Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's one of the most complex production cars ever built.

This mantra gets a lot of repetitions but... what IS there so complex in X?
Doors? Don't make me laugh.
Windscreen? A single piece.
Seats? Really, that is complex?

X is no more complex that any run of the mill car, it has its subsystems that may not yet be tuned to exact note but eventually they will be.
Want a see a most complex production car? Go look at Porsche 959 with 11 clutches and what not... now that was one complex dynamic system.
for one thing - they only made what - some 300ish or so 959's ? And complex doesn't say anything about the 959's reliability for one thing, any more than it did for our '89 speedster. I'm sure It had at least as many 'needs' as the more complex 959. Plus, It's likely there'll be a whole lot more X's on the road than that 300 number - probably more each month. It's a whole different ball game hand building a few cars versus production. I could be wrong, as I don't manufacture cars ... and maybe you do.

Reactions: madodel
I picked mine up yesterday got a due bill on sunshade. "Is the tint on the panoramic windshield adequate at blocking sunlight?" Yes! Not sure what others are concerned about. Ventilated Seats work and A/C ice cold had to turn up to 72 to keep from freezing. Also a surprise there is wood on the center console now and it's setup for towing the hitch itself will be available for purchase at a later date. I had a day of pleasant surprises. My 90% is 238 with 22" wheels. Hope this helps :)

The only downside the update killed my right front door SC is on it's way to drop off a loaner and take my X back and fix it... how's that for service.
Please show a pic of the wood on the console.

for one thing - they only made what - some 300ish or so 959's ? And complex doesn't say anything about the 959's reliability for one thing, any more than it did for our '89 speedster. I'm sure It had at least as many 'needs' as the more complex 959. Plus, It's likely there'll be a whole lot more X's on the road than that 300 number - probably more each month. It's a whole different ball game hand building a few cars versus production. I could be wrong, as I don't manufacture cars ... and maybe you do.

Hand building something is far more labor intensive, but potentially you get a better product from all the extra attention.

I remember reading a WW II's pilot's recollection between flying a British Spitfire and an American P-51 Mustang. Both had the Merlin engine designed by Rolls Royce. The Spitfire had a hand built engine made by Rolls Royce and the Mustang was powered by a Merlin mass produced under license by Packard in the US. He said both performed quite well, but the Rolls built Merlin ran much smoother than the mass produced engine from Packard.

A massively complex car can be built to quite high standards by a team of experts who build them one at a time in a workshop, but the result will be very expensive and quantities will be low. On the other hand you start running into problems with mass production if your product is difficult to build.

People have been complaining about the slowness of the production ramp up on the Model X and I suspect a major reason for the slowness is the complexity of the design. I don't think they will ever be able to build Model Xs as fast as Ss unless they make some design changes to make it easier to build.

I was showing my new MX to a friend when he pointed out the missing rubber stopper on the hood of the frunk. I don't know how I missed it during delivery inspection.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 143
We picked up our Signature X in Santa Barbara on Monday, and the car is perfect. We have had no problems with it at all.

I even spent hours going over it in detail yesterday for a writer with Green Car Reports. The car has been totally reliable, worry free, and extremely fun to drive.

We will be taking it back to the Santa Barbara store tomorrow, but only to put down a deposit on a Model 3 !

Ron
SigX VIN #484

I was showing my new MX to a friend when he pointed out the missing rubber stopper on the hood of the frunk. I don't know how I missed it during delivery inspection.

That's crazy they would forget to insert a stopper. Must have been rushing to get it out the door.
Not sure if you have mentioned this in other posts but have you had any of the door issues on your X since taking delivery?

Your X #2 should be around the corner right...looking forward to the photo shoot!

