Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you Smart Summon the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do it as a demonstration but only in a relatively quiet parking lot at work when most folks are gone during lunch or at the end of the day. I tried using it once at a Trader Joe's parking lot and it was just too much hassle -- too many things that trigger the car to stop and then it is slow to resume. Not worth the time.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
the first time I didn't know what I was doing and people got infront of it to make videos so it stopped in the middle of the road :) I had to walk over but depending on the end position you pick it shows you the line the car will take to get to you and if you move the point back and forth you can get it to come through the middle and not close to other cars. Most of the YouTube videos are of people failing to properly summon the car I think we need to post some good examples out there too.

• Informative
I've probably done it about 2 dozen times. One time coming back from the airport carrying my luggage. I had it summon to me with another passenger leaving and he was in complete shock =) it came around the corner of parked cars to me. Mind you this was at 11 PM so traffic wasn't much of a factor.

I'd never summon it if I see that it could cause a traffic jam but its really cool to show it off to others when I do be full aware its a complete party trick because simply walking to it is usually more effective than fumbling with your phone.

Not anymore, Tesla destroyed the summon by requiring the car and you to be within 6meters.
So a very good GNSS fix is needed.
Result: you can stand there like a dummy waiting for too long till you give up.

Another great feature RIP. This , with the AP nag , is the way Tesla goes.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
Have one car with smart summon, one with dumb summon (which was supposed to find me anywhere on private property according to Elon, LOL), but have never used either, not even once. Both of them are way to stupid to be reliable, and having gone through an accident with a Tesla, it's not worth the change I would have to go through a collision repair (takes forever). I would gladly it sell that capability back to Tesla.

Reactions: Corsair and AMPd
I've started kinda minding my parking area when I park and it's raining or looks like rain and try and give it a nice clean path. I have had no issues other than a friend walking up and trying to talk to me when I had just summoned and felt a little awkward with my car sitting at the sidewalk and people having to drive around it.

The important things I noticed, it works much better when there's car around than if its an empty parking lot. The camera machine vision can see cars and avoid them but it doesn't recognize parking lines. So it stays in its path much better when it knows there's a car nearby vs. parking lines only where it decides to plow right through them.

Reactions: evfeh and MrKool
it is a very cool party trick :) and I agree most YouTube videos were in empty parking lots but Tesla responds better in crowded places if there are other cars etc. I normally start walking towards it any way so it is like it is picking me up :) Oh and I just thought of a perfect name for my Tesla I have it named Tesseract but I will rename it to KITT :)

Reactions: bktiger86
Tried to use it in the last week to back out of our garage, backing out about 15 feet onto our driveway.

When the display showed the path to be backing out and then doing a circle drive off the driveway to get to me (which was a straight shot down the driverway), cancelled the smart summon.

Not anymore, Tesla destroyed the summon by requiring the car and you to be within 6meters.
So a very good GNSS fix is needed.
Result: you can stand there like a dummy waiting for too long till you give up.

Another great feature RIP. This , with the AP nag , is the way Tesla goes.

In fairness, from my understanding, that was required by EU regulations. Tesla had nothing to do with it.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16