Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you Smart Summon the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried it at work and will never live it down. All it had to do was pull out and and turn left and I was standing one row of cars over. instead it decided to go to BOTTOM of the row cars (which was very long row)
I thought oh well it will take the long way but still get to me and looks cool. wrong! It drove itself right out of the circle of trust, stopped parked and then would not start again since it kept telling me I was too far away!
Well no *sugar*! You moved to far away! With head held low I walked the distance to retrieve car.
We had a little chat about embarrassing me when I got there of course.

In fairness, from my understanding, that was required by EU regulations. Tesla had nothing to do with it.

Yes,the corrupt EU can always find up new rules.
Like: make noise so fossil cars have no disadvantage there.
But Tesla, does not need to use updates for evil, no other car manufacturers ever need to instantly apply new, stupid, rules to all already existing, cars, if they were ok at the time of sale.

Next year the lobbyist club (EU) wants all EVs to make noise, maybe Tesla will force this crap on us by automatically rolling down the windows on bars without external speakers and play loud diesel engine sound to satisfy that BS?

Software updates should not be used for evil, to harm existing customers.
I always liked the updates, now I realize that the crappy, outdated car industry can destroy all my precious Tesla features, like add crazy nagging, and Tesla is willing to instantly execute it.

Tesla is not loyal to the customer.

Yes,the corrupt EU can always find up new rules.
Like: make noise so fossil cars have no disadvantage there.
But Tesla, does not need to use updates for evil, no other car manufacturers ever need to instantly apply new, stupid, rules to all already existing, cars, if they were ok at the time of sale.

Next year the lobbyist club (EU) wants all EVs to make noise, maybe Tesla will force this crap on us by automatically rolling down the windows on bars without external speakers and play loud diesel engine sound to satisfy that BS?

Software updates should not be used for evil, to harm existing customers.
I always liked the updates, now I realize that the crappy, outdated car industry can destroy all my precious Tesla features, like add crazy nagging, and Tesla is willing to instantly execute it.

Tesla is not loyal to the customer.

I believe they do, in fact, have to make such changes, or they can be locked out of all Europe entirely. They have no legal power to refuse to enforce those regulations.

Case in point: every autopilot/FSD feature they give you unlocks more of the money you paid for the features. It’s in their own best interest for you to have everything unlocked. Even if you believe they hate you for some reason, they gain nothing, and lose $billions, by keeping it from you.

I get that you want someone to be angry with, but you’re targeting the people with the least control over the situation.

Reactions: SO16
I’m really disappointed in this feature. The few times I have tried it were total failures. Small parking lots with nobody else moving around. It would back our part way then pull back in before trying again. Once it backed out only part way and headed toward the car I was next to. ABORT! One time it went forward instead of backwards and went into some bushes. ABORT! The one time it started toward me, it serpentined the whole way and generally made a menace of itself. I drove away in shame.
MCU1/AP2.0

wanted to share a recent (today) incident (of sorts) that I had with Smart Summon.
Car was parked in a parking spot with passenger side next to a curb. Car was parked with maybe 7 inches of space between curb itself and the wheels. There was a Vehicle parked behind my model S (2017) and no vehicle in front. (Front of my car was facing open lane of the parking lot as I had backed into the spot earlier in the morning.

I summoned the car to come to me. (I was about 100 feet from the front passenger side of the car). The car first started to back up a bit, then stopped. I noticed the wheels turning a bit as the car exited the parking spot (moving forward) and then it started to turn to the right but before the rear passenger wheel had cleared the parking space. My Car ended up driving up onto the curb. (Rear wheel up on the curb). I was VERY lucky as the one week old 21" Arachnids somehow amazingly did not get curbed. Tire was cosmetically scuffed, but wheel itself totally fine.

Uncertain why this happened as I've smart summoned successfully out of parking spots before with zero issues.

Well, there is a reason why Tesla refers to it as beta. Just glad no damage was done.

MCU1/AP2.0 (if it matters)

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
I always wanted to try but is it possible to stay inside the car or is it easy to stop it since you need to disable
the regular 'always pressing' summon control.

It would be nice if the car could send an image of the location to park, like in the case of the Auto Park.