ModelXBoy - looks like you are getting quoted in the media - http://seekingalpha.com/article/3961782-tesla-model-x-slow-get-right

Wow, this is crazy. What happened to my car is exactly what happened, all records on on file for all the fixes. I just stated the honest fact and problems to my car. I will tweet Elon Musk and let him know the problems so he will better Model X quality control each and every batch. I think my experience can be a great feedback for Musk, and hopefully I can contribute for making Model X a much better car in the future. Also due to the rarity of my problems, i really hope my problems with my car is isolated problem so no future Xs will have similar problems.

Wow, this is crazy. What happened to my car is exactly what happened, all records on on file for all the fixes. I just stated the honest fact and problems to my car. I will tweet Elon Musk and let him know the problems so he will better Model X quality control each and every batch. I think my experience can be a great feedback for Musk, and hopefully I can contribute for making Model X a much better car in the future. Also due to the rarity of my problems, i really hope my problems with my car is isolated problem so no future Xs will have similar problems.
True, but people need to realize that Tesla already knows about all the problems from their Service Centers. At the Tesla forums, posts like this can be made private so that only owners can see them. The problem with posting here is that dishonest people will use the limited and skewed data to make negative generalizations about all Tesla vehicles, and report that to the world as fact affecting all vehicles.

Yep, didn't take long for the Bears in the media to use complaints here to their advantage. I wonder if they are writing articles about the Volvo owner on this forum who's car was undriveable the day after they took it home....

Tesla is different in that they are pushing a different business model and a new technology platform, so it is natural to ask "how is that working out".

Volvo sold over 500k cars last year and has solid financials, so there is nothing particularly newsworthy in a car that is undriveable.

Tesla certainly gets a lot of press with all their new announcements, (when did you last read a main story in the USA Today about a Volvo that won't come out for another 1.5 years?) and so it isn't unusual for them to also cover negative issues when they come up.

Ya take the good with the bad.

True, but people need to realize that Tesla already knows about all the problems from their Service Centers. At the Tesla forums, posts like this can be made private so that only owners can see them. The problem with posting here is that dishonest people will use the limited and skewed data to make negative generalizations about all Tesla vehicles, and report that to the world as fact affecting all vehicles.

And the upside of posting here and not having things private, is that people who are about to pick up their vehicles know what to look for. That is a huge value to the public. The Service Centers knowing the problems does not yet appear to be enough, but in time, it will be.

Besides, facts are facts and generalizations are generalizations. If you are smart enough to be able to afford a Tesla, you should be smart enough to know the difference and use the info in these forums to check out you vehicle when you pick it up.

And the upside of posting here and not having things private, is that people who are about to pick up their vehicles know what to look for. That is a huge value to the public. The Service Centers knowing the problems does not yet appear to be enough, but in time, it will be.

Besides, facts are facts and generalizations are generalizations. If you are smart enough to be able to afford a Tesla, you should be smart enough to know the difference and use the info in these forums to check out you vehicle when you pick it up.

This is exactly what my intentions are. I have no idea my car is in such bad shape since I paid 162K for it (All options added, yes even the wheels and sub zero package for been in CA). I love the car, don't get me wrong, but I am a vocal car enthusiast, if there are problems, as long as they are fact, I will report it. This is a great way to educate other buyers some potential issues and a great way for Tesla to get feedbacks. I do not regret for post my problems, I think my post should get Tesla's attention, and in return, give us a better car down the road.

Picked up prod 36xx from Portland yesterday. I have driven 400 miles almost entirely on autopilot. Works great. Zero problems with the vehicle. Doors work perfectly the many times I have shown them to my friends. Auto driver door is amazing. Seats move as expected and very easily. I see everyone holding the seat button in videos, you do not need to do this, just one touch and it slides all the way forward. One touch and back. Falcon doors work perfect, no malfunctions and car drives amazing. Way quieter than my Model S from 2013. Rear visibility sucks, but that was expected with the 7 seat option. It is my opinion that most cars are problem free. It makes sense that more complaints are posted than problem free vehicles because the complaints are hoping for solutions where the problem free are just enjoying the car. I did not receive a sunshade or promise of one, I didn't ask. The tenting is almost too dark. I was hoping to see stars at night :(