Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hiring the long time Audi engineer Peter Hochholginger is a great move. Audi has been manufacturing some well received cars (Consumer Reports rates Audi #1) and he hopefully has the experience to increase production and quality of the Models S and X. One obvious move to increase both, at least in my eyes, is to make the Falcon Wing Doors on Model X optional. This would increase production and hopefully give a boost to the stock price, which has been in the doldrums lately.

Reactions: Drivin
Stanford Mall has a Tesla store ... but zero (!) charging stations. Ugh. I assumed they'd have a whole parking row of chargers by now -- seems like an ideal win-win location.

Off Topic:
Tesla employees I've spoke to said Stanford Shopping Center has been hostile toward Tesla. First they had to fight to get parking spots for Demo/Test Drive Cars, and now Stanford isn't allowing them to install chargers. The Stanford Shopping Center is also installing the largest L2 parking garage setup I've seen, 40+ parking spots have conduit run to them for charging in the Quarry Road parking garage -- the entire back wall (both floors) and another wall (makes an L shape), are setup for chargers.

Hiring the long time Audi engineer Peter Hochholginger is a great move. Audi has been manufacturing some well received cars (Consumer Reports rates Audi #1) and he hopefully has the experience to increase production and quality of the Models S and X. One obvious move to increase both, at least in my eyes, is to make the Falcon Wing Doors on Model X optional. This would increase production and hopefully give a boost to the stock price, which has been in the doldrums lately.

The falcon wing doors are such a fundamental element of the car body construction there really is no way to replace them with something else without doing a complete redesign of the body. Making it optional would require them to build essentially three different bodies on the same platform: the Model S, the X v1, and the X v2.

Tesla is trying to make the production process simpler, not more complex. They are stuck with the falcon wing doors. That's not going to change for a long time and if it does change, the feature will be eliminated entirely.

Reactions: ohmman and madodel
The falcon wing doors are such a fundamental element of the car body construction there really is no way to replace them with something else without doing a complete redesign of the body. Making it optional would require them to build essentially three different bodies on the same platform: the Model S, the X v1, and the X v2.

Tesla is trying to make the production process simpler, not more complex. They are stuck with the falcon wing doors. That's not going to change for a long time and if it does change, the feature will be eliminated entirely.

You are probably right. I tend to compare the FWD with convertibles. While both look cool and get the customer (me for one) into the showroom, once there, reason sets in and they drive out with a sedan. I am not an automotive engineer, but if a company can make a car where the whole roof comes off as well as "old fashioned" sedans, then in my mind that should also be possible with the X. I fully agree that without the wings, the X will not be the X. But as such, it will always be a very small niche model, for some very enthusiastic fans. But if you look at the automotive histories, the few Mercedes 300 SL gull wing fetch in the million dollars today, but since that model, Mercedes has no longer produced such doors. Why?

I've been enjoying my P90D for just over two weeks now and aside from a few minor cosmetic issues that have been well covered in other posts, I am pretty thrilled with the whole experience.....

Almost two months and counting, and still enjoying my experience (with no trips to the Service Center).

But I do wish they would fix that @$#% TuneIn account login bug!

Reactions: madodel
Ugh oh.....thought I was getting off relatively light....minor stuff: driver side latch area paint scratches, missing plastic cover in back, driver door seal not fully covering paint but I now have another major item.

In addition to significant passenger front door noise issue (triangle seal I'd bet), the front passenger window is now grinding and hitting plastic as it rises.

Just back from XPEL Ultimate + CS Black coating and to the shop....oh well......

Ugh oh.....thought I was getting off relatively light....minor stuff: driver side latch area paint scratches, missing plastic cover in back, driver door seal not fully covering paint but I now have another major item.

In addition to significant passenger front door noise issue (triangle seal I'd bet), the front passenger window is now grinding and hitting plastic as it rises.

Just back from XPEL Ultimate + CS Black coating and to the shop....oh well......
Try recalibrating the window... This has been reported to be a problem for some who have had front windows tinted. Something to do with the car powering down while doors are open messes up calibration. Otherwise the tinting guys may have pushed the window a bit too hard and that is causing it to slide away from the rubber seal.

Try recalibrating the window... This has been reported to be a problem for some who have had front windows tinted. Something to do with the car powering down while doors are open messes up calibration. Otherwise the tinting guys may have pushed the window a bit too hard and that is causing it to slide away from the rubber seal.

Thx...no tint though....:(

• Funny
Reactions: swesson
We took delivery of a 90D (VIN 41XX) last week. Overall delivery experience excellent. Have approximately 400 miles so far. A couple of minor issues:

1. Auto lane change works with one of our driver profiles, but not both. Autopilot works very well with both profiles.
2. The FWDs want to do a full open despite being set to half open on the touch screen. When the surface of one the doors was wet, the plastic part around the wheel well touched the garage door rail after opening. The door stopped, just slightly late. I've tried the door many more times and its now stopping fine. Not sure if this was due to water on the door, but will continue to monitor.
3. Our daughter reports there is not enough storage in the rear seat area. We placed a container between the seats (6-seat config) to put pens/pencils, etc.

Had my X one week. Have a small creaking noise in the front that is just an occasional thing. Auto-Unlock works perfect if I have the auto-presenting door turned on. And the auto door works too, but I don't really like it on most of the time. When it's turned off the auto-unlock doesn't work as it should we have to press a door handle and then the car will beep and click and unlock, then we have to press a door a second time to open it. What's weird is this worked fine the first three days and then quit operating as it should. Other than that, all is well.

They are stuck with the falcon wing doors. That's not going to change for a long time and if it does change, the feature will be eliminated entirely.

I wouldn't stay they are stuck. It is a Tesla trademark, in a sense. Everybody around here knows it's a Tesla when all the other Moms are picking up their kids in the old Honda Minivan. It's worth the money. As my daughter video texted me the first day, they came by saying, "Is that a Tesla? Your family is so cool." You can't buy that.

And now that Tesla has figured out how to do something WAY cooler than those old clunky sliding doors that don't even open all the way, why should they change? I don't think that will ever happen. Sort of like all the complaint and worry about door handles on the S when it first came out. "Nothing but a problem," they all said. Now? Nothing but cool.

Tesla is not everybody else's car.

Reactions: swesson