Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many PCS have failed?

Has your battery's Power Conversion System (PCS) failed?

• Yes, I can only charge at 32A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and Tesla replaced it under the HV Battery Warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my Model 3 Power Conversion System replaced as it started going below 16A. It cost me $1,700 to replace. I have 49K on my M3. My Model S with 80K never had any issues. I asked why it failed so soon. Service Center's answer was "it is due to wear and tear as enormous amount of current flowing through it so it is under quite a bit of stress/load."

I still think this part should really last as long as the battery. I am interested to see how arbitration progresses also. I also tweeted to @Tesla and included @elonmusk. Who knows, we may get a bit more attention.

I agree that the PCS should last the life of the battery or at least 120k miles. I would compare this repair to being the equivalent of replacing the timing belt of a combustion engine (though it costs roughly twice the price). For this to fail at 33K miles (in my case) definitely implies a significant design flaw. It's odd they would say the reason for the failure was due to "enormous amount of current flowing through it". Weren't older Model S and X capable of charging at 80amps. They don't seem to be failing.

I'm the second owner of my Tesla (2018 now w/ 34K miles), purchased through an independent dealer, without an extended general warranty. Do I still have the right to arbitrate with Tesla regarding my failing PCS? The battery and drive unit warranty transfers to the new owners no matter who sells the car, correct? There is the question of how the car was previously cared for and of course Tesla will not divulge the prior service history to me. The Car Fax is clean and to the best of my knowledge the car was well cared for. It's perfect!, except for the PCS. To be honest I'm not sure when my PCS started failing. It could have been with the previous owner and before the expiration of the general warranty. Who know how many people are experiencing this same issue since a lot of owner don't charge above 32 amps or who are not paying attention. I only recently discovered when installing a 48 amp capable wall connector. Anyway, I'm building my case and trying to cover all the details. I appreciate your help.

Reactions: Yanquetino
I just checked my charging status after I replaced PCS. My new PCS immediately reaches 31 miles of charge/hour. My car when it was new didn't get 31 miles of charge/hour. It also did an ampere dance for a minute or two before it decided at what level to charge. I am convinced this unit was not at its best when it was new.... It is hard to tell when it actually started failing since you only get the message if you are looking at the screen about a minute or two after charging starts. In my case, I never do that. Even at slower charge rate, car always was done charging by morning so there would not be any indication that something was not right.

I am convinced my M3's PCS failed long time before I noticed it.

I also asked the service center to let me have the old PCS. Not sure if there is anyone who can examine the PCS for defect. But, I have the failed part if someone know a person who can examine it.

Reactions: Yanquetino
"it is due to wear and tear as enormous amount of current flowing through it so it is under quite a bit of stress/load."
Yeah, I mean this is a massively stupid excuse, but consistent with Tesla. This is like saying a water pump failed because of the "enormous amounts of water that went through it." That's kind of its job, you know?

They clearly have a design flaw that makes them fail prematurely or in higher numbers than would otherwise be expected. I'd hope that newer revisions of the part addresses some of the weak spots. Whether or not that means it should be covered under the HV battery warranty is a different discussion, and one it seems we'll have some authoritative input on soon enough.

Last edited:
I just had my Model 3 Power Conversion System replaced as it started going below 16A. It cost me $1,700 to replace. I have 49K on my M3. My Model S with 80K never had any issues. I asked why it failed so soon. Service Center's answer was "it is due to wear and tear as enormous amount of current flowing through it so it is under quite a bit of stress/load."

I still think this part should really last as long as the battery. I am interested to see how arbitration progresses also. I also tweeted to @Tesla and included @elonmusk. Who knows, we may get a bit more attention.
Absolutely agree! I'll see if the arbitrator agrees also. I have a preliminary online meeting with AAA this Friday.

Reactions: phishphan
Have you had your preliminary meeting yet? If so, what did you learn? What's next?

Didn't learn much. The Tesla lawyer wanted a "documentary" hearing. I didn't see any point in insisting on a "video" hearing, so I conceded to that option. The arbitrator now wants me to submit an arbitration "brief" with whatever evidence I feel is relevant. Then Tesla's lawyer will submit a brief in response to mine. Then I can respond to Tesla's response. It looks like, according to the arbitrator's proposed schedule, he won't issue a decision until… December 15, for cryin' out loud. Kinda makes me think it would have be quicker and easier (but more expensive) to go to small claims court instead. Sigh….

I just got my car 2 days ago and my car suddenly went offline and won’t open via keycard or app. They towed it in the shop and I was told they changed out my PCS . I’m reading from posts this happened to ppl 3-5 yrs in. My car is brand new…
Hi all,
Recieved our brand new MYLR on Weds 21st Sept at lunch - and it died overnight, same symptoms as above. Didn't even own it 18 hours. Dropped offline, totally dead. Eventually recovered on the Friday to local service centre, no loan car till the Tuesday, still no MYLR back. Confirmed Tuesday it's the PCS. This is in the UK btw. So unbelievably frustrating - and no feedback from customer support. Ruined the whole new car experience, and we still don't know when we can have it.

Hi all,
Recieved our brand new MYLR on Weds 21st Sept at lunch - and it died overnight, same symptoms as above. Didn't even own it 18 hours. Dropped offline, totally dead. Eventually recovered on the Friday to local service centre, no loan car till the Tuesday, still no MYLR back. Confirmed Tuesday it's the PCS. This is in the UK btw. So unbelievably frustrating - and no feedback from customer support. Ruined the whole new car experience, and we still don't know when we can have it.
Ugh…! So sorry to hear that. So Tesla is still installing faulty PCS in its vehicles…!?! I would have thought they'd come up with a more robust, durable, reliable PCS by now. Tsk.

Hi all,
It deeply soured our experience as well though at least you didn’t have to go through the gaslighting we did. That being said, we haven’t had an issue since the PCS was replaced and have put over 2K miles on it since then including a road trip using super chargers.

Hi all!

Thank you for your support in previous question.
Model 3 2018 w/ failed PCS limited to 16/48a charging speeds.

The service center is quoting me $1600 for the replacement. Have you all been able to have this covered under warranty? If so, is there anything I need to do to have this covered?

Do you all have any suggestions for alternative replacement methods of PCs? Or is using a Tesla device center the only option?

Thanks!

Reactions: phishphan
Hi all!

The service center is quoting me $1600 for the replacement. Have you all been able to have this covered under warranty? If so, is there anything I need to do to have this covered?

Do you all have any suggestions for alternative replacement methods of PCs? Or is using a Tesla device center the only option?

Thanks!
Same here 1700 and the customer rep doesn’t budge…they keep pushing back saying its not part of battery system. I am ignoring it for now.. really dont want to pay that much for an issue that is absolutely no fault of mine

Hi all!

Thanks!
It will be covered if you are under general parts warranty. Apparently doesnt come under batter warranty

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H