I have mine set where you have to remain pressing the button on the phone to use summon.
For smart summon, I dont think you have a choice/believe that it requires you to constantly press the button or it aborts

I have mine set where you have to remain pressing the button on the phone to use summon.
For smart summon, I dont think you have a choice/believe that it requires you to constantly press the button or it aborts
I might have been a little confused, I was thinking about the "Auto Park", for which I wonder how much control you might have?

I mean, is there a way to know in advance where the car plan to move (like for the Self Park),
and is there a way to stop the car manually (like for the summon)?

In the following video, it seems that as soon as the diver exit the car and close the door,
the car starts to move without any confirmation from the driver,
and to stop the car the driver open one of the doors:

How to Make Your Tesla Park Itself! | Tesla Auto Park | Dumb Summon | Smart Park

Last edited:
wanted to share a recent (today) incident (of sorts) that I had with Smart Summon.
Car was parked in a parking spot with passenger side next to a curb. Car was parked with maybe 7 inches of space between curb itself and the wheels. There was a Vehicle parked behind my model S (2017) and no vehicle in front. (Front of my car was facing open lane of the parking lot as I had backed into the spot earlier in the morning.

I summoned the car to come to me. (I was about 100 feet from the front passenger side of the car). The car first started to back up a bit, then stopped. I noticed the wheels turning a bit as the car exited the parking spot (moving forward) and then it started to turn to the right but before the rear passenger wheel had cleared the parking space. My Car ended up driving up onto the curb. (Rear wheel up on the curb). I was VERY lucky as the one week old 21" Arachnids somehow amazingly did not get curbed. Tire was cosmetically scuffed, but wheel itself totally fine.

Uncertain why this happened as I've smart summoned successfully out of parking spots before with zero issues.

Well, there is a reason why Tesla refers to it as beta. Just glad no damage was done.

MCU1/AP2.0 (if it matters)

I think I know the issue in your situation. I suspect you only had 1 adjacent park car on left side and an open curb on the other. Thus the car did not believe that was any obstruction to the right and drove over it. This is because our cars cannot recognize curbs and parking lanes yet. To accomplish Smart Summon in most parking lots, Tesla currently relies on OpenStreetMap. I've noticed my car behaving MUCH MUCH better when I program in the parking lots but when its missing, its relying entirely on its sensors alone which continue to be very developing field.

Our Tesla's are only very good at recognizing other cars and certain types of objects (traffic cones & trash cans for example lol). You can see that is how AutoPark works presently by relying on identifying 2 adjacent parked cars and the spot inbetween as an open parking spot. The car does NOT use lane lines to identify a parking spot but only the presence of adjacent cars. Until the cameras learn to see curb's and parking lanes, this will remain an issue. I suspect they will tackle this problem as they try to conduct Smart AutoPark which would HAVE to start to recognize lane lines and curbs.

I've used it a little but mostly as a cool trick and I really have no confidence in it.

I've been dying to show this feature to my dad and I finally had the chance this weekend when I visited him. We were in a gas station parking lot and I parked the car at one end of the station lot and walked to the other end (maybe about 50 feet away). The car would've had to simply make a small left turn in the lot and then drive straight to me.

Well when I brought up the map to see the path the car would take, it appears that the plan was for the car to exit the parking lot altogether, drive straight across a main roadway (including over a center median), then hang a left at a corner and enter the gas station from the opposite side essentially making a big circle...SMH...

Needless to say, I did not get to show off smart summon :)

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
I think I know the issue in your situation. I suspect you only had 1 adjacent park car on left side and an open curb on the other. Thus the car did not believe that was any obstruction to the right and drove over it. This is because our cars cannot recognize curbs and parking lanes yet. To accomplish Smart Summon in most parking lots, Tesla currently relies on OpenStreetMap. I've noticed my car behaving MUCH MUCH better when I program in the parking lots but when its missing, its relying entirely on its sensors alone which continue to be very developing field.

