Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people actually test drove before buying?

Did you test drive before you purchased a Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this may sound crazy but how many people actually purchased their Model X without test driving it?

I should have test drove it, but watching every singles video and my general obsession made me feel like I knew every inch and I ordered one without ever driving one. I know that's ridiculously silly considering the price, but oh well.. it's too late. Anyone else?

While not specifically answering your question, a few hundred thousand folks ordered their Model 3 before test driving.

I believe that it is actually more important to sit in a car than to test drive it. For most folks, the test drive cloud their minds as to what the remainder of the car is about.

Reactions: Jimmy T
Yup! Of course I did! It's a $100K car! :p;)

But seriously, the fit for me was a primary reason to go with the X but getting a feel for how it works and how it handles on the road was almost as important. Was floored by the comfort and then just knocked out by the feel of it on the road.

The offer to let us take the car for 24 hours to get a more comprehensive experience was the icing on the cake.

Of course I did. In fact, I test drove, then test drove some “competition” like an SQ7, before hands-down deciding on the X.

That said, I’m even renting an X for the next 2.5 weeks for my road trip to Denmark so that I can be really certain. If I decide that the road trip is a miserable experience and I can’t possibly see doing it again, then I have the option to get out for “just” 4000 bucks lost, rather than taking delivery and taking a 30% depreciation hit when I sell it a month later. But I don’t expect that - we’re just cautious out here in these parts. ;)

I waited until I could test drive an X before ordering, because I knew I could save a bunch of money and get the car much faster by buying a CPO S.

I decided the four month wait and ~$30k extra were worth it to me for the windshield and headroom towing capacity (still haven't used that) and easier entry and the rest.

I know this may sound crazy but how many people actually purchased their Model X without test driving it?

I should have test drove it, but watching every singles video and my general obsession made me feel like I knew every inch and I ordered one without ever driving one. I know that's ridiculously silly considering the price, but oh well.. it's too late. Anyone else?

I presume you at least sat in one in the showroom?

We actually had 3 test drives, but had already ordered one after the second test drive. Also drove a Volvo XC90 T8 as a comparison (wasn't in the same league overall). The third test was a weekend loaner that our local dealer offered while we waited for delivery of our new car. You will almost certainly love driving it, most complaints you read about are concerning quality issues. Rarely, if ever, does anyone dislike the actual driving experience! Luckily ours is built pretty well and has been totally reliable over the first 8k miles. No regrets here.

I went to the showroom to hopefully sit in a Model 3 that I had pre-ordered. Had some 3's in the service bay here in Portland, but none to sit in. Bummer.

They did have an S and an X on the floor. Very friendly sales gal said feel free to sit in and play with the cars. I sat in the S and decided it was way too much like my Corvette: I'm 6'1 235 lbs and that plop down into the S was not for me. I'm done with cars that are hard to get in and out.

Then I hopped in the X. Shear heaven. Super comfortable seats, Easy in/out. Great visibility.

Not sold yet though. $100+K. Ouch. We've owned multiple SUVs and we both swore off the rough ride. So there was no way I was going to buy an X without a test drive: I scheduled one for the next day.

I asked sales gal to take us on roughest roads she could dream up. She was VERY accommodating and we went on some terribly rough sidestreets. I was so impressed by the air ride of the X that I knew that was the car I was going to buy. Switched our Model 3 reservation to an X purchase.

My X now in production, so I'm hoping delivery in a couple weeks...

Even though we've had an S P85 since early 2013 and an S 100D since March 2017, we didn't order our X 100D until after we were able to take an overnight test drive.

We wanted extra time to evaluate the falcon wing doors - and how they worked inside our 2 car garage. We also determined the first X feature we would turn off was the auto-opening doors - inconvenient when trying to get into the other vehicle in a 2 car garage... We also took time to evaluate sitting in each of the seat locations to confirm for ourselves it would be reasonable with 7 adults.

We also verified how large the storage was with the rear row up and down - and tested loading the items we typically take on road trips. In the S, the rear of the trunk area is wide enough to place two sets of golf clubs. The rear of the Model X (and 3) aren't as wide (which is surprising on the X), so instead of laying golf clubs sideways, they have to be stored front-to-back - with just barely enough room to do that in the X with the rear seats folded down.

It is a ~$100K purchase, and would highly recommend an overnight test drive, if you can get it - and make sure the X is going to work for you.

I did not do a test drive.

It was New Year's Eve 2016 and I needed a tax writeoff. Store closes at 7PM and it was raining. I had just done an Audi and Porsche test drive when my BIL told me that he just bought an X 10 days prior, that free supercharging was ending. I called the Tesla store and the Owner Advisor said he'd stay for me past 7PM even though he had a party to go to. We made it to the store at 7:30PM and placed an order within 2 minutes of looking at the X for the first time. No regrets! Best car ever!

I was able to sit in one of the first cars plus EMs at the reveal for a few minutes but there were no test drive vehicles. That was enough for me to be able to determine it was the right car. Compared sitting in an S and later a 3 and am even more convinced the MX is the right car for me by far.

We test drove. Went in at 1030 or so. Talked to the people. Climbed in and out of the S and X a few times. Decided the X felt better and took it for a test drive. Came back and ordered online in the showroom working with the rep. Done before noon. One of the easiest car buying experiences every. No hard sell. No talking to the "boss" or "finance".

• Love
Reactions: Jimmy T and posity
Pre-ordered the 3, day one. Went in to just look at S/X. Test drove X. VERY impressed. Then sat in the S. Felt cramped. :eek: Then what would the 3 feel like? Ordered the X. :D

As a tall person, I actually thought the 3 I sat in felt roomier than the S (it's smaller, of course, but it seemed to me like there's more height for a driver in it.)

But no car will ever beat the X for perceptual headroom, and the actual physical headroom is pretty good, too.