Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ModelXBoy

No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!
Jan 3, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hi TMC

There are increasing amount of complaints toward the build quality of the X, from doors, wheels, fit and finish, to center console. I am wondering how many people are getting a problem free model X? This does not mean it's perfect, but definitely acceptable condition.

Please provide following information if possible:
1. What Vin is your Model X
2. Did you test all doors and test them frequently to see any visible problems?
3. Did you test most if not all the functions of the car yet?
4. How many miles do you have on the car now?

This should give us a better idea if there are some Model Xs with acceptable conditions or just people not spend enough time yet to find out the problems.

I don't think this is very useful.
There seems to be some different definitions of "no problems" or "flawless" that people use.

There are people here who post that they have no problems with their X or that it is flawless.
Then they add things like it is really loud, but they say it is in spec", or that the panels aren't well aligned, or...or...then they add "I will ask them to look at it later"

Same applies to "acceptable condition".
Everyone can have a different viewpoint of acceptable (for instance, if my car was as loud as a vacuum cleaner due to wind noise, I would not view that as acceptable).

How about this: how many people did not have to and are not planning to go back to the SC for any follow-on work?
That captures whether the car was properly tested and delivered in manner that a $140k car owner deserves.

Reactions: dhrivnak
There seems to be some different definitions of "no problems" or "flawless" that people use.

There are people here who post that they have no problems with their X or that it is flawless.
Then they add things like it is really loud, but they say it is in spec", or that the panels aren't well aligned, or...or...then they add "I will ask them to look at it later"

Everyone can have a different viewpoint of acceptable (for instance, if my car was as loud as a vacuum cleaner due to wind noise, I would not view that as acceptable).

How about this: how many people did not have to and are not planning to go back to the SC for any follow-on work?
That captures whether the car was properly tested and delivered in manner that a $140k car owner deserves.

This is good one! Now how do you edit the thread title?

It's not useful and there already is a thread like this that died. This thread will be on page 3 in no time.

It wld be nice to see a significant number of X owners say that they have no issues that require service. On the other hand those owners may be out enjoying their X instead skulking around here.

Took delivery today vin 18xx. I drove it quite a bit. Over 200 miles. 90D with everything. Delivery experience was fine, but not great. The delivery guy was not my initial contact that I had some good correspondence with prior to my delivery date. He was from a nearby showroom center that a lot of experience with sales but no delivery experiences so he was rushing through things because they were trying to get through deliveries as quickly as possible. Car is flawless and meets expectations so far (very early).

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi and mikevbf
I strongly recommend you watch this video from Consumer Reports:

They entire episode is mostly about reliability, but they talk about how introducing a redesigned or all new car will lower reliability. A few years ago Ford was one of the most reliable names in cars in the US, but they introduced a bunch of redesigned cars over the span of a couple of years and they dropped to the bottom third in overall quality.

Basically the more radical the changes, the more teething problems the car is going to have. It's pretty much the way engineering works. If you want a reliable car with no issues, buy one that's been on the market a few years. If you want the newest thing, expect problems. You can't have both. This works for all technology.

The people who are zen about their Model X are probably early adopters who are willing to trade hassles for the latest thing on the road. They were probably the first people to buy a smart phone, hi res TV, and every other gadget to come along in the last 30 years.

I'm more of a early mainstream to mainstream kind of person. If I have a true need for the latest thing, I'll put up with the bugs, but generally I like to see the worse problems worked out before I get something new. The few times I have been an early adopter I got lucky and had a good experience, but then I was probably expecting problems too.

Working in R&D, I've had to work with a lot of buggy products in a development environment, so I am used to dealing with bugs. The difference is I have power to fix the bugs (or get the guy responsible for them to fix them), so it is a different environment.

The Model X is going to have ongoing problems for a while. It's one of the most complex production cars ever built. Personally I think it's very over engineered and it's going to take longer to work out the bugs than the Model S. It does have the same drive and power systems as the Model S which means those are pretty reliable at this point, but everything above the skateboard is new and all is prone to problems.

