Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you still carry keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm driving the 3, I've only got one key in my pocket; house key attached to the Model 3 fob.

If I'm driving my wife's Ridgeline or my (daughter's) Murano, there's only the house key attached to those fobs too.

I used to carry a whole bunch of keys back in the day when I had my 323i (both home and work), but since getting the 3, I've kept that keychain inside my laptop case. I don't miss the bulge inside my pocket.

since we're all throwing out smart lock suggestions, i'll add mine: yale real living z-wave touchscreen. been very happy with it in the two years or so we've had it installed.

that being said, back to the original point of the post...no keys for me. enter through garage, or using the keyless entry front door if need be. that being said, it's frustrating sometimes in that our mailboxes are at the end of the street. when i drove my old car, i could always stop on the way home...now i have to remember to take a key with me, or go again later. been meaning to leave a mail key in the car in the center console, but i haven't gotten that far yet.

Third gen is even better, more consistent (quicker to respond), and the battery life is over double the 2nd gen. I now go well over a year of battery with the third gen. There's also a new, smaller version of the August lock coming out soon, so I may even upgrade again. I've had all generations of the locks. :D

On further inspection, it is the 3rd gen that I have! Its a "gen 3 pro" per my best buy records. I've had it 10 months and havent had to change the batteries yet. I love it!

Because I'm a boomer and own pants that are older than most of you I also still carry a few keys. A house key. A key to my storage unit. Oh, and some kind of fob that works with my car. I could probably dispense with all of these, but I've spent decades learning how to NOT lose these few keys, and at this point I'm afraid to stop using that knowledge.

I carry keys, but just for backup purposes. Like lets say you come home and no electricity. Outdoor Keypad won't help you, Garage isn't going to raise for you...
I also got club keys

I've got a key to my house stashed a 5 minute walk away. If someone finds it and manages to find the right door for it, they've worked hard enough to earn some of my stuff.

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
where does your drivers license and Tesla car key go?

I'm not the guy you're asking, but I keep a photocopy of my drivers license in the glovebox in my Law Enforcement Interaction Envelope, which also contains my registration and insurance cards. I still carry a wallet in general but not always.

Maybe I should add a $100 bill to that envelope, now that I think about it.

Because I'm a boomer and own pants that are older than most of you I also still carry a few keys. A house key. A key to my storage unit. Oh, and some kind of fob that works with my car. I could probably dispense with all of these, but I've spent decades learning how to NOT lose these few keys, and at this point I'm afraid to stop using that knowledge.

Definitely agree with you. I’m a boomer too and have spent decades learning how to carry keys with least inconvenience. We also have an ICE car, so gotta carry a key for it too.