Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many PCS have failed?

Has your battery's Power Conversion System (PCS) failed?

• Yes, I can only charge at 32A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and Tesla replaced it under the HV Battery Warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5 day old 2023 Model 3 with 91 miles on the odometer. Totally dead and undriveable, diagnosed as PCS failure, now awaiting repair.

Lemon law in CA 2x attempts to repair a “dangerous” issue, or 4x for other issues. Not sure if this constitutes a dangerous issue or not. And given that the car has no USS and no timeline for regaining the functionality of my 2019, I’m not sure if I’m rooting for Lemon law or not.

5 day old 2023 Model 3 with 91 miles on the odometer. Totally dead and undriveable, diagnosed as PCS failure, now awaiting repair.

Lemon law in CA 2x attempts to repair a “dangerous” issue, or 4x for other issues. Not sure if this constitutes a dangerous issue or not. And given that the car has no USS and no timeline for regaining the functionality of my 2019, I’m not sure if I’m rooting for Lemon law or not.
It would be a pretty big stretch to call a PCS failure a safety issue.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just came across this thread. I had the PCS in my 2018 Model 3 with 81,000 miles replaced in August 2022 as it would not charge at over 32 amps even though my wall charger was capabile of 48 amps. I had been getting the message that the problem was with the power grid since before the general warranty expired not realizing the problem with with the PCS and not with the grid or wall charger. Only determined the real problem after trying several different wall chargers capable of charging with 48 amps and getting the same message. Cost for replacement was $1717.70 and the service bulletin that applied to my VIN was dismissed by the service center since my car was out of warranty.

I know that many forum members in this thread have been waiting to hear the outcome of my arbitration dispute with Tesla over our PCS breakdowns. I tried posting about that decision, but a moderator removed it for lack of more information, so… I will try again here.

I can report that yesterday I finally received notification that the arbitrator decided for Tesla —not for me. More specifically, the arbitrator agreed with Tesla that the components in the High Voltage Battery Service Panel are separate from the High Voltage Battery and Drive Unit powertrain, and thus not covered under the latter's warranty.

If forum members would care to read my reaction to the arbitrator's decision, they are welcome to open this post on my website.

A predictable outcome consistent with their longstanding policy since the earliest Model S rolled off the line. I was always skeptical of the “it should be covered because of where the part physically sits” argument, but you already know that.

Interesting and encouraging to see other manufacturers covering more charging-related components in the battery warranty. Maybe Tesla will have to follow suit at some point of their own volition to remain competitive.

Reactions: Yanquetino
I know that many forum members in this thread have been waiting to hear the outcome of my arbitration dispute with Tesla over our PCS breakdowns. I tried posting about that decision, but a moderator removed it for lack of more information, so… I will try again here.

I can report that yesterday I finally received notification that the arbitrator decided for Tesla —not for me. More specifically, the arbitrator agreed with Tesla that the components in the High Voltage Battery Service Panel are separate from the High Voltage Battery and Drive Unit powertrain, and thus not covered under the latter's warranty.

If forum members would care to read my reaction to the arbitrator's decision, they are welcome to open this post on my website.

I think you are right, and a lot of people are likely interested in this. If you want to start another thread with the title of something like "Arbitrator rules that PCS is not part of HV warranty" and copy this
exact post you made here it would be fine. In fact I would encourage you to do so. Formatted like this, it would be more than fine.
===================

(moderator note)

Took above action mentioned.

Last edited:
I think you are right, and a lot of people are likely interested in this. If you want to start another thread with the title of something like "Arbitrator rules that PCS is not part of HV warranty" and copy this
exact post you made here it would be fine. In fact I would encourage you to do so. Formatted like this, it would be more than fine.
===================

(moderator note)

Took above action mentioned.

Done!

This is pretty fascinating. Now I'm a little worried. Not a lot worried, mind you, my car is still well under the basic warranty coverage, but still. A few days ago it just didn't want to charge at anything more than 8A. Not even 16A. Cycled it a few times, rebooted, it finally said it would charge at 32A.

This is pretty fascinating. Now I'm a little worried. Not a lot worried, mind you, my car is still well under the basic warranty coverage, but still. A few days ago it just didn't want to charge at anything more than 8A. Not even 16A. Cycled it a few times, rebooted, it finally said it would charge at 32A.
The main thing to take from this is that you've GOT to test charging above 32a (or above 16a if you have an SR/RWD) during the warranty period. Especially as you near the end of it. Tesla will not detect the fault, (or maybe just not tell you about it) even if you take it in for maintenance checks.

The behavior you're describing sounds more like a bad connection, maybe because of freezing, than a failing PCS....however, you should keep an eye on it.

The main thing to take from this is that you've GOT to test charging above 32a (or above 16a if you have an SR/RWD) during the warranty period. Especially as you near the end of it. Tesla will not detect the fault, (or maybe just not tell you about it) even if you take it in for maintenance checks.

The behavior you're describing sounds more like a bad connection, maybe because of freezing, than a failing PCS....however, you should keep an eye on it.
Yeah, I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe just dirt in the connector or something. It was in my garage, way above freezing.

Anybody now can check Service Mode for any hidden alerts or errors. To get into Service Mode, go into the vehicle controls (press the car icon), Software, tap and hold on your car model (i.e. Model 3 Long Range), type "service" in the box that comes up and tap OK.

Go to alerts and see if there are any related to charging.

To exit Service Mode make sure to tap on Exit Service Mode button

There are now numerous threads in this forum about the battery's PCS in the HV Battery Service Panel breaking down. In the dispute I have filed with Tesla awaiting AAA mediation, it would be helpful to have a rough estimate on how many forum members have experienced this problem. If you are one of these owners, please respond to this poll. Also, I would like to ask those owners to please take the time to report the issue to the NHTSA, as I have already done, so that Tesla will need to fix the problem for all owners who encounter it —not just me.
I am facing the same problem now. Tesla is asking 1800 dollars for repair

Add my 2018 to the list. It's been showing the "power grid" & related errors for years, well before the basic warranty expired. Service checked it out a couple times without mentioning the PCS. I even did the before end of warranty service, which turned up nothing. Now that I'm down to 16A charging, I finally know why.

• Informative
Add my 2018 to the list. It's been showing the "power grid" & related errors for years, well before the basic warranty expired. Service checked it out a couple times without mentioning the PCS. I even did the before end of warranty service, which turned up nothing. Now that I'm down to 16A charging, I finally know why.
If you reported the errors before the warranty expired, especially if you have documentation, I'd think you might have a case worthy of arbitration. I'd start with scheduling another service call asking for this to be covered under warranty.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I’m going to give it a shot. One mistake I made over the years was taking photos from within the Tesla app, which doesn’t save them to your phone. And I didn’t originally save screenshots of service chats within the app, so I have less documentation than I would like.