Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people here got selected to visit the Gigafactory grand opening this weekend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I entered twice (two opportunities from Tesla, nothing from the first time but a second email inviting me to try again arrived July 16, I entered right away, and received the "please RSVP" email on July 19! I'll be there FRIDAY with my +1 !!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: jbumps
I entered and received the invite. Leaving West Los Angeles Thursday morning for my first long ride up to Reno/Sparks.

Nice! Your first long trip, eh?

It's an easy trip - when in doubt, collect Superchargers along the way (better to stop or to charge extra before leaving an SC or both). Even though it's just 500 miles or so, don't forget the .csv file from evtripplanner.com so you can see which legs have more or less net elevation.

I'm headed that way as well (up to the Oregon Coast and then back down to commune with the redwoods), but alas, no miracle +1 has yet materialized. I'll wave as I pass by the area.

Nice! Your first long trip, eh?

It's an easy trip - when in doubt, collect Superchargers along the way (better to stop or to charge extra before leaving an SC or both). Even though it's just 500 miles or so, don't forget the .csv file from evtripplanner.com so you can see which legs have more or less net elevation.

I'm headed that way as well (up to the Oregon Coast and then back down to commune with the redwoods), but alas, no miracle +1 has yet materialized. I'll wave as I pass by the area.

TaoJones, not sure how to move the route on the EV Trip Planner. The route shows going through mountain passes H-395 versus taking the central California which is much flatter I-5 or H-99. It would be interesting to see the comparison before leaving.

TaoJones, not sure how to move the route on the EV Trip Planner. The route shows going through mountain passes H-395 versus taking the central California which is much flatter I-5 or H-99. It would be interesting to see the comparison before leaving.
395 is a beautiful drive and not to be missed. The valley is dull in comparison. I've driven 395 many times and there are now plenty of Supercharger stops so take 395.

Reactions: Monymgr
Thanks! It has actually been a few years since I've taken it, trips to Mammoth for skiing. My only concern was it might be a slower drive. Regardless I hear there are some fun tables in Reno! =:-}
A lot of the road has been improved to 4 lane divided so it goes fast. I believe that the distance is shorter than going through the valley. There are Superchargers in Inyokern, Lone Pine, Mammoth and Gardnerville (Topaz Lake) so no worries about charging.
When my 85D was new, I actually drove from Tahoe down 395 to Lone Pine which was the only Supercharger open at the time (and on to Death Valley, Las Vegas and back) ... I just made it.

• Helpful

Good point - it can be done by changing interim destinations but it's not as clean as drag and drop (a la Google Maps). That said, as above, the 395 is a good run - I can't remember if that's what Nav/Trip Planner recommended for the way down, or if I had to force it by specifying Mammoth Lakes. Either way, friends don't let friends drive the 5 unless absolutely necessary.

• Funny
BTW, if you're looking for a fun drive, head up Mt. Rose hwy to Lake Tahoe. Beautiful drive from 4000 to 9000 ft.with a great view of the lake on the way down. The road (NV 431) starts just south of Reno off US395.
You can continue along the west shore and take US50 to Carson City.
Virginia City is also fun in a very kitschy way.

I was not selected to go, however, a Tesla buddy has invited me as his +1 so I'll be driving to Elko, NV tomorrow and then on to The Gigafactory Friday. I must say I am very excited to attend my very first Tesla Event while being an investor and owner since 2013.

Reactions: ModelX