Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many PCS have failed?

Has your battery's Power Conversion System (PCS) failed?

• Yes, I can only charge at 32A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and Tesla replaced it under the HV Battery Warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are now numerous threads in this forum about the battery's PCS in the HV Battery Service Panel breaking down. In the dispute I have filed with Tesla awaiting AAA mediation, it would be helpful to have a rough estimate on how many forum members have experienced this problem. If you are one of these owners, please respond to this poll. Also, I would like to ask those owners to please take the time to report the issue to the NHTSA, as I have already done, so that Tesla will need to fix the problem for all owners who encounter it —not just me.
Where did you end up? I just had mine fixed and they won’t cover it under warranty.

So my 2018 model 3 has 84,000 miles on it. The past few weeks, every time I use a ChargePoint charger or my home charger I get a ‘power grid’ issue warning. Well - as many of us have found out - this is a PCS system error and I have had it replaced. Tesla won’t cover it under HV battery warranty. $1540 after tax and labor in NJ at Springfield service center.

The service center manager is supposed to call me to discuss but I’ve got no hope it’s going anywhere.

Also - I got this ‘power grid’ warning a while ago and I literally thought nothing of it. So the warning is misleading.

Hopefully sharing this info will help anyone who’s still under the 50,000 mile warranty.

So my 2018 Model 3 has been charging fine (at 32A) with only 2 working PCS modules.

This weekend, it will no longer charge on AC at all. I have tried:
* Mobile charger on 240V circuit
* Mobile charger on 110V circuit
* Public Volta J1772 charger with Tesla adapter

In all cases, power fluctuates from a high positive number to 0 and then back again endlessly. The result is zero miles added to the car.
Of course, supercharger works fine and is now the only way for me to charge.

If another PCS went out, I would have expected to still be able to charge at 16A.
Do you think BOTH remaining PCS modules bit the dust at the same time ? Or is the car just having problems using the one remaining good module ?

Got a Service Center appt for 11/20

how did this go?

my 2018 LR RWD 3 has PCS error too. I’ve been charging at 24A and didn’t notice it until I got the wall connector installed this month. Maxes out at 32A. We are expected to pay for it out of pocket after the 4 year limited warranty?

my 2018 LR RWD 3 has PCS error too. I’ve been charging at 24A and didn’t notice it until I got the wall connector installed this month. Maxes out at 32A. We are expected to pay for it out of pocket after the 4 year limited warranty?

Are you sure a 2018 LR RWD maxes out at 48amp charging? I dont know, i am just asking. There are not a ton of those around, comparatively speaking.

We are expected to pay for it out of pocket after the 4 year limited warranty?

If its the PCS, currently, yes. Including someone who already went to arbitration and lost. Of course you could try to take them to arbitration yourself, but the precedent is Tesla doesnt cover it as part of the battery, and has won an arbitration judgement already on this exact topic:

Are you sure a 2018 LR RWD maxes out at 48amp charging? I dont know, i am just asking. There are not a ton of those around, comparatively speaking.

Yup, there were destination chargers where I used to charge at 48A with my LR RWD 3. Not sure at what point mine failed since my charging rate as home (before wall connector) was 24A.

Thanks,
Jason

My early 2018 M3 LR RWD is now charging at 32 A on 48 A wall connectors. I tried two wall connectors at a Tesla service center, both with the same result, including a PCS_a019 "Power grid or vehicle issue limiting AC charging."

My car was born on 2/1/2018 and definitely has a 48 A charger, which I have used a few times at hotels on road trips. At home I charged at 16 A for several years, but I dropped that to 15 A one or two years ago. My goal was to extend the PCS life, after I realized it had three 16 A circuits and I was running one at its full rating. I do believe that running less than max rating can extend the life of power electronics, by keeping the heat, and the effects of thermal expansion and contraction, down.

Now I have to decide: Replace the PCS when I take the car in for its 6 year service in February, or eke out more life from my original PCS until a second module fails. I don't need more than 32 A charging, but I don't want a sudden failure to disable AC charging completely or shut the car down for some reason.

GSP

My early 2018 M3 LR RWD is now charging at 32 A on 48 A wall connectors. I tried two wall connectors at a Tesla service center, both with the same result, including a PCS_a019 "Power grid or vehicle issue limiting AC charging."
@gearchruncher it sounds like they have improved the verbiage of the error message... It at least indicates it can be a vehicle issue now.

Reactions: GSP

My car was born on 2/1/2018 and definitely has a 48 A charger, which I have used a few times at hotels on road trips. At home I charged at 16 A for several years, but I dropped that to 15 A one or two years ago. My goal was to extend the PCS life, after I realized it had three 16 A circuits and I was running one at its full rating. I do believe that running less than max rating can extend the life of power electronics, by keeping the heat, and the effects of thermal expansion and contraction, down.

Now I have to decide: Replace the PCS when I take the car in for its 6 year service in February, or eke out more life from my original PCS until a second module fails. I don't need more than 32 A charging, but I don't want a sudden failure to disable AC charging completely or shut the car down for some reason.

GSP
In your shoes, I'd probably start charging the car at a minimum of 17a. That way, you'll be running both modules at near half capacity, and if another one goes out, you'll hopefully notice that charging is suddenly limited to 16a, and have time to get it replaced before the last module dies.

In the same camp as above. Charging @32 amps. Got the warning prior. Have sometimes 3 cars charging at once it is not really an issue.

I found out about while in for service. They had dropped the battery to replace my rusted out brake lines. The rusted out ones where my kid almost ran into another car as it blew out while driving.

In the same camp as above. Charging @32 amps. Got the warning prior. Have sometimes 3 cars charging at once it is not really an issue.

I found out about while in for service. They had dropped the battery to replace my rusted out brake lines. The rusted out ones where my kid almost ran into another car as it blew out while driving.
That's scary. No car that is a maximum of ~6 years old (earliest of the Model 3s) should be having its brake lines rust out.

Reactions: outdoors
Welp, just happened to me on a 2019 3 with around 50,000 miles.

Got a notification on my phone that the 12v needed replacing, and when I went out to my car, it was completely dead. Had it towed to an SC, and after a bunch of troubleshooting, it turns out it was the PCS causing the 12v battery to drain. $2,100 repair. Not too happy about it.

I only charge on a 30A breaker (so 24A total) at home, so I'm not sure if I ever had reduced charging.

Got a notification on my phone that the 12v needed replacing, and when I went out to my car, it was completely dead. Had it towed to an SC, and after a bunch of troubleshooting, it turns out it was the PCS causing the 12v battery to drain. $2,100 repair. Not too happy about it.

I only charge on a 30A breaker (so 24A total) at home, so I'm not sure if I ever had reduced charging.
That is a different failure than this thread is about. (Which is only about the AC charging portion of the PCS failing. Even with all three AC charging modules failed you can still Supercharge and it still maintains the 12v battery.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H