. Ranger came out and couldn't fix - didn't have parts. They had to order the assembly (on backorder) and it took 5 weeks after the first visit (8 weeks all together) and I'm up and running again. Kind of a waste with the first visit - not sure why they bothered coming if they didn't have parts - maybe hoped it was an easier fix?