Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you removed your Hubcaps?

How many of you removed your Hubcaps?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the "wheel covers" exist to make the Tesla more efficient and aerodynamic...but they're so ugly! I removed them today to see what's underneath, and the Tesla wheels don't look bad. (MYL) So I'm wondering how many of you keep off your Hubcaps?

I took mine off and put these on instead....

12-BF1-BE3-1259-4051-8093-3-AD431-FB363-C.jpg

I took mine after after the first few days because IMHO the aero covers look hideous. Then after about a year I got black wheel covers which I think look vastly better then the bare Gemini wheels. That was about six months ago and I'm still very impressed by how good the car looks with the black covers (and tinted windows).

For me, pictures don't really do justice to the looks of the covers and wheels. I was planning to keep the aero covers until I saw them in person. Then I was happy with the bare wheels until I tried the black covers. Now I'm blown away. BTW: I also got rid of almost all the outside chrome, replacing it with black.

i wish the gemini wheels came as black by default so all the black hubcabs would have blended in nicely.
I thought about spraying Plastidip (rubberized and easily peeled off) around the parts of the rim that showed under the hubcaps, but then decided I didn't care enough to go through the effort. I've had a few people ask me where I got the wheels (they could see it was fewer spokes than ubertine). I'm just happy that I could get caps that look like wheels and I still have the extra range that 19" wheels provides.

506-BA172-71-CE-4-DEB-B250-AF7746557-DE7.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about spraying Plastidip (rubberized and easily peeled off) around the parts of the rim that showed under the hubcaps, but then decided I didn't care enough to go through the effort. I've had a few people ask me where I got the wheels (they could see it was fewer spokes than ubertine). I'm just happy that I could get caps that look like wheels and I still have the extra range that 19" wheels provides.

506-BA172-71-CE-4-DEB-B250-AF7746557-DE7.jpg
where did you get it from and how much you paid ?

The tests I've seen come to 3 miles or less lossed with gemini wheels without caps vs gemini wheels with caps.... lots of factors to consider. Are you driving at 70mph the majority of your trip or are we talking around town mostly? If around town, there will be no difference at all. If the entire test is at 70mph then there might be a 4-5% difference... from going co pletely full battery to completely empty that might be up to 10 miles range lost. Considering we drive a mix of around town and highway.. the difference is minimal. Definitely would prefer a cool looking car and lose 3 miles of range.

P uses more battery for accelerating quicker / going faster

Last edited:
The tests I've seen come to 3 miles or less lossed with gemini wheels without caps vs gemini wheels with caps.

P uses more battery for accelerating quicker / going faster

Dude, this isn’t the only test saying this. And Tesla’s own order page says 12 miles. Tesla would not in a million years put that on there if it wasn’t ballpark as it hurts the sale of the 20s, which they make good coin on.
Nearly all of that difference is going to be the open design. The battery on the P is not cranking out extra power to go the same speed as the LR, except to cover the higher drag and prob some higher rolling resistance from the wheels.
you can engage with some other tests and explain why they’re more reliable ... I’m open to logic and a rational discussion,
But ease up on the baseless downvotes.

Dude, this isn’t the only test saying this. And Tesla’s own order page says 12 miles. Tesla would not in a million years put that on there if it wasn’t ballpark as it hurts the sale of the 20s, which they make good coin on.
Nearly all of that difference is going to be the open design. The battery on the P is not cranking out extra power to go the same speed as the LR, except to cover the higher drag and prob some higher rolling resistance from the wheels.
you can engage with some other tests and explain why they’re more reliable ... I’m open to logic and a rational discussion,
But ease up on the baseless downvotes.
I chose to downvote because there are many factors that were not addressed. Nobody can have an opinion about range without knowing how/where the OP Is driving. Just trying to promote some critical thinking.