Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early Sig here - the car is fine. There was a software issue that kept the glove box in "valet" mode and we couldn't open it. Sometimes, passenger door won't fully auto open. Battery died in one of the keys.

But there are really no show stoppers. The best car we have owned.

Glad to hear that! Once my X is fully fixed, i will sure to enjoy my X as much as you are. ;)

The challenge of quantifying defects depends on the acceptance level for each owner. In other words, how nitpicky is each person about the way a vehicle has been constructed?

Rather than being frustrated with each new issue that occurs with a software upgrade or other anomaly, I have summarized my feelings on another forum this way:

"IMHO, a Tesla Motors vehicle can be entertaining as a puzzle for those who love a challenge and have a logical mind to solve problems through research, discussion, and constant awareness of the operational state of their electric vehicle."

Actually, from this comment: "There are so many more features and difficult to build parts on [the Model X] than it is necessary for us to sell the cars." it sounds like the real problem is that the car was over engineered, not that it was too advanced. (he actually didn't even say too advanced in that article).

This can easily happen when engineers go nuts on creating a new product - building something for the sake of building something, rather than focusing on building products that are easier to produce and maintain that still hit the mark in terms of customer needs.

he also said "the most difficult car in the world to build."

yeah, that can happen when engineers go nuts. But I don't see how this is more difficult to build than a McClaren or Bugatti.

• Love
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
The challenge of quantifying defects depends on the acceptance level for each owner. In other words, how nitpicky is each person about the way a vehicle has been constructed?

Rather than being frustrated with each new issue that occurs with a software upgrade or other anomaly, I have summarized my feelings on another forum this way:

"IMHO, a Tesla Motors vehicle can be entertaining as a puzzle for those who love a challenge and have a logical mind to solve problems through research, discussion, and constant awareness of the operational state of their electric vehicle."

Yes Mark, You are exactly correct. I was very excited for the X. I have been with my X for 1 day before entering the SC for fixes. The problems are there, some owners overlooked, some owners don't care. Some owners might got a worse than average build quality. At end of the day, issues will be fixed, people will be happy again. I have learn that throughout my entire car purchasing life, nothing is perfect.

The X reminds me of my first iphone, I was the first to get a Iphone 2G, back when you can not use on another carriers of your choice, can not travel with you because it's not worldwide phone. I was one of the first to jailbreak the phone, i was one of the first to bootcamp or parallel my mac to also run PC. Now the X. These are all great experiences to me.

I don't know. For $140k I think Tesla's customers can be as picky as they want to be. For the Model 3, not so much.

I am the first to want to dink with my car, coddle it, add features and try everything out and get giddy when something new shows up. But it is also a car that is not strictly for shows. So at the end of the day you should expect to be able to climb in, press the accelerator and have the car take you where you want to go safely and efficiently, with no worries.

Reactions: ABCCBA
A simple brightline is whether the SC recognizes a problem or not and is/will fix it under warranty. How many xs are in service vs how many are not? And esp how is that changing for later vins as it did for s.

...So at the end of the day you should expect to be able to climb in, press the accelerator and have the car take you where you want to go safely and efficiently, with no worries.
I am pleased to report that since day one, Model X has always done that. The drive train is built with the added reliability of the improvements to thousands of Tesla vehicles before it. During the drive there are no worries.

It's the seat and door movement that is new, unique and waiting for that same reliability. As the engineers perfect what's new, the retrofits and software updates will provide improved perfection over time. As with Model S, my Model X is better today than when it was new. Tesla Motors goes beyond most companies in regard to product improvement for all buyers past and present.

Reactions: BornToFly
I am pleased to report that since day one, Model X has always done that. The drive train is built with the added reliability of the improvements to thousands of Tesla vehicles before it. During the drive there are no worries.

It's the seat and door movement that is new, unique and waiting for that same reliability. As the engineers perfect what's new, the retrofits and software updates will provide improved perfection over time. As with Model S, my Model X is better today than when it was new. Tesla Motors goes beyond most companies in regard to product improvement for all buyers past and present.

I miss my X so much. I really want to bring my new born daughter everywhere we go with the X. Now according to my Tesla App location tracker, it's in the SC parking lot : ( probably still waiting for the parts to come in.

• Love
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
vin 20XX is perfect so far (got it this morning), all alignments look perfect, road noise was fine, doors work great, spoiler seems to be active, no sunshade (forgot to ask, but don't feel I need it), also asked about wall connector being out of stock and they had no idea

Congrats! Please keep us posted, hopefully it will remain flawless! Let me know if you get any updates regarding the sunshade.

I finally got to drive the Model X P90D on highway 18 to Lake Arrowhead. The road is windy climb into the SoCal mountains.

No problems. The performance is better than Model S P85. I was passing others on the 4 lane section without trying. Wonderful road handling and comfort. Very pleased and Ludicrous mode was turned off.

Nice, whenever it snows I take my family to Snow Valley for skiing and sometimes stay at the Lake Arrowhead Resort. Please let me know how the range goes, I believe a round trip should be possible without recharging. I am in Irvine so about 75 miles away from Lake Arrowhead so that should be about 150 miles total but I am not sure how much range would be lost from the mountains or heater.

I believe they have Tesla Wall Connectors at the resort so charging is possible for an overnight stay.

Reactions: Rdainer
...Please let me know how the range goes, I believe a round trip should be possible without recharging...
Round trip from Irvine to Lake Arrowhead is possible. The navigation system will inform you of the percentage of charge remaining.

If additional driving is necessary, the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger is an excellent stopping point to add range before or after the mountain drive.

mine is a Sig X received on 15 Jan 2016 and has ~3000 miles at this point. I would describe a "problem" as something requiring a piece of HW to be exchanged... In our case, one of the original keys was DOA and has been replaced. No other physical changes have been required. We HAVE RECEIVED SEVERAL OTA SW updates addressing both New functionality as well as Improvements to existing functionality. I don't consider these as "problems"....although some folks might!

My only "problem" with our Model X is that I hardly ever get to use it!!! Jennifer has claimed it and has declared that she "can't actually drive any other vehicle now"!!! Doors that open and close automatically, Summoning the car into and out of our rather tight garage, and all the other differences between the S and X have become features she "can't live without"...

cheers,

jdiii

My only "problem" with our Model X is that I hardly ever get to use it!!! Jennifer has claimed it and has declared that she "can't actually drive any other vehicle now"!!! Doors that open and close automatically, Summoning the car into and out of our rather tight garage, and all the other differences between the S and X have become features she "can't live without"...

cheers,

jdiii
Once when my sister and I shared a car I complained that she always got to drive it and I told her the car was half mine. Her reply was that she had the drivers half and I the passenger half. Hard to argue with that when you are 16 years old. :)

I picked mine up yesterday got a due bill on sunshade. "Is the tint on the panoramic windshield adequate at blocking sunlight?" Yes! Not sure what others are concerned about. Ventilated Seats work and A/C ice cold had to turn up to 72 to keep from freezing. Also a surprise there is wood on the center console now and it's setup for towing the hitch itself will be available for purchase at a later date. I had a day of pleasant surprises. My 90% is 238 with 22" wheels. Hope this helps :)

The only downside the update killed my right front door SC is on it's way to drop off a loaner and take my X back and fix it... how's that for service.