Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people actually test drove before buying?

Did you test drive before you purchased a Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a serial Land Rover owner. There I said it. (phew.. glad to get that out there).
I have three kids, the oldest of which at 15 years old is a freak of nature.. he’s already 6’3”.. and still growing. Im 6’3”, 45 and only growing in one direction now (out the way :) ).

My car is a 2014 LR4 (Discovery 4), which has 7 seats and is one of the more practical SUVs available in the UK. I started to pay attention to Jaguar’s I-Pace, devouring every youtube video since March, every news article, every published road test.. i was absolutely sure i was going to place an order for a ‘First Edition’ model, in red, with the big wheels... really really sure. But how big is it? Will my stupidly tall son fit? I called Jaguar dealers up and down the country.. ‘Do you have an I-Pace in the showroom?’ All summer i have persisted.. no one had one. Eventually i got fed up. Perhaps I should look at the new plug-in hybrid Range Rover or Range Rover Sport? Land Rover dealers couldn’t tell me much about them.. “when will they be for sale?” I probed, no one knew.

I work for a valley tech company and so in July on a recent work trip I was on my way up from an off-site in Monterey and made good time, so decided... ‘thats it. Nothing else for it’ - I will go to the Palo Alto SC and have a really good look at what Tesla are doing.

They had a gorgeous MX P100D in white, with a white 6 seat interior. A dark grey MS and a MC Red 3. I got the chance to just sit and talk and surmise. The SC was great. They answered all my questions and spent time with me, despite the fact that if I were to buy one it would be from Edinburgh in the UK.

Would my freakishly tall son fit in anything Tesla made though, that was the question.. A week or so later, we popped along to the Edinburgh showroom. Would he fit?

Unfortunately not. At least not in a Model S. But happily i can confirm that he does in a Model X.

I was ready to place an order there and then, but again number one son, in a rare moment of sense and circumspection urges me to not be so impulsive and actually wait and test drive a model x. This somewhat dampened my mood, of course he was right, but where is the fun in that? When would we be able to get an appointment? Would they have a 100D? After all I haven’t test driven the last 4 cars I’ve bought..

The advisor sensed my rapidly declining mood and suggested that if we drove from the store in Edinburgh (its located in an upscale pedestrian precinct shopping area of the city) to the Edinburgh Service Centre in Newbridge, that they could sort me out a test drive right away.

Over we went, and out we went in a dark grey MX100D. What. A. Car. This was driving the future!

We got back and promptly ordered and bought a Multi-Coat Red Model X 100D with the black 22” turbines, White 6 seat interior, Premium package, Carbon Fiber trim and Enhanced Auto Pilot.

Roll on Sept 10th for Delivery.

Signed, One Happy Chappy... and a giant for a son.

Wow, how times have changed the Model X buying experience. I had a reservation for about 2 years before getting into the Design Studio - well in advance of Xs being available in the stores. Even did a factory tour, but there was not a single X in sight. My X was the first one I'd ever touched! I'm glad I got it early so I could experience all the "WOW" reactions from people. Those have died down over the past year or so...

Wow, how times have changed the Model X buying experience. I had a reservation for about 2 years before getting into the Design Studio - well in advance of Xs being available in the stores. Even did a factory tour, but there was not a single X in sight. My X was the first one I'd ever touched! I'm glad I got it early so I could experience all the "WOW" reactions from people. Those have died down over the past year or so...

2 years later it still has tons of wow factor. There is nothing like it available today. I liken my P100D to the performance of what Ferrari would want out of an SUV.

Reactions: Jimmy T
Wow, how times have changed the Model X buying experience. I had a reservation for about 2 years before getting into the Design Studio - well in advance of Xs being available in the stores. Even did a factory tour, but there was not a single X in sight. My X was the first one I'd ever touched! .

I have to say that the experience of looking, touching, driving and experiencing the car at a Tesla store / Service Centre is really good compared with the 'old' way of having to deal with a franchised car dealership of other brands. The attention, "non-pushiness" and the lack of the up-sell (no hard up-sell push on Alloy wheel damage insurance, tyre insurance, Paint and Interior protection preparation, GAP insurance etc) was great and was mirrored regardless of the country / city that I visited (both Palo Alto, USA and Edinburgh UK Tesla Stores.)

I did not test drive either the S or X. I saw the S sitting next to me in traffic and was hooked.
30 mins later, arrived home and click click click......it arrived 58 days later and I've had zero regrets.
And it was again a click click click 9 months later for the X, except by this time I had actually been in a Tesla. :D

Tesla, at our request, loaned us an MX for an afternoon. My wife and I took turns driving it and we were sold. We traded a MS, which we purchased after a test drive about two years previous. Biggest factor was ease of entry/exit, visibility of traffic (higher seating), AP2+ as opposed to AP1 and the giant windshield. We test drove an X when Tesla brought a couple to Portland on a demo tour. It felt to big for us at the time. It was a 7 passenger version and felt really crowded with all of the head rests sticking up behind us. After the X test drive we walked over to an S that was sitting there, had another test drive, and signed papers for an S.

We have grand children. The FWDs are terrific for handling little critters.

Reactions: GoCanes and Jimmy T