Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many PCS have failed?

Has your battery's Power Conversion System (PCS) failed?

• Yes, I can only charge at 32A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and Tesla replaced it under the HV Battery Warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are now numerous threads in this forum about the battery's PCS in the HV Battery Service Panel breaking down. In the dispute I have filed with Tesla awaiting AAA mediation, it would be helpful to have a rough estimate on how many forum members have experienced this problem. If you are one of these owners, please respond to this poll. Also, I would like to ask those owners to please take the time to report the issue to the NHTSA, as I have already done, so that Tesla will need to fix the problem for all owners who encounter it —not just me.

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt
I have just paid over $1800 for this repair. Car has 64k miles so it was done as out of warranty. They did replace computer and charging harness under warranty before it expired. Plastic around charging pins has now been replaced 4 times. Also,had left front fender camera replaced (not warranty) since I was getting that it was blinded or blocked many times while driving at night. I asked about checking logs and was told they would need a time stamp. In a message I asked if there could be a problem with electrical system that could be causing some of these failures. No reply to that. Consumer Reports sent us an annual survey on vehicle issues. I detailed my problems and via service message let Tesla know I gave permission to publish. I used to recommend Tesla but am now reconsidering.

There are now numerous threads in this forum about the battery's PCS in the HV Battery Service Panel breaking down. In the dispute I have filed with Tesla awaiting AAA mediation, it would be helpful to have a rough estimate on how many forum members have experienced this problem. If you are one of these owners, please respond to this poll. Also, I would like to ask those owners to please take the time to report the issue to the NHTSA, as I have already done, so that Tesla will need to fix the problem for all owners who encounter it —not just me.
I read details on what you have documented. I took possession of my car late September 2018. Since the service bulletin is vague on vehicles covered they may extend beyond the implied limits. I also got the warning that power grid was a problem. I confirmed the car was the problem by using Tesla home style connectors at a hotel during a trip. To report to NHTSA can we attach our information to your documents or have to file our own? The things you experienced are the same as my issues. When the car was originally taken in for this repair it was supposed to be done the next afternoon. Shortly before the estimated time we were sent a text. The allocated PCS was the wrong one and the correct part had been ordered with up to a 2 week wait. We were given the choice of taking a loaner or my car back until the part arrived. Opted for loaner which my wife used since I was working more than 200 miles from home that week. Loaner was not available before the part error. Tesla had the car for 11 days total.

Reactions: Yanquetino
There are now numerous threads in this forum about the battery's PCS in the HV Battery Service Panel breaking down

I am aware of 1 thread, but would be curious to understand where the "numerous" threads are in the model 3 subforum on this topic. Perhaps its more than the one thread I am aware of that you have posted in?

To report to NHTSA can we attach our information to your documents or have to file our own? The things you experienced are the same as my issues.
I would think you would want to describe what is happening with your car, but feel free to provide a link to my description as well. There is no doubt that this is a growing problem for cars 3, 4, 5 years old. It seems obvious to me that the electronics in the HV Battery Service Panel are, indeed, part of the battery system, and should be covered under the battery warranty —which is why I have filed for mediation. If I lose? Well, hell… I'll have to pay the hefty price of the repair, but I will certainly let other owners about these breakdowns!

Read my post on the issue, and you'll find links to numerous threads about 2/3rds of the way down. Hope this helps.

I did look at the website you created and linked to. I am not a member of "Tesla owners online" so I did not go look at those (and they do not meet the description of "numerous threads in this forum". I did see one other thread you linked here beside the one we are talking about, though.

Anyway, good luck with your NHTSA complaint / action. Curious to see how this turns out.

I did look at the website you created and linked to. I am not a member of "Tesla owners online" so I did not go look at those (and they do not meet the description of "numerous threads in this forum". I did see one other thread you linked here beside the one we are talking about, though.

Anyway, good luck with your NHTSA complaint / action. Curious to see how this turns out.
Ah… well, yes, for accuracy I should have said numerous threads in TESLA forums. Two of those I link to are here:

The others are posted in the Tesla Owners Online forum. I might be wrong, but I think you can open them without being a member…? Hmmm. Maybe not.

At any rate, in each thread you'll find posts by different owners who have experienced the problem.

I'm experiencing the PCS issue, it intermittently fails and then ends up charging at 16A. I took delivery in Oct. 2018 and have 60+k miles so I'm out of warranty. I've declined the $1,700 + taxes repair for now.
I'm sorry to hear you're one of us experiencing this breakdown. I sure hope that my arbitration complaint will secure a solution for everyone, even though Tesla is still dragging its feet to take a seat at the table.

