Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I never had a Tesla, but I had one EV and currently one PHEV. I have a deposit on the CyberTruck (late deposit)

Question 1: How many of you will or may transition to the CyberTruck when it's released?
Question 2: What are your expectations for the true final price of the 2-3 difference motor levels of the CT?

Reactions: EXOTIC1
Yeah, I'd imagine the CT will appeal more to non-Tesla owners than most of the existing loyalists. Which is fine - new market opportunity, people who want to seriously offroad, like in-your-face-looks and armor plating. Just about no overlap to existing Tesla product line.

OP, are you asking about any EV transitioning to a Cybertruck, or Model X owners specifically?

My wife has a 2017 Model X. It's fantastic for people moving and long road trips for her and I, and that's primarily what we've used it for. The Cybertruck won't be any better at those jobs, and it will be much harder to park, so we would not switch for that reason. We have never needed a truck.

However, my wife recently retired and we got a trailer - and she wants to travel with it. We have done some trips with the Model X, but the X's hitch setup isn't really the best for towing, and more range is always better when it is cut in half. And we'll want a good charging network, of course. I can't think of a more suitable vehicle than the Cybertruck for that job, so she has a Cybertruck reserved (and no doubt we'll sell the X if/when it arrives). We are assuming, of course, that the hitch receiver will be sturdier and more accessible, and range will be in the range advertised.

The Cybertruck's delivery date is nebulous, and features and pricing are subject to Musk's whims, so we have backup plans - we also have reservations for a Rivian R1T Max Pack and a Chevy Silverado, both of which say they will offer 400-mile trucks. But even if the Cybertruck's top range is 400 miles rather than the "promised" 500, it will still have the better charging network (yes they are opening up Superchargers to other brands - but only 20% of them by the end of 2024) so the Cybertruck will still be the better towing vehicle overall. Especially for us, given that we already are familiar with driving controls, Superchargers, the app, have Tesla chargers, etc. It might not be as much of a slam dunk for someone not already in the Tesla "network". Or anyone not towing.

Yes, the Cybertruck is unattractive. But I try to not let appearance affect my car purchase decisions, and I'm sure the heck not going to let it affect a truck purchase.

My feeling is that there will NOT be any CT until 2 years anyway, lol

Really? With all the production equipment already in place and in testing. With numerous public statements for which they would get in serious trouble, as to investment guidance. With Tesla's now proven track record with building out factories, etc, you seriously don't believe they'll begin producing trucks for more than 2 years?

I'm one of many ex Tesla fans, but, were I a betting man, I'd put a thousand at 10 to 1 odds, that we'll see the first shipments this year.

Let's revisit this around Christmas, shall we?

I'm one of many ex Tesla fans, but, were I a betting man, I'd put a thousand at 10 to 1 odds, that we'll see the first shipments this year.

Let's revisit this around Christmas, shall we?

Sure... they'll have a handful of hand-built CTs by the end of the year, but nowhere near full-tilt production.

Hello,

I never had a Tesla, but I had one EV and currently one PHEV. I have a deposit on the CyberTruck (late deposit)

Question 1: How many of you will or may transition to the CyberTruck when it's released?
Question 2: What are your expectations for the true final price of the 2-3 difference motor levels of the CT?

Still waiting on my CT, but looking forward to this summer when I can slap all the doubters with my giant wiper.

I expect the prices to be higher than expressed at launch 3 years ago, but only modestly so (10-20%). If/when a quad motor is released, however, the sky's the limit!

Still waiting on my CT, but looking forward to this summer when I can slap all the doubters with my giant wiper.

I expect the prices to be higher than expressed at launch 3 years ago, but only modestly so (10-20%). If/when a quad motor is released, however, the sky's the limit!

I just wonder how come the CT will be cheaper than Model X or Model S!. The CT is larger and offers more for the consumer. Perhaps it's just cheaper to build? If so, I would really hope that the original expectation that Dual motor is somewhere between 50K to 70K USD. I would sell my current SUV immediately if that's true. If it gets to 80K+ for the dual motor , I'll pass!!! Not because I have to pass, but because I think that would appear as if it was a trap... there is no way I can give them the benefit of the doubt that it's okay for them to be 30% off or so from their initial numbers despite that it has been couple years since that number was announced (they had already known at that time they need 3-4 years before they could launch it). Let's see.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedOctober
I just wonder how come the CT will be cheaper than Model X or Model S!. The CT is larger and offers more for the consumer. Perhaps it's just cheaper to build? If so, I would really hope that the original expectation that Dual motor is somewhere between 50K to 70K USD. I would sell my current SUV immediately if that's true. If it gets to 80K+ for the dual motor , I'll pass!!! Not because I have to pass, but because I think that would appear as if it was a trap... there is no way I can give them the benefit of the doubt that it's okay for them to be 30% off or so from their initial numbers despite that it has been couple years since that number was announced (they had already known at that time they need 3-4 years before they could launch it). Let's see.

As mass-production rate increases to infinity, the cost of production approaches zero and the total cost of the product is nearly the value of the raw materials. In other words, "economy of scale".

Models S and X are low-volume (shipped 65k combined in 2022) and labor-intensive. The 3 and Y are high-volume (1.3M combined) and thus are cheaper to build on a per-unit basis. Cybertruck is intended to be high-volume.

Of course, the first one built will cost about $3.4B but it will average out lol

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3 and APotatoGod
As long as the finances work out, I'm planning on taking delivery ~2025, when my reservation comes up. I will need to test drive it first, to check visibility from the driver's seat and to make sure that the four-wheel steering makes it less of a beast to drive/park than a standard crew cab pickup truck.

Reactions: TessP100D