TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How many of you plan to keep your Tesla Shares?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by TexasTeslaRacing, Aug 7, 2018.

?

How many of you plan to keep your Tesla Shares?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2018.
  1. Yes

73.3%
  2. No

4.0%
  3. Maybe, need more info

22.7%
  1. TexasTeslaRacing

Curious to know what percentage of you will keep your shares if Tesla goes private.

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Yup!

Knowing Elon, he still has several tricks/ideas up his sleeves, and when the Wall Street shackles are finally off, he'll be unstoppable.

• Like x 4
  3. dkemme

dkemme Supporting Member

My shares are in an IRA and SEP IRA and not sure if I can continue ownership as private company.

4. Leo Snow

Leo Snow Member

if Tesla goes private what will happen with the shares if I want to keep them? I'm having them in my TFSA account (I'm in Canada)

5. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

You get cashed out. You will not have an option to keep your shares.

• Disagree x 1
  6. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

you cant keep them. You will be cashed out at $420 per share.

• Disagree x 3
  7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Well, according to Elon (and everyone else), we will have the option to hold our shares in the new private company.

• Like x 1
  8. mmccord

mmccord Member

#8 mmccord, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Only if Elon is planning on changing US law..

9. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

This is going to be another "P100D loaners for all!" promise that doesn't materialize. SEC rules say if you have more than 500 non accredited investors, or 2,000 investors overall, you must perform some reporting under the Exchange Act. Something I am assuming he would want to avoid.....

Maybe I am wrong, but i think that red tape is going to cause him to reverse course and force a buyout.

10. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Elon says a lot of things. Follow through... not so much.

11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Definitions are the issue. A special purpose fund can comply as a single investor in some cases.
    How Fidelity's Ownership in SpaceX Could Be a Model for Tesla
    There are technical requirements that investors in such funds must qualify as 'sophisticated' investors but are not limited in number. As the Bloomberg piece points out there are a number of those. I am invested in one such fund, in the specific case it is only securities of a single private firm, but there are multiple security types. This arena is quite complex and regulatory compliance is tricky. Fidelity has done this for some time. FWIW, these investments are often rather illiquid. For my part I view them as buy-and-hold. Fidelity is not making these funds as an eleemosynary activity either. OTOH, private companies are cheaper to run than are public ones.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

His tweet:
    Twitter

• Like x 1
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

His related tweet:
    Twitter
    No idea of the technicalities on it.

14. cpa

cpa Active Member

I learned that word in ninth grade English in 1968. Glad to see it is still making the rounds.

• Funny x 1
  15. cpa

cpa Active Member

I think you need to check with your custodian. It has been my experience over the years that the traditional custodians like banks, brokers, and mutual funds do not mess around with assets other than cash, publicly-traded stocks, bonds, mutual funds and the like.

I do know that there are specialty custodians out there who will allow unencumbered real estate and other non-traditional investments like partnership interests to be owned by the pension/IRA. Compliance is trickier, and sometimes requires the need to file income tax returns for UBTI. Illiquid securities like a putative non-public Tesla likely would be something for one of these specialty custodians to consider. But no UBTI at least!

• Like x 1