We’ll probably be joining the failed PCS club. June 2018 LR 3 build w/ < 25k miles, almost all charging @ home via mobile charger @ 240v / 24a (30a circuit). Tonight got dreaded PCS_a019 error for all attempts to charge > 16a. Will report then visit my local known/good destination charger to confirm.

About 1 week left on Basic Warranty so whew! Looks like I’ve lost 2 out of the 3 A/C charge converters in the PCS. Tesla, well make that many Tesla owners, have a problem here.

Last edited:
We’ll probably be joining the failed PCS club. June 2018 LR 3 build w/ < 25k miles, almost all charging @ home via mobile charger @ 240v / 24a (30a circuit). Tonight got dreaded PCS_a019 error for all attempts to charge > 16a.

About 1 week left on Basic Warranty so whew! Looks like I’ve lost 2 out of the 3 A/C charge converters in the PCS. Tesla, well make that many Tesla owners, have a problem here.
I'm so sorry! It really is a growing problem for owners after 3, 4, 5 years or ownership. You are fortunate to still have one week left under the Basic Warranty, but I still maintain the HV Battery Warranty should cover the components in the HV Battery Service Panel. What good is a battery if you can no longer charge it?

Reactions: cfcubed and MP3Mike
After several failed attempts to get a Service Request Appointment - Submit button to show on iPhone and/or iPad running iOS 15.5, used an old Android Samsung Note with identical appointment info and got Submit button & request immediately.

Anyway service center responded quickly and confirmed I am part the Failed PCS club.

Yanquetino, you seem to be quite involved with this…. Do you think something like PSA - Confirm your Model 3’s max AC/non-Supercharging charge rate/amps post would be beneficial?

Doing so earlier for my 2018 LR may have detected the 1st sign of AC charge converter failure…. IOW when the 1st of the 3 we have in LRs failed. And the 1st of the 2 MRs have. If I/we have the tech right.
Especially helpful for those whose service centers do not cover this via battery warranty as mine apparently will (see attachment).

Attachments

• 3EEFE172-717F-421A-A1A9-8E0332D2CA23.jpeg
    3EEFE172-717F-421A-A1A9-8E0332D2CA23.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 874
Reactions: Yanquetino
After several failed attempts to get a Service Request Appointment - Submit button to show on iPhone and/or iPad running iOS 15.5, used an old Android Samsung Note with identical appointment info and got Submit button & request immediately.

Anyway service center responded quickly and confirmed I am part the Failed PCS club.

Yanquetino, you seem to be quite involved with this…. Do you think something like PSA - Confirm your Model 3’s max AC/non-Supercharging charge rate/amps post would be beneficial?

Doing so earlier for my 2018 LR may have detected the 1st sign of AC charge converter failure…. IOW when the 1st of the 3 we have in LRs failed. And the 1st of the 2 MRs have. If I/we have the tech right.
Especially helpful for those whose service centers do not cover this via battery warranty as mine apparently will (see attachment).

Thanks for the update on your failed PCS! Maybe I'll take your suggestion and inquire about maximum AC charging amps in another post. What is most helpful is that you posted this portion of your invoice showing that Tesla replaced your PCS under the battery warranty —not the general warranty. When and if I finally meet in arbitration with Tesla, such invoices can help bolster my position, and I really appreciate it. Yesterday AAA told me that they had assigned an arbitrator, but the person had declined (who knows why?), so they are in the process of designating another. I sure hope to get this settled soon!

Unfortunately I can join this club now.
I'm so sorry to "welcome" you to this "club." Tesla has a real problem with these breakdowns, and needs to step up to the plate and cover them under the HV Battery Warranty. Your post reminds me to send yet another message to AAA to inquire why the meeting with an arbitrator has yet to be scheduled. I confess: it's irritating that Tesla insists on mediation for such problems in its Purchase Agreement, but then prolongs and delays the process like this. Makes me wonder if that's intentional, with the hope that the customer will just give up and drop the dispute. :mad:

Reactions: phishphan
I'm so sorry to "welcome" you to this "club." Tesla has a real problem with these breakdowns, and needs to step up to the plate and cover them under the HV Battery Warranty. Your post reminds me to send yet another message to AAA to inquire why the meeting with an arbitrator has yet to be scheduled. I confess: it's irritating that Tesla insists on mediation for such problems in its Purchase Agreement, but then prolongs and delays the process like this. Makes me wonder if that's intentional, with the hope that the customer will just give up and drop the dispute. :mad:
I just noticed you’re a fellow Utahn down south. Do they let you at least go to the Vegas SC?

Also, just got back from getting the car. I was worried it was going to take a few weeks.