Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you still carry keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious how many of you still carry standard keys with you. Obviously if you live in an apartment or somewhere that you don't access your house through a garage, you'll still be carrying keys.

In my personal case, I'm awaiting arrival of my SR+ and my front door is smart home + geofenced so it unlocks when I pull into my driveway. I'm pondering making my "Wallet, Keys, Phone" check to just "Wallet, phone" and ditching keys in general.

What do you guys think?

I still use key fobs (for S & X) since it's too inconvenient to pull up phone, login to Tesla app and unlock and start car. I enter the house through the garage, although I do have an August lock for the front door since 2015 and love it.

I'm curious about Apple's car key implementation which I believe comes with iOS14 or iPhone 12, not quite sure. If it's better than the above steps and is compatible with Tesla fobs, I may go that route.

I still use key fobs (for S & X) since it's too inconvenient to pull up phone, login to Tesla app and unlock and start car. I enter the house through the garage, although I do have an August lock for the front door since 2015 and love it.

I'm curious about Apple's car key implementation which I believe comes with iOS14 or iPhone 12, not quite sure. If it's better than the above steps and is compatible with Tesla fobs, I may go that route.
How reliable is the August lock for you? Thats what I have been looking at

It's been very reliable - and this is the first gen that we have (or whatever generation it was in 2015). Still remember when I bought it, April 15, 2015. :)

Wife and kids have it on the phone, but only the kids use the front door since my wife and I go through the garage when coming home. I don't have the accessory to be able to lock and unlock it remotely from far away, which I believe it's an additional $75 (I heard that just opens it up to be hacked). It just connects via bluetooth to the phone, so you must be near it to open it. It alerts my wife and I everytime the door is unlocked and by who. I've also issued a virtual key to neighbors when they dog sat for me. I've never run into any issues in the past 5 years.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Curious how many of you still carry standard keys with you. Obviously if you live in an apartment or somewhere that you don't access your house through a garage, you'll still be carrying keys.

In my personal case, I'm awaiting arrival of my SR+ and my front door is smart home + geofenced so it unlocks when I pull into my driveway. I'm pondering making my "Wallet, Keys, Phone" check to just "Wallet, phone" and ditching keys in general.

What do you guys think?

I don't carry any keys at all for my house, or the car (I have the backup Tesla key card in my wallet). I love being keyless.

No keys (excluding the backup Tesla card key in my wallet).

I enter through my garage. I don't want a bluetooth deadbolt either, but the non-bluetooth deadbolts with a keypad are highly resiliant as there's no networking with other devices needed, they warn you well ahead of the battery dying (which is usually more than 1 year), and they still have a physical key backup if you really need it.

To be honest I don't see any advamtage of bluetooth locks that aren't significantly outweighed by short battery life, needing to wire them to your home's electrical supply, or potential security vulnerability.

I love mine. I have the 2nd gen with the Bluetooth puck and I've never had an issue with it. I like being able to check my phone when I'm gone like "did I lock the door?" and if not, I can lock it from wherever in the world I am. Also convenient when friends/family come over or beat me home. I can unlock it so theyre not waiting outside.

I love mine. I have the 2nd gen with the Bluetooth puck and I've never had an issue with it. I like being able to check my phone when I'm gone like "did I lock the door?" and if not, I can lock it from wherever in the world I am. Also convenient when friends/family come over or beat me home. I can unlock it so theyre not waiting outside.

Third gen is even better, more consistent (quicker to respond), and the battery life is over double the 2nd gen. I now go well over a year of battery with the third gen. There's also a new, smaller version of the August lock coming out soon, so I may even upgrade again. I've had all generations of the locks. :D