Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many owners uses a key fob protector?

Do you use a key fob protector?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all:
Just trying to get some idea of how many owners actually uses the key fob protector, either in the home(coffee can) or on them(little pouch or bag). I got two cars that have those keyless keys and haven't really thought of using one yet. It's definitely easy to use but I'd be seriously pissed if someone steals my car using that hacking method.

Also, I'm not sure where's the protection if I have to take it OUT Of the bag/can to use it to unlock the car everytime, and leave it uncovered inside the car while I'm driving, otherwise it may say key not detected. So someone who wants to steal the key code can still be sitting in the van next to my parked car while I whip it out of the protection bag and steal it, or maybe steal it on the highway while I'm cruising along??

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you are referring to. Almost everyone uses a key fob protector, but all it does is protect the key fob from physical damage, dust and dirt. You do not have to remove it to use it. Your survey question makes no sense to me at all. In reality, I rarely actually "use" my key fob. It just needs to be in my pocket to access the car and drive. I rarely have to touch it.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Perhaps you could elaborate on what you are referring to. Almost everyone uses a key fob protector, but all it does is protect the key fob from physical damage, dust and dirt. You do not have to remove it to use it. Your survey question makes no sense to me at all. In reality, I rarely actually "use" my key fob. It just needs to be in my pocket to access the car and drive. I rarely have to touch it.

He's talking about Faraday pouches to block RFID hacking. I don't use one but I can see why people do.

He's talking about Faraday pouches to block RFID hacking. I don't use one but I can see why people do.

Really... I never heard of those. Honestly that would break so much of the key fob functionality, the fob would be rendered useless. Two-way comms with the key fob are required for it to work. The key fob must be specifically paired with the car for it to work, so I suspect the fob sniffing and replicating are not an issue for the Tesla fob.

Really... I never heard of those. Honestly that would break so much of the key fob functionality, the fob would be rendered useless. Two-way comms with the key fob are required for it to work. The key fob must be specifically paired with the car for it to work, so I suspect the fob sniffing and replicating are not an issue for the Tesla fob.

These thefts are becoming common on Teslas in areas like London. It's only a matter of time before it makes its way across the pond.

Sorry lol, yes I meant the anti hacking protection. If you search google for key fob hacking, lots of article on it. In many years of driving my Jaguar and Maserati it has not occurred to me but it's getting more prevalent and so I started to think about it. I know technically Tesla has one of the best recovery rates in the auto business, but I figure I should think about it before some turd remote relay a car. I also don't know if the insurance company would pay for the theft/damage to it.

I usually leave it in my pocket, wife puts it in her bag and we don't put it in any coffee can at the house so it's constantly exposed. Kinda of concerned with all those cars that can be scanned as target.....

Plenty of articles but here is one ...it’s called a “relay attack”

Should your car keys be wearing a tinfoil hat?

That article describes a generic standard transmit only key fob (my Honda has one of those). That is not how the Tesla works. The Tesla fob also must RECEIVE an encrypted signal transmitted by the car, for any action to take place. The relay attack described would not work on a Tesla. I am looking for an article specific to a Tesla.

Even if that was possible, the intruding party would have to be within a few feet of the car WHILE the car was being accessed, to record the entire transaction. I just don’t think that is reasonably possible, let alone likely. I am not saying it is impossible, but I am saying it is very unlikely to happen within the life of the car or the owner.

Sorry lol, yes I meant the anti hacking protection. If you search google for key fob hacking, lots of article on it. In many years of driving my Jaguar and Maserati it has not occurred to me but it's getting more prevalent and so I started to think about it. I know technically Tesla has one of the best recovery rates in the auto business, but I figure I should think about it before some turd remote relay a car. I also don't know if the insurance company would pay for the theft/damage to it.

I usually leave it in my pocket, wife puts it in her bag and we don't put it in any coffee can at the house so it's constantly exposed. Kinda of concerned with all those cars that can be scanned as target.....

Old article but u get the idea

Teslas are hard to steal

Please provide a reference URL to an article or news report. Short of someone leaving their fob inside the car (valet or carelessness), I don’t believe it is possible.

If you are on the Model X Owner's Facebook page one of the members there posted a video from their Ring doorbell showing someone walking up to the front of their house in London (with what looked like a Model S in the driveway) with one of these devices and was basically waving it along the walls trying to capture a signal.