Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people actually test drove before buying?

Did you test drive before you purchased a Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had reserved years before, but was lucky enough to go to the reveal. I was able to ride in the X there, but not drive. Very short ride, but that made me comfortable in ordering before test drives were available.

Reactions: Jimmy T
Never test drove, never even sat in one.

I did have a chance to get a factory tour befoer ordered but that was coincidence, but definitely made me want one more.

Ours was delivered on Saturday and it was the first time either of us had driven or sat in a Tesla of any kind. We do have another electric car, so not unfamiliar with regen braking, charging systems etc.

No regrets.

Reactions: P85_DA and Jimmy T
Took a test drive while I was shopping for a BMW i8 because I was debating whether I needed to keep an SUV for the occasional Lowe's or IKEA trip (came from a BMW X6M). Once I was seriously considering the X, I got an extended 48hr test drive to make the final decision.

For the Model 3, I reserved but met up with a local owner so my wife could sit in and look at the Model 3. He offered to let us drive, but neither my wife nor I felt comfortable driving somebody else's car that (at the time) couldn't be replaced if something bad happened. I configured once I was convinced she wouldn't be bothered by everything being on the center screen.

I think it depends on the type of driver. I absolutely fell in love with the looks of the BMW i8, but I still wouldn't have bought one without driving it. The Model X gave me most of the handling from my X6M, all of the cargo capacity, a little more power and that EV oomph off the line. It's not as nice to look at as the i8 would have been, but I think I made the right choice.

Did not test drive, had never gotten inside of one. I just knew i'd fall in love with it. I was going for a used 2017, but for aprox 20k difference I figured, I'm almost 50, never bought a new car in my life, so I went YOLO. It helped that I made a nice profit on some bitcoin holding, which I used for a big downpayment...

Reactions: Jimmy T and KerryOH
Due to accessibility, there is no reason NOT to take a test drive. Superfan or not.

Tesla’s don’t have competition so if I had to pick - test drive or not buy at all I’m ok with going in blind knowing it’s a Tesla.

Though first time I sat in a 3 was after I owned it.

Reactions: Jimmy T
I know this may sound crazy but how many people actually purchased their Model X without test driving it?

I should have test drove it, but watching every singles video and my general obsession made me feel like I knew every inch and I ordered one without ever driving one. I know that's ridiculously silly considering the price, but oh well.. it's too late. Anyone else?

I went to the mall to have dinner at California Pizza and came home with a MX, Tesla had a store front in the mall and cars outside for test driving. I bought the MX off the showroom floor and waited 2 weeks for delivery. (Had to wait for another MX to replace the one I bought) . After I signed for it, they locked it up and there it sat waiting for replacement. Tesla contract with mall required 3 cars in showroom at all times. So I guess if you don’t mind a showroom car, and if you have a mall showroom near you, it might be quick. The mall store is a lot like an Apple store.

Reactions: Corbets and Jimmy T
Hehe.

l4sythe: "I will take this one."
Tesla OA: "Great. Let me show you the website and we can sit down and order it for you."
l4sythe: "No. I will take *this* one here!"

;):D:)

I went to the mall to have dinner at California Pizza and came home with a MX, Tesla had a store front in the mall and cars outside for test driving. I bought the MX off the showroom floor and waited 2 weeks for delivery. (Had to wait for another MX to replace the one I bought) . After I signed for it, they locked it up and there it sat waiting for replacement. Tesla contract with mall required 3 cars in showroom at all times. So I guess if you don’t mind a showroom car, and if you have a mall showroom near you, it might be quick. The mall store is a lot like an Apple store.

Hehe.

l4sythe: "I will take this one."
Tesla OA: "Great. Let me show you the website and we can sit down and order it for you."
l4sythe: "No. I will take *this* one here!"

;):D:)

Hahaha! They didn’t even offer the website, only for setting up my account for the down payment and to set up the delevery info. All I asked was how soon, and they lead me down the path after my test ride: I read all the long wait stories on here and realized the luck I had.

Reactions: Jimmy T and K3Man