If you want a Tesla that wasn't going to have teething problems, buy a Model S or wait 2-3 years until all the problems with the Model X are worked out.

It's one of the most complex production cars ever built.

This mantra gets a lot of repetitions but... what IS there so complex in X?
Doors? Don't make me laugh.
Windscreen? A single piece.
Seats? Really, that is complex?

X is no more complex that any run of the mill car, it has its subsystems that may not yet be tuned to exact note but eventually they will be.
Want a see a most complex production car? Go look at Porsche 959 with 11 clutches and what not... now that was one complex dynamic system.

X is no more complex that any run of the mill car, it has its subsystems that may not yet be tuned to exact note but eventually they will be.
Want a see a most complex production car? Go look at Porsche 959 with 11 clutches and what not... now that was one complex dynamic system.

The falcon wing doors are so complex the first supplier failed and they contributed to most of the delays. The front windshield is a complex shape that requires special effort to form correctly. The front doors are actually simpler than the Model S. The middle row seats need to move in a rather complex fashion and they still need to be strong enough not to break free in an accident.

ICEs are getting more complex with more transmission gears and hybrid drive becoming more common. The drivetrain of the Model X is quite a bit simpler and has been proven on the Model S, so ICEs are more complex there. The Model X has a very difficult to build passenger compartment and body though.

I respectfully disagree. I won't even try to respond properly as the difference in opinion seems too large for me to even try. Model X doors are a marvel of engineering. I will give Porsche credit when they come up with something like that. Same with windshield and monopost seats. It's easy to disqualify something while talking and it's very challenging to actually do it. Let these car manufacturers whose designs haven't changed in decades built something like Model X, then it will be worth a comparison.

It wld be nice to see a significant number of X owners say that they have no issues that require service. On the other hand those owners may be out enjoying their X instead skulking around here.
I agree with bhzmark and MXboy, it would be very nice to get some balance around here of reports from Model X owners with very few to no issues. As someone who lives over two hours from a service center, I feel I will need to keep delaying my delivery or give my 5k up until a significant number of trouble free reports start coming in. In the meantime I plan to like (if that matters at all) every positive and negative report a new Model X owner takes the time to report here that adds to the picture.

agree. What makes that argument disingenuous is that some of the issues here aren't related to the unique things about the X or S (e.g. FWD) but rather basic things like panels not aligned, parts not painted, weather stripping, pano roof, etc.

They entire episode is mostly about reliability, but they talk about how introducing a redesigned or all new car will lower reliability .

That is a really lame excuse for poor engineering, really poor quality control and bad business decisions. If you put out a product expecting that the public is going to do your testing and find all the unreliable aspects of it, you deserve to have a bad reputation for quality. Thank God drug manufacturers and medical device providers don't put out new products the way some companies in the auto industry do. LOL.

Lexus did it right. They designed well, tested well and patiently put out a new quality product (in a class they never competed in before) that has been on the top of the charts for reliability from the beginning.

Reactions: Southpaw
You would probably be better to post this on the TeslaMotors forum rather than the TeslaMotorsClub forum at least there you can set the message to PRIVATE and hopefully get less people who want to gather information against Tesla. This would also eliminate people responding who don't even own a Tesla and have no business responding to this message which is aimed at Model X owners. It would be better to add some qualifiers to your question. To me what is most important factor is their VIN which will determine if it was manufactured after fixes were put into place.

Reactions: Rdainer
I agree with bhzmark and MXboy, it would be very nice to get some balance around here of reports from Model X owners with very few to no issues.

OK. Here is one more happy owner. My "issue list"
  • Faint scratch on on headlight cluster
  • Scratch on back of the passenger seat
  • spot of extra glue on the windshield by the rearview mirror/camera cluster
  • One FWD door that is balky about 1/4 times
That is the sum total of my issues. Rocklin was all over the first three and is waiting for a part for the FWD. Bottom line, I am satisfied with the initial quality and, based on my experience with my P85, I trust that Tesla will fix anything not perfect.