TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How many of you Smart Summon the car?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MrKool, Dec 21, 2019.

1. MrKool

MrKool Member

I know it is nerve racking but I have been doing it and every time I do it I end up with a lot of people watching :) I usually do the summon and start walking towards the car and meet it half way.

2. FatherTo1

FatherTo1 Member

I do it as a demonstration but only in a relatively quiet parking lot at work when most folks are gone during lunch or at the end of the day. I tried using it once at a Trader Joe's parking lot and it was just too much hassle -- too many things that trigger the car to stop and then it is slow to resume. Not worth the time.

• Informative x 1
  3. MrKool

MrKool Member

the first time I didn't know what I was doing and people got infront of it to make videos so it stopped in the middle of the road :) I had to walk over but depending on the end position you pick it shows you the line the car will take to get to you and if you move the point back and forth you can get it to come through the middle and not close to other cars. Most of the YouTube videos are of people failing to properly summon the car I think we need to post some good examples out there too.

• Informative x 1
  4. r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok Active Member

I just can't seem to get it to work on my wife's model 3

5. Zer0t

Zer0t Member

I can’t get it working on my wife’s S.

6. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

I've probably done it about 2 dozen times. One time coming back from the airport carrying my luggage. I had it summon to me with another passenger leaving and he was in complete shock =) it came around the corner of parked cars to me. Mind you this was at 11 PM so traffic wasn't much of a factor.

I'd never summon it if I see that it could cause a traffic jam but its really cool to show it off to others when I do be full aware its a complete party trick because simply walking to it is usually more effective than fumbling with your phone.

• Like x 1
  7. Ande

Ande Member

Not anymore, Tesla destroyed the summon by requiring the car and you to be within 6meters.
    So a very good GNSS fix is needed.
    Result: you can stand there like a dummy waiting for too long till you give up.

Another great feature RIP. This , with the AP nag , is the way Tesla goes.

• Like x 1
  8. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Have one car with smart summon, one with dumb summon (which was supposed to find me anywhere on private property according to Elon, LOL), but have never used either, not even once. Both of them are way to stupid to be reliable, and having gone through an accident with a Tesla, it's not worth the change I would have to go through a collision repair (takes forever). I would gladly it sell that capability back to Tesla.

• Like x 2
  9. Donsanborn

Donsanborn Member

Have tried it a few times, a little nerve racking around other traffic, also discovered that it does not know how to do a U turn to get back to me. I like it and will try using it more.

10. Mysta

Mysta Former Vendor

I've started kinda minding my parking area when I park and it's raining or looks like rain and try and give it a nice clean path. I have had no issues other than a friend walking up and trying to talk to me when I had just summoned and felt a little awkward with my car sitting at the sidewalk and people having to drive around it.

11. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

If I had a physical disability I would definitely use it. Right now It takes far longer than just walking to my car so it’s still a party trick.

12. PACEMD

PACEMD Active Member

I had to rename my car Godot. You know, so when I'm in a parking lot waiting for my P3D- to come pick me up on Smart Summons and people ask me what I'm doing I can honestly say..........I'm waiting for Godot........

• Funny x 3
  13. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

Tried it once in an empty park lot with my X. It worked. Didn’t try it with my 3, and don’t intend to. At current level, I just don’t see the point. Hopefully in the future it will be more reliable and useful.

14. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

The important things I noticed, it works much better when there's car around than if its an empty parking lot. The camera machine vision can see cars and avoid them but it doesn't recognize parking lines. So it stays in its path much better when it knows there's a car nearby vs. parking lines only where it decides to plow right through them.

• Like x 2
  15. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I mainly do it as a party trick. Don't really use it in my daily commute. Not sure if I trust it for primetime yet lol.

• Like x 1
  16. PACEMD

PACEMD Active Member

You must have some wild parties in your neck of the woods.........

• Like x 1
  17. MrKool

MrKool Member

it is a very cool party trick :) and I agree most YouTube videos were in empty parking lots but Tesla responds better in crowded places if there are other cars etc. I normally start walking towards it any way so it is like it is picking me up :) Oh and I just thought of a perfect name for my Tesla I have it named Tesseract but I will rename it to KITT :)

• Like x 1
  18. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

I've used it successfully a couple times, but the last time I tried it, instead of turning towards me, the car headed towards the exit, like it was going to head home without me!

• Funny x 3
  19. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tried to use it in the last week to back out of our garage, backing out about 15 feet onto our driveway.

When the display showed the path to be backing out and then doing a circle drive off the driveway to get to me (which was a straight shot down the driverway), cancelled the smart summon.

20. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

In fairness, from my understanding, that was required by EU regulations. Tesla had nothing to do with it.

• Informative x 1