Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you took a "Leap of faith"?

Did you take a Leap of Faith?

• Yes

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • No

Votes: 54 65.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voted yes. Reservation in 2009. Could not make it to any of the Get Amped tour for a test drive. I did get a chance to sit in a beta Model S in the Denver store, but decided to vote yes because the interior on that beta (glad we are beyond that stage) made the leap of faith even greater. However, visiting the store was very important for deciding on our interior color and trim.

I would have to vote no, but I think it was a leap of "faith".

We had only seen the first few Roadsters. I knew what I wanted, and rumors had started that there would be a larger Tesla, but no one knew what it would look like.

So, four years before it was ever built, before the clay model, before the engineers had anything concrete other than drawings on a computer, before the factory decision, we walked into the Menlo Park showroom with $40,000 in cash (carried in Milli's purse) and paid for a Sig deposit.

Then, of course, in 2012, there were rides, but I would say we had already committed. The rides did not change anything. I believed in Elon, in the Tesla Team, and I bought stock at $17.

But, I put down no on the survey.

Made our deposit in August of 2009 after hearing radio broadcast that talked about the roadster. Ordered smallest battery so we were at the end of the line for delivery. Have had the Model S for less than 2 months now and loving every minute.

Having a grand time driving it and doing local car shows to "share the love"...

Cheers!

I finally got to see a model S in person! (MY OWN! :D)

9bCWBAal.jpg

No Vote.
I had the test ride in the Roadster four years, one month and 16 days ago. Renee never saw it. I talked about it for a year and it was her that put the $30k down when there were only the two Roadsters being shown around. (both "broken" locked in 2nd gear).

We have been Teslaficionados ever since. :)

I placed my online deposit before seeing a Model S in the flesh. I eventually saw one at a Tesla store and got a test drive, but it only confirmed what I already knew.

^^^This. I didn't vote. Saying no would be correct for data only. I drove a friends after my reservation. I was always getting one. I imagine there will be very few yes answers based on delivery date being the deciding factor.

The day I made my deposit I glimpsed a Model S drive by me in a parking lot. Actually, my wife and I were discussing what color we wanted, and were thinking of brown, so were looking for any brown cars in the lot. This beautiful brown car pulled out in front of us but it took a beat to realize that it was a MS. I finalized the next day. Other than that, I saw one in a parking lot last week, and a row ready for delivery when I picked mine up at Fremont yesterday.

Until delivery I had never sat in one, nor driven one. Best purchase I've made in years. Fits like a dream and drives even better.

Test drove the Roadster in 2008 on the 405 in LA (first time I drove a car in LA...), was amazed, decided to order a tesla with more leg- and headroom when available.
Put down a deposit for the Model S in 2011
Saw the car last year in Norway
Expecting delivery in 6-8 weeks :)

As P912, I put down my deposit over 3 years before I took delivery. I had rarely seen a roadster at that time, let alone a prototype Model S. I knew what the company was capable of, believed in the same vision, and liked what I saw with the prototype descriptions. I took delivery this past January and I can say with 100% honesty that the only car brand I will ever buy again so long as they are in business is Tesla. I am nothing but happy about my decision. If people reading this are worried because they don't live near anyone who owns one, don't worry. Buy the car. It is hands down the best car in the world. Period.

Cheers.

Also not sure how to answer, because while I had SEEN one in late 2012 and chatted with the owner in a parking lot briefly, I had never even touched, much less sat in or driven, one before deposit some months later in April (after much forum reading).

I then decided "Well, if I just plunked down $5,000 for one of these things, I guess I should go drive one!" :wink:

In retrospect it probably wasn't even necessary... but it reaffirmed the decision... and let me see some of the other color samples in person. :smile: