TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How Many People Have You Convinced to Reserve Model 3 (☰)...?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Red Sage, Dec 29, 2016.

?

How many others have you convinced to reserve Model ☰?

1. Ten or more.

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Seven or more.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Four or more.

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. One or more.

37 vote(s)
    42.0%
  5. None.

33 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

There is another rather popular thread here, filled with people who are considering the option to CANCEL their Model ☰ Reservation. There are a variety of reasons for that. Someone suggested there might be a better way of spending our time. So, with that in mind... Of those of you who have put in a Model ☰ Reservation yourselves, how many others have you convinced to do the same since?

• Like x 3
  2. gregd

gregd Active Member

Oops, I probably shouldn't have voted, as I personally don't have a reservation (very happy with my Roadster), but talked to my daughter about the car, and she signed up.

• Like x 2
  3. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Perfectly OK if you voted. I just wanted to see who had helped to contribute to the ever-growing list of those signed up for... 'The WAIT'.

4. spentan

spentan Active Member

family of 4 (family friends, all 4 reserved), 3 cousins, and another 7 family friends, and easily more than 10 friends.

So yes, Ten or more for sure!

• Like x 3
  5. DrivingTheFuture

I've convinced 3 other people!

• Like x 1
  6. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

0. I gush about the car all the time. But most people aren't planning for a car 2 years from now enough to make a decision on it. And those who need a car now...well...need it now. I'm sure I'll convince a handful once I actually have it though.

• Like x 3
  7. tsla007

tsla007 Member

I held a meeting in town after advertising on radio and in newspapers. I had over 400 people attend.
    I told them to email me after they put in their order- 53 is the current count with reservation numbers
    in their emails. If you want to hit it big you need to be motivated and invest into it-I put $10k up front of my own
    money to do this. I will most likely hold another meeting after model 3 unveil part 3 (2 really). I want to get over 100 people into
    a tesla. I'll be doing test drives on Saturdays after I get my m3.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

0. I have a reservation myself, and several of my friends are interested, but they quite understandably find the lack of sales and service in Michigan to be a major stumbling block. (I have to say it weighs very heavily on me, too!) We're following the court case with quite a bit of interest.

• Like x 1
  9. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Wait, hold on. I'd like to understand what you said a bit better.

You held a meeting in your town and advertised in local media for people to attend? During the meeting, what did you discuss/present?

You said: "If you want to hit it big you need to be motivated and invest into it-I put $10k up front of my own money to do this."
    What does hit it big mean? Was the $10k spent on other things aside from advertising?

What is in it for you to do all this? Referrals, so you can win Tesla's referral contest?

• Helpful x 2
  10. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I did not myself try to convince anybody but I answered questions, and kept informal track of people who said they'd put in orders. Thus far there have been 12 confirmed reservations. However, three of them so far have bought current production cars, a SP90D, and XP90D and an S75. There were others whose actual decisions I cannot confirm.

I rather suspect that current owners as a group probably influence at least a couple purchases per year each.

FWIW, it is the worst kept secret in marketing that enthusiastic current users are the cheapest and most effective salespeople,
    With the Tesla 91% intention to buy another, I'm confident that it is not just TMC denizens who are selling. Tesla referral programs have worked but many of us, I am one, do not actually use our own codes. Over the programs I have five known S sales in addition to the three S and X above, none of which use my code, most of which were when a referral program was not active.

Of course part of this is OT for Model 3 reservations. Still, Model 3 reservations clearly are converting to S and X sales, new and CPO, at an unknown but surely substantial rate. Seriously, how often has anybody ever seen vaporware (OK, Model 3 is not exactly vaporware) act as a halo for current sales, for that matter who's ever heard of the cheapo version of something act as a halo for the high end.

Tesla without any doubt is the most blatant outlier I have ever seen. FWIW, among other quals, my PhD was in marketing and I have taught and practiced the subject for a long time. My outlook has been quantitative, so I've never been an advocate of advertising when there is a better choice. I have seen all sorts of very high end products sell splendidly without any public positioning. I've never seen a mass market product sell without it, never anything remotely like Model 3.

For precedent it seems to me we must look to the inventions/innovations of people such as Thomas Crapper, TA Edison, AG Bell, Henry Ford, Cyrus McCormick and Eli Whitney for parallels. (so sorry I don't think N. Tesla makes the grade in marketing terms)Their innovations were mostly not immediately seen to be earth-shattering, but all lived to see their efforts transform lives that thought there was no need.

OK, maybe the Silicon Valley crowd should be on the list. They aren't because their innovations, beginning with William Shockley, are all part of our current thought processes. They are enablers for major life changes but are not actually transformational to the mass public, no matter how they accept the changes.

Those older ones actually changed the nature of agriculture, urbanization and mobility. This time Tesla is redefining what a car is and leading the process for redefinition of what auto-mobile means. The world is trying to follow and deny who's leading. And so it was for all those other people more than a century ago.

So, directly on topic. How can a vaporware mass market $35,000 car actually produce a halo effect for a >$100,000 car?

• Like x 2
  11. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

I convinced my wife to let me get one - that was hard enough :)

• Love x 4
    • Like x 2
  12. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

None.

YET.

The startup my wife worked for was recently acquired by one of those Silicon Valley companies that acquires everyone. She had to go to their HQ as part of orientation following the acquisition, and remarked at how many Teslas there were in the area (duh), and while on her morning run near the HQ, she stopped at the Supercharger to "talk Tesla" with a few owners....

Now, she wants to buy a house closer to transit, and either make us a one-car household once I receive my Model 3, or become a 2 car EV household....Model 3 and "TBD"....

She thinks she'd be OK with a Leaf or a Bolt, if hers will only be the "city car", but she's going to wait out the used Model 3 market, or even potentially the Model Y down the road.

• Like x 2
  13. tsla007

tsla007 Member

#13 tsla007, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Held a meeting to talk about solar (catamount solar was present) and Tesla all electric cars. In the ads I stated what the meeting was for. the 10k was for promoting (newspapers/radio ads) "All about the Tesla model 3" the meeting/food/beverages/open bar/reserving the place etc. I had a huge powerpoint presentation to show everyone and it took about 1.25hrs. We had many model s available for test drives. People really perked up when we discussed what the 3 was price point and the performance and the solar guys kicked in and got a lot of jobs out of it. At the time a lot of people haven't heard about the Tesla. I'm guess about 33% of the public still hasn't a good concept of what a great car it is. I got 5k back from the solar company because it went so well for them.
    I wasn't looking to get any money back. I'm just trying to promote the best US car there is and one that doesn't require blood oil.
    I'm not saying it was profitable. Heck no. But I want to see as many teslas on the road that can be. I might even give a couple m3 away in 2020 to college grads with medical licenses *board certified*.

The powerpoint presentation was about the car just like elon's keynote/unveil. I included a lot of extras-like powerwall/solar roof on the house/ how it works/ charging/ other general car questions. I also included why I did it-I've had 8 close friends who were killed in desert storm 1 and 2. I hate oil with a passion. We would have never gone to war there if there wasn't oil being pumped out that the US needed to keep the price down. I did not do it for referrals. Don't care about that at all.

• Like x 7
    • Love x 4
  14. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Just two others so far! Ordered one myself that will end up being a family member reservation as I love my X.

• Like x 1
  15. ryanakata

ryanakata Member

I convinced two people, but one cancelled when he read some clickbait article about deliveries not starting until 2020. o_O The other guy may be about to cancel, but to get an X instead. He also reserved an Elio that I feel he will never see.

• Like x 1
  16. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

The top 3 reason are:
    $35+ is too expensive.
    The batteries are designed to die after 5 years (no idea where they got this one from...).
    Will not get the car in time to apply for the tax credit.

It's very hard to educate people when they believe everything they see on YouTube.

But, I know of at least three people who are interested, but want to see one first, possibly mine...

• Helpful x 1
  17. trm2

trm2 Member

I'm too busy trying to convince everyone (ahead of me in line) to cancel!

• Funny x 6
  18. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'd bet about 5, but all before reservations went bonkers. Most now think the line is too long and are going to wait for first deliveries

• Like x 1
  19. eisbock

eisbock Member

Where in CT are you located? I'm in the Hartford area. Curious where all this went down. There aren't a ton of Teslas in CT seeing as you can't buy them here and I was looking forward to being one of the few CT Tesla owners ;) ...at least until this state gets its *sugar* together, but now I see that you're single-handedly driving those numbers up now!

20. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

None that I know of. Most of my co-workers and family think I'm "drinking the Kool-Aid" by giving EM $1,000 of my money for a car some of them think will never be produced. I hope to prove them wrong by having a car before the end of 2018, and them being blown away by its sheer awesomeness. Hope I won't be disappointed.

• Like x 1