Our Tesla's are only very good at recognizing other cars and certain types of objects (traffic cones & trash cans for example lol). You can see that is how AutoPark works presently by relying on identifying 2 adjacent parked cars and the spot inbetween as an open parking spot. The car does NOT use lane lines to identify a parking spot but only the presence of adjacent cars. Until the cameras learn to see curb's and parking lanes, this will remain an issue. I suspect they will tackle this problem as they try to conduct Smart AutoPark which would HAVE to start to recognize lane lines and curbs.

Thanks for the response. I just double checked the map in Smart Summon, but my work parking lot is showing up as fully detailed. Down to the lines, trees, shrubs, curbs. Extremely detailed. And yes, there was a car parked adjacent to me/other side of my car. But I agree with your assessment on needing improvement in seeing curbs. In the same parking lot two weeks ago, I had the car parked nose first facing a (fairly tall) curb. Car was slightly angled downward/nose first. Again, an end spot, but this time drivers side was parallel to a curb. A car was parked next to my car on passenger side. I was about 60 feet from the car, in front of it, closest to drivers side. There was an open lane in the parking lot, behind my car. On the other side of the lane, was another row of parked cars. When I activated Smart Summon, I fully expected my car to slowly go in reverse. Instead it started to move forward towards the (somewhat tall) curb. I immediately let go of the button, and fortunately, the car stopped before the front bumper chin hit the curb.

Seems like the Model S (and maybe others) could benefit from a camera inside the tesla logo in the front grill, camera aimed slightly downward. Or a camera built into the lower portion of the actual front bumper cover. And maybe cameras mounted underneath each side view mirror. That would seem to give much better coverage for things like curbs, to avoid situations like above.

As it stands now? I cant trust smart summon to not scrape/tap an adjacent car thats beside me in a parking spot.

On a separate note: Havent had a chance to test the smart park yet, but as I enter my driveway at home, there is an approximate 20 foot area of my front yard to my left/passenger side of the car, before the actual house structure begins. Each time I pull into my driveway and move slowly past the yard portion of the property? The "P" on the dashboard appears. I decided to put it into reverse, tap the "P" on the MCU to see what would happen. The car attempted reversed, turned right (towards passenger side) and began to park itself onto the lawn area. lol

I've been occasionally trying this at my work parking lot. I can do the summon from in the building while looking out the window getting a great view of the parking lot. Usually a few people to watch from the windows while I do this. The map has the 4 rows of the parking lot detailed and is willing to attempt to summon from the first three rows. The fourth row it considers too far away. I target the area by the building entrance. I'm a nerd, I keep score. It has worked reasonably well 8 out of 15 times. I consider a failure anytime I need to stop it, except if it is just to wait for a car or person to pass.

There have been some serious failures, some more serious than others. One failure had it drive up an angled curb as shown in the picture, on the wrong side of the road. Another had it go spuriously forwards when it should have been backing. On one occasion my friend intentionally walked in front of the car while it was driving, it took a second to stop and would have hit an unwitting pedestrian. It didn't hit him as he dodged it. I was in on it so I let him do this and didn't stop the car, which I normally would have done if there were any pedestrians or bikes which the release notes say to watch for.

My favorite failure is when I tried from the furthest away row and it showed a good path so I let it try. As it was driving, it needed to go about 30 feet further away from where it started. It then stopped and said "too far away to summon" having driven itself to that spot.

Two of the failures had to do with other cars entering the lot as it was driving and having standoffs where it stopped because of the other car and the other car basically being in the way but waiting for my car to pass.

Another failure had the car backing out of its spot in the wrong direction and then trying to do an awkward 3 (or 4 or 5) point turn. The route map marked backing out the correct way.

It is fun to try, but not reliable in its current state.
IMG_6239.jpg

Don't drive like this ;)

Wonder if part of the issues relate to night time and/or weather? When mine went up onto the curb, admittedly it was raining.
However, when it attempted to move forward towards a curb the other time, it was a clear and overcast day.

When it shows the "P" for my front yard as a perpendicular parking spot, its clear.

I think I just answered my own question. LOL

Also, my guess? A traditional car maker would consider the current iteration of smart summon, not ready to be released to the public yet. Too many documented reports of ongoing issues. I realize tesla says on the screen its "beta", but I just dont know if BMW/Mercedes/Porshe would release a "beta" feature as critical as this.